“Fabulous food night!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Barcelona Taste

The Barcelona Taste
Ranked #9 of 162 Food & Drink in Barcelona
More attraction details
Owner description: The city's first gastronomical tapas tour, The Barcelona Taste is about food. And lots of it! On this 2-3 hour food tour we stop in 3-4 small food establishments in either the famous Gothic or the lovely Gracia neighborhoods of Barcelona. Our venues range from high-quality specialty shops to home-style tapas restaurants, each one with its own scrumptious specialties for you to taste. A knowledgeable and very friendly guide will safely lead you through this labyrinth of a neighborhood, all the while sharing stories about Barcelona life, food, and history. You will enjoy all the cuisine, and, due to the small size of the group, you will also enjoy a more personal, relaxed experience.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Lewes, Delaware
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fabulous food night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

What a great foodie tour we had, starting with the most delicious cheese at a small shop on a tiny street and our first taste of fabulous wine. Throughout the tour, Jo and Ramiro peppered us with information that brought color and vitality to the tour. And they were fun and interesting people, who love Barcelona and everything local, who infuse the tour with their passion and interest. We went to two Tapas restaurants, where the food was beyond glorious and ended with a wonderful dessert tasting with some great accompanying wine. The time just flew, sadly. We would have loved to spend more time with Jo and Ramiro and taste more food, though I doubt we had any room left once the tour was over. We did get a repeat, managing to wend our way to one of the Tapas restaurants that we'd so enjoyed for our final Barcelona dinner, thanks to the directions Jo gave us. We'd do this tour again in a second and will if we return to Barcelona!!

Visited April 2013

• Hebrew first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best part of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were looking forward to this tour since we are foodies who love to try new things and get off the beaten path. We were a little hesitant to do this in Barcelona since neither my husband nor I speak any Spanish or Catalan for that matter.

Just so Joe knows who we are-the couple from Philadelphia on the 4/9 tour-my husband did the Porron nearly perfectly...

I’ll admit I didn’t find The Barcelona Taste on tripadvisor, but in a specific internet search on food tours in Barcelona. They had the best website, and we could tell by the site the guides would be a blast to hang out with. We were NOT wrong! Joe was our guide, along with Anna and right from the start they made us laugh and feel comfortable! An email prior to the trip indicated where we should meet. We had a small group of 8 people which was great. Joe explained why the number is limited to 8 and it was as a result of the first place we went- the cheese shop wasn’t big enough for any more. My kind of place.
We went first to the lovely cheese shop owned by a Scottish woman-tasted cheese and wine, then wandered over to an authentic tapas spot and sampled several unique tapas-different from the things we found on the main roads. A side note, Joe was very nice to ask if anyone had any allergies, food preferences or aversions in advance of ordering! We also sampled homemade Vermut, with a spritz of soda water. From there, dinner at a traditional Catalan restaurant owned and run completely by 2 local women. Here we discovered the Porron, which is a Spanish drinking vessel that when done properly reminded me of a classy keg stand. The women who owned the place I believe, if my wine and vermut brain isn’t too foggy, have a farm and grow many of the vegetables they use in the restaurant. We finished the evening off with dessert at an old Bodega, along with some cava! And if that wasn’t amazing enough- he provided us with a map with the locations marked that we visited so we could go back.

A note to Joe- the cheese shop was NOT easy to find the next day. HAHAHA Barri Gotic is kind of like Hogwarts and things moved from one night to the next. We did end up finding Kathryn and purchasing a bunch of cheese to take home (I also got a picture of the place-her permission was granted of course). We didn’t make it back to the Vermut place but our minds were expanded for ordering options the next day thanks to you! We also purchased a Porron from a neat shop in Barri Gotic.

I can’t recommend this tour enough if you want a FUN evening with people who enjoy the same thing you do-food, spirits and great conversation!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jennifer M
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great walking "tasting" tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

On a business trip to Barcelona, I had booked this tour based on trip advisor reviews. We were not disappointed. This was an extremely fun and interesting tour. Our guides were well versed in local customs and history, as well as fun to hang out with. Each place we ate had unique and wonderful dishes. We would never have enjoyed such an eclectic evening of tasting on our own. It was well worth it and I would recommend to anyone visiting Barcelona. They even have us ideas for other places to shop and see while in town. A great experience!!

Visited February 2013
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Perfect Introduction to the Barcelona Food Scene”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I had a fantastic tour with Dave from The Barcelona Taste. Apparently, this was his first solo tour, but we never would have known it. There were three other people on the tour with us, and we all had a great time talking and learning all about the tapas, drinks and desserts of Barcelona. Like the other tours, we visited four spots: one was a small cheese shop with a lovely owner who told us about her experiences selling cheese in Barcelona for the past 20 years; two focused on tapas (albeit different types); and at the last we enjoyed dessert. There is definitely enough food for dinner. Dave gave us some other recommendations based on our requests, such as for chocolate con churros. Dave was also easy to talk to and made us and the group as a whole feel comfortable on our second night in the city. He asked all of us about ourselves as well as shared some information about his personal experiences in Barcelona. Hats off to Dave and The Barcelona Taste for an excellend tour!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Amy H
Stockholm, Sweden
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Our second time and even better than the first!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was our second trip to Barcelona and the second time we booked this tour as we enjoyed the first visit so much. As we had already done one of the tours, Jo emailed us in advance to meet in a different location to try out some other tapas bars so that we didn't go to the same ones as last time.

My husband and I were the only people on the tour, so it was really nice to catch up with Jo since the last time we saw her, and we had such a good time; I can honestly say I have not laughed as much in a long time, it was a great night.

This time we also tried some other catalan dishes that we were not familiar with, so would never have ordered them ourselves, which is one of the reasons why this tour is so brilliant. All of the food we had was excellent, plenty of variety, and we also tried some drinks that were new to us such as vermouth and sherry.

Our favourite place on this tour was Cal Marino which had lovely food and the owner came over to tell us what the cheeses were that we were eating.

I know some think that the price is quite expensive, but Jo is a wealth of Barcelona information, and after the tour she emailed us with some recommendations of other places to eat during the rest of our stay. She also suggested some other things that we had expressed an interest in, such as a great street in El Born for shopping, which turned out to be just the type of place we like to go to.

Overall, for all your food, drinks, entertainment and your follow up email of recommendations, I think the price is well worth it.

We will be doing the tour again on our next trip to Barcelona!

Visited March 2013