“Beautiful food and terrace setting, though prime spot for theft. ”

El Cafe de la Casa de les Lletres
Reserve with
El Cafe de la Casa de les Lletres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,498 of 10,193 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant has a part indoor area and outside terrace style seating section. Being 7pm and a beautiful summers day, my sister and I decided to eat dinner out in the sectioned off terrace. The service was fine. Our entree bread was nice and when our meals came out they looked delicious. Just as we began to eat, a man came up with a piece of paper and laid it out on the table. We told him we didn't speak Spanish and he said he was after a cigarette (obviously can speak English). He took the paper and went. 20 seconds later my sister noticed her iPhone which was right next to her hand on the table has been swiped. We were sitting within the fencing and still this occurred. We moved closer in after the incident. Theft aside we finished our meals and warned others. The food was incredible. One of the best in our whole trip around Europe over the past 6 weeks. I highly recommend this restaurant. Though, sitting closer to the middle or inside the restaurant. With your belongings out of sight and secure. Such a shame to experience this at a very nice restaurant. Don't let this deter you, it was great. My sister had the Cod, I had the Sirloin Steak - incredible!

1  Thank Darg17

Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We went there because of the reviews on this page. But i dont know why people find it so amazing.. The food
Is way over priced for what you get really! The food is average tasting and the waiter is pushy and arrogant. And the entire time the cook was staring at us very annoying ! Regret going there could have spend my money on way better places!

Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

I was there with my wife in the evening. We have been received from the staff very gently. They look always for you, the food was served quickly. I had a varied salad as starter which was tasty. As second dish i had a meat with potatoes which was also well prepared. Outside in the terrace it was a little bit loud, but it was ok because of the music you hear. I can only recommend it!

Reviewed May 10, 2012

One of the reasons we picked the place was because it was close to our hotel & it took reservations (we'd heard you can wait a long time in Barcelona)
I decided I wanted something I was used to eating & ordered a steak medium well. It came out rare. I don’t know if it was lost in translation or that is what medium well is considered in Spain. I sent it back & it came back a little more cooked, but the outsides was about all I could handle eating. It came with undercooked potatoes too.
However, it wasn’t all bad. My husband ordered the fish that is cooked at 58 degrees Celsius & it is served over something that tastes like delicious au gratin potatoes. The services was good too.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Yet another amazing Barcelona restaurant. We chose to sit indoors and enjoyed a perfect 3 course lunch. chefs special soup with potato and mixed wild mushrooms, salt cod confit with trinxat (the classic potato bacon and cabbage dish from the region) and paprika infusion, nicely finished off with chocolate souffle with mojito sorbet. The perfect end to a perfect weekend away. We'll be back!