“One of the best hotels ever”
Review of W Barcelona

W Barcelona
Ranked #114 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 22, 2010

This is one of the best hotels we've ever stayed.
Very new, well designed, good service, friendly people. The hotel fronting the Mediterranean has a lovely beach running all the way to another superb hotel "The Arts".
The rooms are comfortable, very soundproof which is nice because of the great nightclub at the top of the hotel.
The W is conveniently located with easy acces to the main shopping district and numerous good restaurants.
We used it twice within 3 months and already it's our favorite spot in Barcelona..

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for W Barcelona

Reviewed November 15, 2010

The hotel really does think of everything, its the details that count and make a stay memorable. Our room was a corner room on the 3rd floor, which was great with wonderful views over the harbour and great atmospheric lighting. The decor is trendy. The bathoom is huge with a giant shower room and a separate bath, the bath products are large sized and from their Bliss range and they give you everything. They have a "whatever, whenever' room service which was great, if a little expensive. The Spa was wonderful, we had the steam room, sauna and heated jacuzzi to ourselves, so were really lucky and after a fab massage, slid out of there on a cloud of relaxation! The club/bar on the top floor has some great views. Only down side is its a walk away from the centre of town, but we found plenty of taxi's so no problem. I'm sure the surrounding area will be built up in time.

Reviewed November 9, 2010

Best location in Barcelona. Stunning views. Beautifull building.
Only negative point is the eclipse nightclub on the top floor. Local upper class have nightly parties over there with loud music from 11 P.M. untill 6 A.M (!!!!) . Could be heard 6 stories lower. This is not the right attitude of a hotel towards their guests, who pay over 300 euro's per night.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

We aren't beach people, or sightseers, or museum visitors, or adventurists when it comes to vacations. We want comfortable hotels in pretty places with good restaurants, great service and a few luxuries. We want to relax, eat, drink and be fussed over a bit. It’s just our preferred vacation style,
The W Barcelona certainly fulfilled our every vacation desire on our late autumn trip to Spain this year.
We chose a “Fabulous” room for the city/sea view: I love a poshy view with iPad in hand and a nice glass of wine by my side! Definitely worth the extra money. The room was lovely. Comfortable, modern elegant. The bed was extraordinarily comfortable and we loved that it was in the middle of the room. The room just demanded that you relax and enjoy yourself. The windows were spectacular. I spent hours on the window seat that extended the entire length of the room.
We also both loved the rainfall showers.
And my significant other, who cannot go more than a day without working, found the desk and workspaces to be more than adequate while still allowing him to feel like he was on vacation.
My only small complaint is that I would have preferred that the lavatory/ dressing areas would have been more enclosed. I prefer a bit more privacy.
The common areas, lobby, bars, restaurants; are just extremely well designed and executed. Nothing is left unconsidered. There are surprises and notable touches everywhere.
Service is exceptional. We were taken upstairs by Frank, who spent a considerable amount of time with us, explaining important insider knowledge of the hotel and Barcelona, providing some useful tourist cautions as well as some good recommendations for dining and shopping. He could not have been more positive, upbeat, welcoming or generous with his time although we were just two average travelers on holiday from the States.
The hotel is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the main part of the city, or an easy 15 bus trip(bus is frequent, cheap and easy as is the metro) and the Barceloneta(seashore village shops and dining)is a short beachside 10 minute walk. But you are not IN town if that concerns you. To be basically IN the water, you give up the closeness to town. It was no sacrifice for us.
The Eclipse nightclub at the top of the W did not live up to the hype as far as we were concerned. Maybe we are too old, maybe we have been in New York too long, but it was just an average club: 5 guys to every girl and very weak drinks. The bar scene in the lobby was far more interesting. Others may completely disagree.
We were there for 6 nights and the atmosphere during the week was much more low key than on the weekend when families with kids showed up, although it was never chaotic. We would not go during the high season though, I cannot imagine how wild it must be mid summer. Many others would find this Autumn time of year that we preferred far too tame for them, I would imagine.
During our stay, we were surprised to suddenly find ourselves in the elevator with an extremely famous rock legend who happened to be performing in Barcelona during the time we were there. It happened that our floor also housed a couple of the large suites, one of which he was staying in.
It was an unexpected and breathtaking highpoint to our trip that was pretty amazing already.
As one final example of the hospitality we enjoyed at the W, we have a small Whatever/Whenever experience to share. On our last day, I got the idea that we should ask if we could see one of the suites at the end of our floor. Maybe the one the famous rock star had stayed in if it wasn’t occupied?
So we called and asked if we could have a tour of one of the suites. The concierge said that she would check and call me back. It actually took about an hour and I did eventually ask a second time, but sure enough finally someone called us back. It turned out that the suites were nearly all occupied except… the very biggest and grandest Presidential Suite on another floor and would we like a tour? Well, yes we would!
Within a few minutes a very lovely and friendly hotel intern came to our door and took us up to a magnificent suite for a private tour. It was rather fabulous, completely fun and very generous of the W to accommodate our little whim.
We are diehard W fans, and also love the W little brother, Aloft, for business travel. We are just really impressed with the brand. They just seem to have the entire concept down with, not only great facilities, but also incredibly well selected and dedicated staff.
And, rock legends in the elevators are pretty cool too.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

The hotel was very nice. It can be seen from a distance and I was surprised by the cute beach we had access to. My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights and had a great time. The hotel rooms are quite spacious and our room had a beautiful view of the water and beach. I was not particularly keen on the open bathroom concept, but have found it in several W hotels. This was the only drawback I found for the room.
We dined at all the restaurants and had a wonderful meal at BRAVO, the Michelin star restaurant. The staff was exceptional and very attentive. Our breakfast at WAVE was made exceptional by the staff and in particular a young lady named Natasha (Nattie). She was friendly and was always smiling. She made we had everything we needed and was attentive to get fresh juice and coffee for us. Numerous patrons commented on how she was so delightful to see each morning.
The hotel is very lively and there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy Barcelona. Our trip was low key and we wanted to take in the tourist sites. The hotel is a bit more removed, but a quick 5 minute cab ride would take us to where we needed to be. We loved our stay and will come back to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
wbarcelonahotel, Director General at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2010

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your feedback with other travelers concerning your recent stay at W Barcelona in August. It is very important for us to know both the aspects in which we do well and the ones in which we need improvement and thus, keeping us on our way to excellence. Therefore, I am most grateful to you for letting us have your experiences.

We were delighted to see that everything was to your satisfaction during your stay, and that your overall impression of the hotel and talents was a good one. Please be assured that I have already forwarded to our Beverage & Food Manager the positive comments mentioned on your review concerning Natascha from WAVE Restaurant. It is always a great encouragement and motivation for our teams to hear about guest satisfaction which is our main concern.

Sir/ Madam, it has been our pleasure to serve you, and we look forward to welcoming you to W next time your travels bring you to Barcelona.

In the meantime, assuring you of my utmost care and attention at all times I remain,

Yours sincerely,

W Barcelona Management

Reviewed November 8, 2010

I've stayed at the W Hotel at Lexington Avenue, NYC. I must say that the experience at W Barcelona far exceeeded the one in NYC. First of all, the staff were very friendly and helpful, from the receptionist to the porter to the staff at the Whatever Whenever desk. They even invited us to the bar for complimentary drinks when they were checking whether our room was ready. Unlike other travellers, my porter explained the complicated switches to us (even though we still needed some time on our own to figure it out later).

The room has a great view overlooking the port and a cruise ship would arrive very now and then (unfortunately, the better view is the one facing the beach, not that we mind the port view). The Wonderful room is slightly bigger when compared to most European standard hotel rooms. The glass shower and toilet took a while of getting used to especially when you are not used to seeing someone's blurred shadow when he/she is seated on the toilet bowl). The bed is very comfy and the Bliss products are welcomed.

Like the other travellers, the Wifi service is not reliable. I ended up not logging on to the internet for the 4 days when I was there (I can't be bother to use the common area PCs). The Eclipse Bar fell below expectations. I expected something even better and hippier for a W hotel since it's positioned as a very stylish hotel. The view was average (there's really nothing to see when it's dark... mind you, it's just a beach view in the dark) and the whole ambience was lacking. I've seen greater bars in Asia that come with stunning day and night scenes.

The hotel staff didn't know the products well. We wanted to buy the decorative white gecko (which was for sale) in the bedroom. But none of the receptionists knew how to get a new piece for us! On the day that we were checking out, they called the house keeping and told us that the gecko would be delivered to our room but it never did. We gave up in the end.

The gym is reasonable. I would consider it to be one of the better ones in Barcelona. It's equipped with the standard weight lifting and cardio equipments. And there is enough. If I recall correctly, there are 6 to 8 treadmills in the gym ( a luxury if you ask me).

The food at the ground floor restaurant was mediocre. You can get better food outside the hotel. The pork which I've ordered was tough and my partner's fish was stale and rubbery (it was a pity considering they have access to the freshest fish in Barcelona). The waitress ended up offering us chocolates to help us, in her own words, "forget the bad experience". Go and try the Santa Caterina market in Barcelona’s trendy El Born neighbourhood. The restaurant at the corner of the market serves excellent food and it's really good value for money. But be prepared to wait if you go during the peak hours.

It was not that bad when we were at W Barcelona. They gave my partner a birthday cake and a bottle of sparkling wine. The cake was really good!

I don't know for sure whether I would stay at W Barcelona again especially when there are so many other nicer hotels in Barcelona. I might just give it another try if the rates are reasonable.

Btw, most taxi drivers do not know W Barcelona. They know the hotel as Hotel Vela (Hotel Sail) as the design of the hotel looks like a sail.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2010

The building itself is one of the landmarks of Barcelona and is visible and identifiable from most of the hills around Barcelona - as distinguishable as the Familia Sagrada - the most famous monument of Barcelona.

It has an all glass exterior in the shape of the El Burj in Dubai - is on the waterfront with the aircraft landing approach to the Barcelona airport right in front of the hotel. Half the rooms face the sea and the harbour while the rest face the city and the sea.

Each room is rather small - though modern and hi-tech with one glass wall. The rooms have the wash basins in the main room and a tiny WC and a small shower area separated from the main room by thin buffed glass partitions.

Service was not great at all with rather long queues for check in and virtually everything else. Staff artificially polite and curt - no personal vibes.

For a hotel that is so expensive everything is charged for including things one normally gets from housekeeping in most other hotels.

Great though is the Sky Lounge on the top floor (26th i think) with great views once again. The lobby is also spectacular with a glass roof that you cna see right to the top of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business