“Strong, Thick, Spanish Chocolate”

Granja La Pallaresa
Ranked #13 of 124 Bakeries in Barcelona
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Wonderful, hidden, Spanish cafe tucked away down Carrer de Petritxol street in the Gothic area of Barcelona. When our family went, there were two older gentlemen running the shop, I believe one was the owner, who was WONDERFUL! The hot chocolate was more of a thick, dark, chocolate pudding than the kind of hot chocolate I know. We are a family with three boys, and one cup of the famous hot chocolate with churros, along with other goodies would have been a better idea, than a cup for everyone. We enjoyed our first morning in Barcelona here, along with this Spanish tradition.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I have no idea what the fuss is about. This place is awful!
You buy your churros at a shop a few doors down and bring them into here to get the chocolate to dip them into.
1. The dipping chocolate for churros is always thick, bitter, plain chocolate. If you are expecting a yummy milk chocolate, forget it. This dark chocolate is horrible and thick.
2. The place itself is a bit of a dump. We were sat on 2 very uncomfortable seats and the table was actually just a slab of marble balancing on a wooden platform.

Do yourself a favour and don't bother with here. We tried 3 different chocolates and they were all horrible.

3  Thank cartagia
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is the place for Catalan (or, rather, Barcelonian traditional "merienda" or mid-afternoon snack. Not very comfortable, but you must do it if you want to feel local. Try the "suizo" or "suïs", hot chocolate with a generous topping of milk cream, the house speciality. Opening hours can be strange for a foreigner, so check in advance or be prepared to go another day (it's right in the city centre)

Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is a great place to stop for a break while walking around Old Town Barcelona. We ordered the famous Churro con Chocolate and it was wonderful! You dip the churro into the cup of chocolate. The chocolate was so thick and rich - not too sweet and without being bitter. Highly recommended.

1  Thank VancouverLeslie
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I can't decide if I liked the real whipped cream better or the chocolate. I want to try one more time before I leave Barcelona. I might try the chocolate by itself just to get the true taste....the whipped cream definitely changes the texture and taste of the chocolate. And, I might see if they have the traditional "sponge cakes" instead of the churros. All in all, my friends loved the cup of chocolate and cream. The chocolate is not hot and the cream makes it only warm. It did not matter, it tasted heavenly. It is on my favorite street in Barcelona ---narrow,a bit hard to find, difficult to pronounce ....but with unique shops along the way including a other sweet shops.