“Merienda tradicional”

Granja La Pallaresa
Ranked #13 of 121 Bakeries in Barcelona
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is the place for Catalan (or, rather, Barcelonian traditional "merienda" or mid-afternoon snack. Not very comfortable, but you must do it if you want to feel local. Try the "suizo" or "suïs", hot chocolate with a generous topping of milk cream, the house speciality. Opening hours can be strange for a foreigner, so check in advance or be prepared to go another day (it's right in the city centre)

Reviewed June 21, 2014

This is a great place to stop for a break while walking around Old Town Barcelona. We ordered the famous Churro con Chocolate and it was wonderful! You dip the churro into the cup of chocolate. The chocolate was so thick and rich - not too sweet and without being bitter. Highly recommended.

1  Thank VancouverLeslie
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I can't decide if I liked the real whipped cream better or the chocolate. I want to try one more time before I leave Barcelona. I might try the chocolate by itself just to get the true taste....the whipped cream definitely changes the texture and taste of the chocolate. And, I might see if they have the traditional "sponge cakes" instead of the churros. All in all, my friends loved the cup of chocolate and cream. The chocolate is not hot and the cream makes it only warm. It did not matter, it tasted heavenly. It is on my favorite street in Barcelona ---narrow,a bit hard to find, difficult to pronounce ....but with unique shops along the way including a other sweet shops.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We each ordered churros and Spanish chocolate-very sweet, dark, thick dipping chocolate served in a cup. We thought it was going to be hot chocolate. Our Spanish acquaintances finished their cups of chocolate. One order of churros and Spanish chocolate would have been plenty for 3 people.

1  Thank DeborahandAndy
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We went for the churros and chocolate (the thick, Spanish style drink best tackled by dunking churros in or eating with a small spoon) - and my goodness! We really did enjoy them!

The waiting staff were friendly (and offered menus in English as well as Spanish!) - but we already knew what we wanted. We did order an iced lemon drink too - lovely as a 'refresher' after the rich chocolate (and to cool us down when we first arrived). Four portions of churros, three hot chocolates and an iced lemon for less than twenty euros.

We loved the art on the walls - my daughters fascinated with the pictures of the café itself that they spotted.

Clean toilet too!