“Cold and greasy churros”

Granja La Pallaresa
Ranked #13 of 127 Bakeries in Barcelona
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

It was my first time trying churros in Spain and I ordered Spanish chocolate and churros and those were cold and greasy which I didn't like it

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had not set out to find this cafe, but after a long day of strolling the gothic, it just appeared at a perfect time. It is a perfect place to stop, sip something and eat a little desert. It was crowded but the service was quick. The "english" menu left a lot to be desired, so we pointed and pantomimed our way to what we wanted.

Many were getting the churros and chocolate, but we opted for Catalan cream (Spanish Creme Brûlée with a custard that has lemon zest and cinnamon) plus a tall glass of chocolate milk with a generous cloud of heavy whipped cream that we stirred together.

It elevated our blood sugar and introduced me to Catalan cream.

2  Thank ArizonaArchitect
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I love the churros and so do the kids. We ate it warm and it's crispy on the outside & soft on the inside. The sweetness is just right and it's not oily. The hot chocolate is also my favourite especially during the cold winter days. The whipped cream on top was good though adds to the calories. I dipped the churros with the hot chocolate for a double whammy. Yes, there are many visitors to the store but there are ample seats. They also serve other types of breads, deserts, etc. It's located near the Las Ramblas area so when you are tired walking, do sit down and have some churros & hot chocolate.

1  Thank ShanazNazeeha
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

OK, it is located in a "touristy" area of Barcelona, we did have to stay in line for 10 minutes. Then got in. Our order was taken immediately, even though, place was busy. Spanish chocolate was thick and delicious, churros were hot and crispy. We were asked several times if there was anything else we needed. Overall, we left happy and satisfied.

1  Thank kruzers19
Reviewed November 15, 2012

If it is your first time in Spain and you've never tried churros before, maybe it will be good enough for you. However, if you've had good churros and real chocolate, then this will be a big disappointment. I first came here years ago and the food was fine then.

Now, I will tell everyone to avoid this tourist trap. We had a horrible foreign waiter (non-local) who couldn't speak either Spanish, Catalan or English and just dumped our plate of churros on the table (one actually fell off the plate). I've never had such rude service here in Barcelona since I've started living here. The other staff seemed nicer though. The churros were cold and dry, really nasty. The "hot chocolate" was full of cornstarch.

I don't understand why locals continue to come here (tradition maybe). It is crowded with tourists, has horrible lighting, and overpriced. I felt bad taking my friend who was here on holiday. I made it up to her by taking her to the real churreria and my favourite granja nearby.

Never again! The other crap place is Farggi (churros weren't as bad as here but we got served liquid hot chocolate, not the thick one!)

2  Thank rtwfoodie