“Whimsy and trendy”
Review of W Barcelona

Ranked #118 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 20, 2014

great hotel ! what you would expect of a W hotel. i definitely would highly recommend this property. the views from the rooms are amazing! the hallways are nice cool red and dim, the club on the top floor is the place to be on weekends ! the entire experience was just great ! two thumbs up! would recommend this hotel for trendy, sexy , party like stay!

Room Tip: city and water view rooms give the best views of Barcelona beaches
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mo N
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Mobani,

Reviewed June 20, 2014

The best Room I ever stay in overlooking the sea.
The best services (restaurant, room services, Pool, bar, concierge,...)
The best reception (helpful, smiling and cooperative)

Location is a somehow far from down town but in a very nice location with beach access.
I do recommend the Hotel if you are looking for luxury holiday and a high end service level.

Room Tip: Any room in the tower building above the 10th floor will be perfect, although I stayed in the 6th fl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2014

A very disappointing stay throughout. Despite its ritzy décor and reputation for style, this hotel was let down badly by its staff. Staff throughout the hotel were disorganised, disinterested and not very knowledgeable about their product.
We arrived late and as soon as we walked in we were met by not one but two porters who offered to walk our luggage to the check in desk – about 20 metres from the door, we declined this but when it transpired that they needed a cash deposit we left our bags with them and were assured they would be stored safely until we came back. When we returned, our bags were still in the lobby but no sign of either of the porters. Alone, in the lobby of a hotel with over 450 bedrooms. Not good enough.
We decided to try and put this experience behind us and pay a visit to the cocktail bar on one of the top floors. Again, full of pretence with a ‘special’ lift. We walked in and again there were loads of staff around. It was very loud inside, with nightclub type lighting and music. We sat by the window with an amazing view over Barcelona and waited for our cocktails – the holiday starts now was the plan. Then we waited some more, and some more. Eventually I had to ask the girl who we had ordered from and she had forgotten to give our order to the bar. Almost half an hour after we ordered our cocktails arrived as well as a plate of fruit by way of apology. It wasn’t enough to rescue the situation – we left disappointed.
The main bar was no different, food and drink both consistently slow to arrive. There were 3 staff behind the bar and maybe 8-12 people in the bar but we still had to remind the barman that we had ordered food. When it came it was not of a standard you would expect in a 5 star hotel. As it was late there was only a reduced menu on but I would have made a better chicken wrap myself. It was dry and the wrap was stale around the edges. After all the previous issues, I did not have the fight left to send it back. The hotel had broken me.
The bedroom was lovely. Airy and spacious with a huge comfortable bed and a large window looking over the beach. The shower was beautiful, with a huge showerhead which really gave a nice experience. However, the exorbitant price of everything in the room took the sheen off. €4 for a small bottle of water (and you’re not recommended to drink the hotel tap water) and €20 for 24 hours of internet access is crazy when you consider the price you are already paying for staying here.
At one stage I lost my keycard and had to return to reception to get a new key. I understand why the receptionist called the room to confirm I was a resident, I work in hospitality as well. However his attitude towards me was terrible. I was an inconvenience to him. He looked at me condescendingly and said that I should always carry ID on my person and he had to check with the person in the room for security reasons. I pointed out that if he was concerned about guest security he should not have another persons invoice with full postal address and Starwood membership number facing me on the desk.
In terms of location the hotel is ok, a number of buses go from outside the hotel up to the city, it is about a 5 minute journey or about a 15 minute walk. It is right on the beach so if that’s what you are looking for it might be worth a stay but I would think that it is overhyped and most definitely overpriced for the service received. You would need more money than sense to stay here…a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest from Cork,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback concerning your stay at W Barcelona. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. I do apologise if our staff let you down on this occasion. Normally our service is exceptional and the different difficulties you experienced are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. I can be reached through the Executive Office email address ( elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com).

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stayed here approximately a year ago with. Good friend... This was one of the best hotel stays I have ever had... We caught an amazing deal online and went for a long weekend from London. The hotel sits right on the ocean and has amazing views. We had a few of the ocean as well as the bay and a helipad... I could have stayed in the room. An awesome bar on the top floor that looks straight out into the ocean. Quick taxi ride or walk to town... if Can't say enough about this hotel... Will definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Check out the pool for happy hr
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Souloaded

Dear Guest from Fort Lauderdale,

Thanks for staying at W Barcelona one year ago. And WOW, such an amazing review!

We are very happy to read that you had a nice long weekend from London, and do sincerely hope we will welcoming you for another one very soon!!

Best regards,

Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Probably the hotel with the best view at barceloneta.
Everything was great, really good restaurant and equipment in the room.
The hotel is located at the extreme south west of barceloneta. So we had prefer to call a taxi each time we leave from the hotel however the valet doesn't understand what is a minibus and always ask a family car which was every time to small and uncomfortable.
Even if I have explain that I want a minibus or 2 basic taxi.

The hotel staff are welcoming so I will definitely return there next time but we less people.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed June 17, 2014

W Hotels definitely target a young, tech-savvy, modern market. Even in the lobby as you check in there's electronic music in the background (and a 24-hour party vibe!). Rooms are very comfortable, with contemporary design and adapted to contemporary guests (iPod dock, plugs everywhere to charge multiple devices, automatic curtains, etc.). Pool area is nice and relaxing. Service is good, very young and energetic.

Biggest plus: the amazing view. If you look at W Hotel Barcelona from the outside, you can see it is completely covered by glass (it looks like a replica of the Burj Al Arab in Dubai). There are two sets of rooms, one overlooking the port and the other overlooking the beach / city. Both are great but the second is the best. Me and my husband didn't know and got the port-view. As much as we are interested in ports, ships and sailing, there's not much going on at night. View to the beach / city is just mesmerizing both at night and during the day. Be sure to ask for this one... we will next time, for sure!

Drawbacks: 1. Breakfast is not included in all rates and it is VERY expensive (around 32 Euros pp). 2. You have to pay for wireless internet in your room (16 euros per day), although wireless at the lobby is free. I guess their strategy is to offer attractive rates as a hook, and then charge you for essentials (like wifi and breakfast!) on the side.

In general, a very good and relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room with views to the beach / city, and make sure your rate includes breakfast!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was like a dream living on the edge of the sea. One of the best hotels in Europe, W Barcelona is one amazing place to stay with great food, excellent bar on the 26th floor and a great boulevard to go on a short walk or sit by the sun deck basking in sun after morning breakfast. Walk down the deck and you are on the beach.

Great place with close connection to the main attractions of the city either by a taxi or bus (public transport).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple