“Gourmet tasting menu”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Eixample
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had the "small" 10-course tasting menu that was a real treat. The macrobiotic trend seems to be pretty big in gourmet Spanish cuisine, so you could tell that an enormous amount of labor went into creating each dish. Our favorites were the black turnip with veal marrow and the beet gnocchi. The carrot - orange nitro "popcorn" was a little gimmicky, but seemed to be a way to demonstrate virtuosity.

A small note on the service: I gave it an average score not because it was not attentive enough (far from it - our wine and water glasses were constantly refilled, albeit just a few drops at a time), but because we felt rushed. The first course was served within five minutes of us arriving, and they seemed to be brought out every 5-7 minutes, so we were done within less than 90 minutes. This type of meal should be savored, not hurried. Overall, though, a very nice meal and experience that could be even better.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Organized as a birthday treat on my recent Barcelona escapade, Gelonch did not fail to impress us.
A slick environment coupled with beautifully designed dishes full of explosive flavors and textures.

We went with the 10 dish testing menu and Thank god for that!! Apart of one dish that it wasn't to my liking, I had nine more to rave about!!! One better then the other! The stuff were very friendly and uncomplicated and the prices very very reasonable for that level of gastronomic excellence!!
We'll definitely go back in our next visit to Barcelona!!

1  Thank Theodora03
Reviewed January 2, 2013

my husband and i went for the 16 course tasting menu on a quiet wed eve. just us and 2 other tables which was just lovely. restaurant is small but nice and cozy. comfy seating and lovely waiters - very knowledable and excellent english. overall the meal was very good. some standout dishes include, black onion cake, prawn crisp (both divine), duck mini burrito, turnip with veal marrow (melt in your mouth), all the sauces (such diversity and flavour), the guacamole dessert and the toasted wheat ice-cream (one of the best ice-cream flavours iv ever tried). some courses that wern't as good include the soup (too salty), the pork dishes (too fatty) and the cheese with aubergine sorbet and banana caramel (really did not work well together). the wine was also excellent and not bad value. not quite a michelin star place but well worth a trip.

1  Thank owlbeonholiday
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hate to do this, but when I feel I've been hoodwinked I have to say it like it is. First of all, the restaurant atmosphere reminded of walking up to a third rate hotel. The lighting was so garish. Walking in there was a look of "unfinished" decor. We were shuttled upstairs, thankfully, since a group of immature diners came in shortly after us and made the place sound like a frat house. The upstairs looks like a closet turned into a dining area. Our waitress Monsa was cool to start, but warmed up as the night wore on. Biggest complaint! When someone orders a vodka and is willing to pay 15 dollars for it, and you are using the tiniest cocktail glasses filled with ice...don't pour a finger of liquid and act like you're doing me a favor. The food was ok. The last two dishes were the stars. The nitro carrot popcorn is a bore...carrot juice frozen into popcorn shapes with little to no taste. The soup was ok, but I kept getting hints on Magi soup enhancer taste on my buds. The razor clams were excellent, as were the two meat dishes. Dessert was forgettable. Sorry guys, but you need to do a little bit more to keep sophisticated clients happy, otherwise your place will be filled with frat and sorority types only. Another big boo...place was filled with tourist and no locals. Always a bad sign.

2  Thank hdss379
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had the most delicious meal here on Saturday night. Food was presented in the most professional way and each dish was explained so that we knew exactly what was being eaten. The attention to detail was second to none. This was one of the best meals both myself and husband have ever eaten, not just for the food tasting but the whole overall experience. The black onion cake - I could have eaten a plateful and the duck burrito was to die for. While I started to struggle with the whole 16 courses (but I got there in the end) I think I would have felt a little disappointed if I'd only had the 10. Go for the works I'd say.

I can't recommend this place highly enough and the staff were lovely!