“What a fantastic find thanks to Trip Adviser”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Room Mate Emma

Room Mate Emma
Ranked #73 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“What a fantastic find thanks to Trip Adviser”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have recently returned from a four night stay in Barcelona. We left booking a hotel fairly late and having looked at the reviews on Trip Adviser I chose Room Mate Emma. The room rate was very competitive so I was a little anxious as to what I might be getting. However it was everything it said in the review and more.

On arrival I was very impressed by the greeting from the staff, the reception area was bright, clean and welcoming with fresh jugs of flavoured water available. Our room, on the seventh floor, was great, very clean, modern and with many little touches often missing in some hotels; ie there was a plug right next to the vanity mirror so I could actually dry my hair properly (I don't like hotel hairdryers, so I didn't try the one in our room). There were plugs at the side of the beds so the phones can be recharged overnight if needs be etc.The room had a great flat screen tv although I can't say we really turned it on and there was free, unlimited wifi available. When you check in they give you a card automatically that has all the details you need.

If I was to make a small critisism it would be that there were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room. I must admit I did miss that on a couple of mornings when I had a "thick head" from the night before and a cup of coffee would have helped. I didn't want to get dressed and go downstairs to get a coffee.
There is a breakfast area, where I know tea and coffee was available along with breakfast, it certainly looked nice but we didn't try it as I prefer to sample the local cafe's etc.

Location wise you could not ask for better. It was one block from the metro which took you to the Sagrada Familia, although you could easily walk and two blocks from the Metro that had a direct link to the airport. The Ramblas and all other main attractions were less than ten mins pleasant walk or two stops on the metro.

The metro was easy to negotiate, we got a ticket with ten trips (T10) which was cheaper and offered you more flexibility. Although on a nice day the open air city bus is a great way to get around. There are two companies offering this; Touristic and City Tour; we chose city tour as their buses had a roof that could be pulled across if it rained whilst still giving the impression of an open air tour. (and it did look a bit threatening on one of the days we used the bus) I would suggest a two day ticket for 31 euros each rather than 24 euros for one day. You can hop on and off easily and these buses go to all of the major sites in the city.

Back to the Hotel; there are plenty of really good places to eat all within a block or so of the hotel, turn up the road almost opposite to the hotel and keep walking. Endless choices.

I would definately use this hotel again when I next go to Barcelona and I have already recommended it to a friend who is planning a trip next year.

Room Tip: Our room was on the seventh floor, facing the road, there was some road noise, mainly from drunks on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fiona D
PepeFuxa, Director General at Room Mate Emma, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Fiona,

Thank you very much for the nice comment you have made about your stay in Room Mate EMMA and specially for sharing it with other Tripadvisor users who will surely find those tips offered about your experience in the city very interesting.

We are very glad to know that we have met your expectations and it is very nice to us that you value as more positively those aspects which we give more importance as cleanning, location and the quality of the service provided. That give us strenght to continue improving day by day to offer a memorable stay to each of our clients.

It would be a huge pleasure to all Emma team to welcome you back in our hotel if you ever decide to return to Barcelona and please, do not hesitate to contact us again if your friend finally decides to visit the city. We would be really glad to help you with anything you may need.

Acommodation Manager of Room Mate EMMA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

A wonderful 4 nights at Emma. The room was perfect and the cleanliness excellent. The room maid was first class. The staff in the breakfast room were also very helpful. We were able to book an extra room for One night for our daughters 21st and they made it very special at an excellent price. The hotel was well placed for the tourist attractions. I would recommend this hotel chain to you.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda J
PepeFuxa, Director General at Room Mate Emma, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Linda,

The whole Emma team is very grateful for the beautiful words you have dedicated us in your commentary.

We are very happy to know that you and your family had a nice stay with us but most of all we are pleased to know that with our work we helped you to organize such a special surprise to your daughter as a 21st birthday surprise has to be. We really hope she had an unforgettable experience, specially with the cake surprise during breakfast time.

We hope you keep us in good memory and it would be a great pleasure to all of us to welcome you back in our hotel if you ever decide to return to Barcelona.

Thank you so much.

Boston
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had stayed in a Roommate hotel last year in Grenada, so I knew that it would be a nice place and a good value. But this new hotel exceeded these expectations. The modern rooms were very comfortable, with a fantastic shower, big screen tv, free wifi, etc. Breakfast is abundant, and well worth the 7 euros just for the espresso. The location right outside of Catalunya Square was perfect, with acessability to everything Barcelona has to offer, much of it within walking distance. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful with suggestions. Thanks especially to Esther and Oliver. When my friends and I decided to stay in Barcelona for an additional two days, Bofa Barrio went out of his way to accommodate us, despite a match going on between Madrid and Barcelona. I'm not sure how he did it but I'm grateful to him for his efforts.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
PepeFuxa, Director General at Room Mate Emma, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Daniel;

On behalf of the entire team of Room Mate EMMA, I want to convey our sincere thanks for taking your time and explain to all readers of Tripadvisor your expertise in Room Mate EMMA during your stay in Barcelona.

These assessments help us to know that our daily efforts in each of ours departments they are reflected in customer satisfaction and above all help us to continue in improvements to offer all our customers the best experience in their stays in Room Mate EMMA.

If you return back to Barcelona, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards.

Pepe Fuxà.
General Manager Room Mate EMMA&PAU.
Lancs
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just got back from romantic break with my husband. Our first stay at a Room Mate hotel but wasn't disappointed. Booked penthouse suite with balcony which was very clean and spacious (especially for European hotel). Bath and shower with hair dryer but no iron in room. Lounge area had mini bar. Location great as we prefer to be away from main tourist areas. But still within walking distance of metro station, la Rambla and Sagrada Familia. Reception staff lovely and friendly. Provided us with lots of maps and advice including recommending good restaurants and tapas bars. Location also great for shopping, main Designers can be found along Passeig de Gracia. We didn't eat in the hotel but plenty of choice nearby. We purchased T10 ticket for metro €9.50 which we shared between us. Metro was easy to use with Diagonal nearest station; cable car up to Castellated de Montjuic is a must just for the views. Will definitely stay at a Room Mate hotel again and would recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KJBee72
PepeFuxa, Director General at Room Mate Emma, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Madame,

Is a pleasure for the whole Emma team to know that you and your husband enjoyed your romantic break in our hotel.

If with our work and atenttion we have helped you to organize and enjoy this special occasion we are more than satisfied and eager to keep improving to continue helping our customers to enjoy a memorable stay with us.

Also thank you very much for recommend us to your friends.

If you ever return to Barcelona or any of your friends or relatives do, please do not hesitate to contact us again. It will be a pleasure to help you out.

Kind Regards,

Fife, Scotland
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was our first stay in a Room Mate hotel and it was a very positive experience. We arrived late in the evening to a very warm welcome from Oscar on reception and checked into our room which, although compact very comfortable and furnished in a funky yet tasteful style. The hotel was in a very good location, only a short distance from Diagonal metro station and little more than 10 minutes walk to Placa de Catalunya. There were a wide variety of restaurants and bars within easy walking distance - including the Restaurant Balthazar, recommended at the hotel. Breakfast was the typical continental offering of cereals, juices, cold meats, cheeses, pastries,etc. All of the staff were very pleasant indeed and always extremely helpful - Oscar particularly so. I would certainly use other Room Mate hotels and have no hesitation in recommending this one.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back may be quieter than those at the front overlooking the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Markinch-Traveller
PepeFuxa, Director General at Room Mate Emma, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Customer,

As Room Mate Emma acommodation manager and on behalf of the entire team I want to say how pleasant we feel that EMMA has met your expectations on your first experience in a Room Mate Hotel and we are even happier to know that you enjoy your stay so much that you recommend us on tripadvisor website.

Our primary purpose is to help our guests to enjoy their visit to the city and work hard day by day to provide them with a memorable stay. Our special thanks for your comments about the work of our staff and specially the nice words about our excellent recepcionist Oscar. He is very happy about it.

Do not hesitate to contact us again if you decide to come back to Barcelona.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Room Mate Emma for a long weekend in late September.

This was our second stay in a Room Mate hotel and we were not disappointed.

The hotel is well located - 20minute walk to La Ramblas (or €5 in a taxi) with plenty of nice bars and restaurants in the vicinity.

We paid for a penthouse with a large terrace. The room was fine with a very nice shower. Breakfast was good and the all staff very friendly (from reception to the cleaners).

I would 100% recommend this hotel. The only reason I have not given it 5 stars is I felt the room was a little expensive for the type of hotel at €200 per night.

Room Tip: The penthouse with balcony was nice but next time we would go for a cheaper room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Thomas,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay at Room Mate EMMA with other tripadvisor users.

As you rightly say the location of our hotel is one of our greatest strengths. Eixample is a very nice neighborhood close to the main city center and full of restaurants and places which allow to the city visitors to fully enjoy Barcelona city's life.

Our sincere thanks for the warm words dedicated to the work ot all the staff of EMMA. That really make us to keep on improving and providing our customers with excellent service and attention.

If you ever decide to return to Barcelona, please feel free to contact us. It would be a pleasure to us to welcome you back in our hotel.

Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for a long weekend 14 -17 September. Unfortunately our room was not cleaned when we arrived, and it looked as though there were a few issues around the front desk so we were moved to a sister hotel for the first night. This was pretty unsatisfactory as we had arrived very late on Friday night and had planned our trip on pretty much heading out straight away. It took a while to move (the taxi the hotel called pretended he did not know the way!) and the room were given in the sister hotel was not what we had booked (executive) but in fairness we were not charged. The desk attendant at the other hotel was very apologetic and helpful and gave great advice on a local tapas restaurant which we ended up going to and to sister restaurant beside placa de catalunia on 2 of the other nights. We were moved back to the pau mate on Saturday morning. I had expressed my dissatisfaction and said I wanted to speak to the manager but I was surprised that this was not done when we were moved back.

In any event all of the staff in pau mate were very friendly and we didn't let the set back with the room mess up detract from our weekend. The hotel is in a fantasic location, on Fontella just beside the airport bus stop on place de catalunia. The rooms are nice, small perhaps but cleaned each day and beds made and fresh towels. There is a fridge in the room and you can buy beers etc from downstairs at the desk. Breakfast was very adequate and the coffee machine in the breakfast area made a decent coffee. Only thing was the beautiful terrace does not open after breakfast. I am not sure why this is because it is very nice and would be cool to hang out there and have an afternoon drink.

All in all while unhappy I was never spoken to by the manager this is very nice little hotel, in a great location with excellent and friendly staff. I am marking a 4 out of 5 but would really give it a 5 out of 5 only for the experience we had. I will without doubt stay here again and would have absolutely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Executive room on internal terrace I would imagine are quieter. There are some executive rooms with...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest;

On behalf of all the components who works in Room Mate Emma and Pau, we first of all apologize for the incidents suffered on arrival at our hotel.

We are both very happy that our daily work and attention of our staff both Emma and Pau help you to have a pleasant stay in Barcelona.

I am sorry not to have been able to meet in person, but if you want to return to Barcelona, please feel free to contact me again, I will be very happy to help you with your reservation and your stay.

My best regards.

Pepe Fuxà.
General Manager Room Mate EMMA&PAU.