“More than just views”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bangkok, Thailand
“More than just views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

This is a fantastic five-star property. Excellent service with a smile from all the staff who are always on the move (due to the constant influx of guests). The bar and pool areas are also very well spaced out, trendy and chic. Lie down at the sun deck and feel the comforting Barcelona sea breeze brush against your cheek. Great rooms with comfortable beds (you'd expect this considering you're staying at the W!). Wake up, draw your curtains and appreciate the tranquil panoramic views!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,163)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Mind blowing hotel with a great feel , pool area as good as it gets for any age , rooms modern great bars. Feel good place right on the beach with many restaurants underneath and plenty of action. Looking forward to coming back.

Room Tip: High floor with view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Guest from Sydney,

Thanks for staying with us this July. I am very happy to read that you had a nice stay at W Barcelona and please do not hesitate to contact us directly in case your travels bring you back to Barcelona from Australia. I will be more than happy to assist you with your reservation personally. I can be reached through the Executive Office email address at elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com

Best regards from Barcelona,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed there last week on business. Now let's get this out of the way first: I am a bit harsh with my rating here because at close to 400 Euros a night, I would hold them to FLAWLESS standards which unfortunately wasn't the case during my entire stay.

The hotel needs to do something about their check-in capabilities. For a place that size, they should be better prepared to welcome more than 4 guests at a time. I had to wait over 45 minutes to check-in. What added insult to injury is that when I asked one of their employees if I can store my luggage to come back later to check-in, I was strongly scolded "SIR, CAN'T YOU SEE I AM BUSY WITH ANOTHER CUSTOMER??" instead of a polite "one second sir". Again, we're talking 400 euro/night expectations here. Why on earth would I have to pay 10 euros for WIFI if my company brought in more than 200 employees for 4 nights. That is just outright unacceptable.

With that out of the way: the place is fabulous. The rooms have views to die for. Additionally, they're very trendy rooms. The interiors of the rooms (and hotel) are what you would expect from a W, trendy and chic. We had several meals there and the food is quite good. Breakfast was also quite decent.

Although I didn't get to try the pool and beach myself, I did walk by and have to say the ambiance is quite wicked. They have several bars and lounges that are equally attractive.

So overall, I would give the hotel another chance if I return to Barcelona, however I would then expect a PERFECT stay for my money. Maybe then I would revise my review.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank TheSherif
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Guest from Dubai,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel at the TripAdvisor website. It is regrettable to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about the check-in experience, my sincere apologies for the inconveniences this might have caused you. I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards.

With regards the Wifi connection, please be informed that Wifi is free of charge on the public areas, however, at the present time is not feasible to offer it for free on the bedrooms.

I was happy to see however that you found the place fabulous, you enjoyed the views, and you liked the rooms. Also, I am more than delighted to see that you would be happy to give us a second chance, and I would like to thank you. If this is the case, please feel free to contact me directly, as I will be more than satisfied to arrange personally the next reservation for you with us. I can be reached through the Executive Office email address at elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com

Looking forward to welcoming you again!!!
Yours sincerely,

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

What I like about this hotel (I stayed here several times) - location. Forget cars. Walk along picturesque Barcelonetta beaches, or run or take a bike. Or stroll to the Old town, Rambla. It's noisy in the public areas especially in the evenings, hotel is full of guests and outsiders but living floors are quiet, rooms are lovely, very fresh, well equipped and have a gorgeous view of the city and the sea. Make your choice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Albert T
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We arrived in W Barcelona at about 10 am. The lobby was fairly quiet and no queues to check-in. The check-in was smooth and friendly & the local W Insider came and introduced himself and we had a nice chat about the hotel and current events.
Unfortunately (but as expected) early check in was not possible as the suite would not be ready yet. The front desk agent promised to call as soon as our suite would be ready, so we headed off for a walk in the city. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk down the beach boulevard from Metro station Barceloneta & entry to El Born area.
About 1.30 pm the hotel calls and tells that all is set so we headed back to hotel. Our suite was ready but I had to call separately for both our luggage to be delivered to the room and the crib for our baby son. Not really an issue , but something I did not expect to have to do.
We stayed at a Studio Suite which is a very nice one-bedroom suite. To my best knowledge all these are on the floors 1-6 of the annex building so no super views available. However some funky mirror placement in the room and reflective walls of the Desigual HQ building opposite created a very interesting optical illusion and reflection of the beach extending into the room !

We had breakfast every day at the Wave restaurant. The buffet is fairly nice - not extensive but all the basics are there. Warm courses seemed to change somewhat every day so it did not get boring. Additional made-to order items are available. The service was outstanding: every morning we were very warmly welcomed and special attention was given to our 2.5 year old baby boy - they made special form cut pancakes for him and stopped to play with him every now and then if the restaurant was not too busy. He loved the breakfast moments!
The other breakfast option would have been at the more upscale Bravo restaurant, but we skipped that due to the kid probably not appreciating more high-brow dining.

The W lounge bar next to Wave was not such a good experience. The service was unbelievably slow, first time it took about 20 minutes to get drinks in an almost empty bar. Second time was even worse: we were heading out for the night and after 35 minutes when our driver arrived we still had not been able to even talk to a waiter! The worst part of this experience was that when I wanted to give feedback I was passed around until the 4th person I tried to talk to actually appeared interested. He promised to make sure that the situation would be righted, so I hope they are improving both the service at the lounge and customer feedback readiness.

The Wet Deck saved the game. It is a very nice place to hang out relaxing, especially the cabanas. Music was good and played at reasonable levels for the time of day - building a party mood while the day progresses. They have super friendly and good staff and a reasonable pool menu. My wife wanted to have something simple that she had eaten a couple years earlier in Madrid and our waitress managed to first help her to recall and describe what that had been and then get the restaurant to actually hit this off-menu item perfectly! Nice effort!

La Barceloneta beach starts literally at the W door. There is a smallish area with W lounge chairs and towel service + of course drinks and beach menu served by the Salt restaurant. Public beach & restaurants & activities extend north.

The hotel has a fairly popular nightclub on high floors. The club is smallish but has great views and reasonable DJs. Almost every night seems to have a theme so you might want to check before to match your tastes.

Random notes:
- Housekeeping seems a bit shoddy: my newspaper was delivered on 2 out of 5 days and I had to call to get refill of bathroom amenities
- surprisingly no music or changing W carpets in the elevators (I've stayed about 50 nights in various Ws this year so tend to notice details)
- No SPG Gold/Platinum desk assigned so checkout queue took 15 minutes.
- Whatever/Whenever service is very responsive and a call solved any issues we had in the room in no time.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I love W properties and was excited to check this one out. Everything about this hotel is awesome. When checking in we were upgraded to a Cool Corner Suite. The room was spacious, well laid out, and had beautiful views of the Mediterranean. The environment and nightlife was everything you'd expect from a W. Being able to see the sea from the Wet Deck is great, as the ocean floor is full of rocks. Yes the distance is a bit away from the center of the City, but cab rides are cheap, and this hotel is totally worth it. We ran into a power issue on the 2nd night, but the hotel management was very polite and professional and more than made up for the problem, and insured the rest of our stay was perfect!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank James_NY_NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Really disappointed with the "W" firstly nearly didn't get into the sky bar with flats on even though they were evening dress and watched some other people go in looking scruffy in trainers and sun hats. Then in the bar the Bar man was so rude to my friend for trying to order a drink at the bar after the waitress had told us we could and we'd just seen him serve another bunch of girls. We just walked out. Downstairs bar was much nicer and did enjoy a drink looking over the pool. I thought the decor wasn't anything special. Won't be ever going back. We stayed at Barcelo Raval and it was much nicer and prob more than half the price.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Livlovelilo
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write at TripAdvisor. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed regarding the service you received at the Eclipse night bar. You have my assurances that this has been discussed with the Eclipe Manager to prevent any reoccurrence in the future. With regards the dress code, indeed is cocktail attire and no sandals, sport shoes, shorts and sleevless Shirts are permitted.

I am happy to read however that you enjoyed having a drink downstairs overlooking the pool.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to explain and apologise. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again and we are confident that your next stay will be pleasurable in every respect.

Yours sincerely,