“Great modern hotel in a great city”
Review of W Barcelona

Ranked #112 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Great modern hotel in a great city”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed at the W for one night only whilst on business in Barcelona. Despite the hoards of screaming teenage girls outside (1 Direction were staying whilst I was there) I had a really great experience. The hotel is modern and funky, the staff were very helpful and polite and my room was amazing. It wasn't cheap - I think I paid €380 for the night - but I did get upgraded and it was a fantastic suite with a wonderful view of the sea. The bed was huge and very comfortable, the shower-cum-wetroom was spacious and clean and the AC, lighting and various gadgets all worked well. I ordered breakfast to my room which was very nice indeed, and I met some colleagues down in the restaurant for a coffee while they had their breakfasts which also looked very nice. The bar in the evening seemed vibrant without being overbearing and the pool bar was a good place for nightcap at the end of the night. What little I saw of Barcelona itself seemed a really attractive balance of old narrow streets and cool, modern areas with a distinct nod towards the arts with lots of sculpture dotted around. Great hotel, great city. Will definitely go back with my family.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mat-Ingram

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,200)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The hotel is excellent: the location, the service, the club Eclipse, the many restaurants, friendly staff, good atmosphere, the hotel beach, the room, the view!

Points of attention to the hotel are: breakfast is too expensive. It is cheaper (and sometimes better) to get a meal a la carte in one of the hotel restaurants on the beach. Great breakfast for half the price.
In addition, WIFI is a paid service in the W hotel...not really contemporary in this century. I guess that it is a small revenue point for the hotel but a big annoyance for guests.

However, I am proud to have stayed at this hotel and will return again!

Room Tip: I would choose the Wonderful room again. The Cozy ones are in low floors and the Wonderful ones are...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I are huge fans of W Hotels and stayed at the W Barcelona for 2 nights last week.

The hotel is next to the beach, a little bit too far to walk into the city but a taxi is around 7 Euros into town and around 30 Euros to the airport.

Check-in could be smoother. Long queues even though there are 4-5 desks with staff and a lot of suitcases piled up ready to be sent to rooms.

All staff that we met at the hotel were so friendly and helpful. I couldn't fault any of them!

Our room was on the 19th floor with a view of the sea. The rooms are beautiful with a good quality hair drier, Bliss toiletries, iron and a super comfy, huge bed.

The pool area is really cool with good music and tasty cocktails and food. The only problem is that the beds next to the pool are gone by 8am. The most annoying thing is that they are mostly filled with towels and books until about 11am. We had to go down to the pool at 730am to make sure we had a chair for the day. The number of chairs doesn't seem fit for a hotel of this size.

We had dinner one evening in the Salt restaurant which has a beautiful view of the sea. The food was delicious and the waiters were really friendly ad helpful.

My one improvement to the hotel would be that they should have more security. The entrance from the beach needs a key card to open the door but anyone can walk in once the door is open. No room cards are checked before going into the pool area either. We overheard people more than once during our stay bragging that they weren't staying at the hotel but still using the pool loungers reserved for guests and the pool.

Overall, we had a brilliant stay at the W Barcelona and we would definitely return to stay at the here again in the future.

Room Tip: Higher the room the better the view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly E
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed here for one night and wished I could have stayed longer. Not a perfect hotel by any means, but the W Barcelona is a meaningful part of the city and a hotel that simply feels lively and essential. I was upgraded as a Platinum guest to a suite, which was much appreciated, albeit one without much of a view. Room itself had the usual style-over-function foibles that come with most W properties, but the style was nicer than even the other W properties I've been to. Service was impeccable inside the hotel (checkin, bellhop, wherever/whenever, restaurants, etc) and awful outside of the hotel (in the hotel's private beach area, at the taxi line). Nature of the beast, I suppose. The Barceloneta neighborhood has plenty of dining options available, but it's a trek away from public transportation and not within walking distance of most of the city's destinations, so I wouldn't stay here as a base from which to explore the city. With that being said, if you do choose to do so, there are plenty of cabs available at all times of day and night and it's a 4-5 EUR trip into downtown.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I normally don't write reviews before staying in a hotel however W appear to be unable to allocate a room on time...

If you love waiting in a crowded bus station type of environment I strongly suggest booking the W Barcelona. Checked in at 2:20pm (early but aware that the room would not be available until 3pm). Horrific, disorganized check in. Suitcases everywhere, kids screaming etc. Not what you'd expect from a 5 star / approx EUR 400 per night hotel. As expected the room was not available; it's still not available at 4:20pm but this must be normal for W judging by the staff's shrug of the shoulders and the "we're busy but your room will probably be ready soon".

Went for lunch to Salt restaurant. Initially told we could not be seated as we didn't have a reservation. Staff however empathized with the situation re: the room and found us a good table. Food was very good and the service highly attentive and displayed a far more professional attitude versus those in the reception.

We have just stayed in the Alma hotel and would recommend this over W.

Stayed July 2014
7 Thank albiondxb
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for sharing with us and other travellers your recent experience at W Barcelona. I was shocked to read your comments and I sincerely regret that you did not have your room before the check-in time at 3:00 p.m. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences this might have caused you. Please allow me to follow up on this important issue. To do so, I would like to be in contact with you personally, so if you would be so kind to write an e-mail to my personal assistant elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com, it will be my pleasure to return your message with a personal email.

May I take this opportuntiy to assure you that our hotel always seeks to maintain the very highest standards of quality and service and it is my sincere hope that your recent experience will not deter you from visiting W when you are next in Barcelona. We look forward to welcoming you to W Barcelona and being of service to you on many occasions.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Fantastic hotel - highlight of our Barcelona trip! We couldn't wait to get back to our room everynight!
Location is a bit out of the way if being central is a priority.
Best breakfast in Europe, great service by staff and amazing trendy W design
Booked a standard room and given one with a beautiful view of the sea!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Fdollx,

Thank you for your 5/5 rating and for saying that you had the best breakfast in Europe in our hotel! We are very happy about that!

I look forward to welcoming you again to W Barcelona.
Best regards

Belgium
Reviewed July 24, 2014

As a travel agent, I made a reservation through a tour operator in November 2013, for an arrival August 2014, 2 Wow Rooms including breakfast. All confirmed and paid for more then 2 months ago and received the prepaid vouchers last week. Now contacted the hotel to ask for twin beds and all of a sudden reception tells me that they cannot find the reservation and that they never confirmed although rooms were booked out of touroperator allotment. So the actually have a contract with a tour operator who is allowed to sell rooms in allotment and still they now try to cancel this reservation 2 weeks before arrival, although reservation has been made more then 6 months ago. Very strange I find all this and I will do everything in my legal power as a travel agent to get this issue resolved.
But rest assured, I will never, ever, book a W hotel again.

Room Tip: Be careful when you book here, you are never sure that you have a confirmed reservation, although yo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rafael V
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Woeper,

I acknowledge your review posted on TripAdvisor website. I am aware of the situation, and as you know you have already been contacted by our Revenue Manager, Mr. Alex Urgell. We are working together with the Touroperator to find a solution as soon as possible.

Best regards,