“An excellent boutique hotel, convenient and great service”
Review of Sixtytwo Hotel

Sixtytwo Hotel
Ranked #15 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“An excellent boutique hotel, convenient and great service”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Excellent location at the Passeig de Gracia, embodying all that is wonderful about Barcelona -- great design, great service and great attention to details. The hotel is located within walking distance of Barcelona attractions. It felt cosmopolitan in a boutique hotel-like way, and we hope to be back. Gracias!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Olney, Maryland
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I really enjoyed our short stay in SixtyTwo Hotel. We stayed in a suite, which I found totally worth it. We arrived early and after a quick check to see if the room was ready, were allowed to drop our luggage off before going to explore the city. The suite was nicely appointed. The deck overlooked Passeig de Gracia and had lovely lounge chairs but was not private at all. The rooms above us would have been able to look down directly on us. Kind of ruined any experience of lounging on the roof. The bathroom area is open but with sliding doors to give you some privacy. I enjoyed the modern lights and air switches but my husband did not. For example, if you had to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, the lights you turn on will disturb your partner. There's not really any option for just one light to turn on. We had a glass of cava in their bar one evening as it was our honeymoon, which was a lovely treat. The hotel is very close to great places for eating and a short walk to the metro. Save for very minor things which aren't really complaints, I very much enjoyed my stay and would consider this hotel again!

Room Tip: The suite was lovely but deck was not private.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Had a fantastic stay at hotel 62. 2 girls traveling on our own, was a bit worried about the area. Felt very safe and had no problems at all. The room was gorgeous, modern and very clean. The bathroom was stunning! I had requested a room with a view of paseige de gracia by email and that's exactly what we got. I would definitely go back again!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Bubz79
Europe
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The hotel is located in the center of Barcelona, within walking distance of most major attractions. It is decorated in a modern and unusual, in rooms many refinements and Gadgets, clean, tidy and well-kept.
We loved it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Excellent location . Walking distance to all the sites and Metro station. Right across the road from Casa Bastilo. Staff very friendly, polite and attentive. Quick check in. They didn't scan my credit card for a huge sum. The lobby smelt great. The décor was clever and novel. Very generous toiletries. Free wi-fi that was super fast and didn't require passwords and lots of set-up. The breakfast was splendid. Very calm and relaxed. Lovely selection in the cold buffet including hot bread and cava. There was also a hot menu (included in the price) -also tasty and well presented. Really couldn't fault this hotel. Excellent value.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cocoheff
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I'll start with the good part: Hotel Sixty-Two is, indeed, very well located and we were glad to have chosen it at first. We walked for most of the attractions and only when we went to Montjuic did we take a cab. The hotel is clean and modern looking. The bedrooms are good sized (the one we stayed at least) and the shower was very good. We didn't love the bathroom glass sliding door with no lock, but it is not a major problem.

Then, the problems began....

First I had to complain at the reception because we had left a big paper shopping bag near the window, nowhere NEAR the garbage can and although it was full of paper inside, it also had a handkerchief that my wife had bought. Well, the cleaning lady took it upon herself to throw that away. I made a complaint at the reception and was assured the manager would get back to me.

So that same night, a Friday, we went to bed late after having dinner out and my wife had a shower after we came back. Why I say this? Well... because at 2 in the morning someone started making noises on our door and, suddenly, two people came into our room. I jumped out of bed after my wife started screaming, only to be face to face with a french couple who had just arrived and had been given our room. So that meant that their key opened our door and there we there, inside, me and my wife on our underwear and the French guy wearing a suit and tie. "But this room is supposed to be ours!!" he said.

"Yes sir, but we have been here for 3 days already!" - I answered. So back they went while my wife was laughing as was his wife/girlfriend. But if he had arrived an hour and a half before, they would have walked right into my wife having a shower (the bathroom is right next to the door and the sliding door was open). So I called the reception and made another complaint. But at the same time told my wife I could bet the receptionist would not pass that one up because, of course, it had been his mistake to give our room. The most simple computer check would have shown the room was occupied.

So the next morning I went again to the reception and made another complaint, telling them of the seriousness of the situation. What if it was a woman, alone, and instead of a french couple, a drunken guest arriving, for instance? The receptionist said she had not heard about it and her colleague had not said anything. But she assured me the manager would do something about it because, she agreed, it was a very serious problem and I would be hearing from the manager. That was Saturday 10 in the morning.

We left the hotel on Monday at 10 in the morning, a full 48 hours after my second complaint and I never heard from ANYONE from the Hotel, neither about my wife's handkerchief, neither about the bizarre 2am incident, which could have been serious. There was not even a telephone call, a "so sorry" note, nothing!!!

I jumped out of bed, at 2 in the morning, while the room was completely dark and was face to face with two strangers right on top of the bed. Could I have punched the guy? Jumped him? What was I supposed to do? Thankfully nothing came of it, but it could have been a very different story.

So, both me and my wife were completely shocked that the hotel could simply ignore what happened and not offer a simply "sorry" note. Unbelievable disregard for the guests. And since actions speak louder than marketing slogans and website promotions, we must give this one star rating and warn other guests. You might go there and have no problems, just know that if you do, from our minor to our major one, you might find a deaf ear.

To make matters worst, when we returned home, fully 2 weeks ago, I sent and e-mail to the hotel reporting all of this and sending them a copy of this review, asking them for a position. Again, they simply NEVER even answered my e-mail. This is the same hotel that, on the many times I had a reservation question, answered all my e-mails in a matter of hours, so I know they got this last one. The lack of respect is shocking, I had never encountered anything like this before.

We will surely return to Barcelona we will probably look for a hotel on the same region, just a different one. We will never again stay at this hotel. For those of you that do, I wish you good luck, perhaps your experience will be different from ours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank FredJJ_Rio
BarcelonaHoteles, Manager at Sixtytwo Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear guest,
The whole Sixtytwo team is really sorry for all the inconveniences during your stay. As soon as I came back to the hotel I read the email you sent to me with the sames explanations you are sharing with Tripadvisor readers, and I immediatly send you an answer. As already mentioned on my email, we will be more than pleased to give you a very special deal for a future stay at the Sixtytwo!
Be informed we checked our electronic open door system and were able to see your door was not properly closed during the night you had visitors. These visitors were staying in your same room but on another floor and by mistake tried to enter in your room, but the opening list clearly said their key failed in your door.
Be so kind to accepct once again our most sincere apologies and we just hope to welcome you very soon and be able to change your mind about our services.
At your entire disposal,