“3 days too short”
Review of W Barcelona

Ranked #124 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Staying at this amazing hotel for 3 days just wasn't long enough, having a platinum card member in my family meant that we stayed in the exclusive 'red corridor' which offers the most amazing views of the city. The bed was the most comfortable i've ever slept in, wet room, the bath was in the bedroom so you could watch the tv, sofas, it had everything. I have promised myself I'll go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mhairi13
Elisabeth38187497, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Mhairi13,

Thank you for choosing W for your recent trip to Barcelona. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay, and we are only looking forwrad to welcoming you back very soon again to our hotel.

Thanks for sharing your experience online!
Warmest regards,

W Barcelona

Write a ReviewReviews (6,600)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at this property 2 weeks ago with my wife on a 4 day weekend in Barcelona.

You can pretty much see the W hotel from almost anywhere in Barcelona as it is one of the tallest buildings in the city. It is shaped like a sail and looks very similar to the Burj-Al-Arab in Dubai. Views to the sea from the rooms are stunning and it did, once again, remind us of the Burj-Al-Arab. Apart from that, everything is pretty much what you would expect in a W hotel: stylish rooms & lobby, nice restaurants and a cool night club.

We have stayed many times at the W Times Square in New York in a suite, and staying in a "wonderful" room at the W Barcelona reminded us of how bad the bathrooms are conceived at many W properties. We just hate their semi-transparent dividing walls between the bathroom or toilets and the main room. It is at best inelegant and most definitely awkward as these glass dividing walls act a perfect resonance chamber. No more comment needed here.

We were contemplating staying at the W Bangkok in January but reading the reviews of this other W property made it a no-go for me for the same aforementioned reasons.

Other than that, we had fun at Eclipse (the 26th floor nightclub with ecstatic views to both the city and the sea). The bartenders there are the most energetic I have seen in my life. They seem to all get along and have fun while fixing perfect drinks. We have to mention Marco who was so nice to us and prepared a perfect watermelon Martini for my wife.

On the eve of our departure, we realized, as we were packing, that a plastic bag full of souvenirs had disappeared from our room. This is the first time ever that I had items disappear from a hotel room. I called front desk at midnight but there wasn't much they could do at the time.

I mentioned this again at check-out (as well as the fact there was at least a 100€ charge from Eclipse missing from our folio) but was told that management would get back to me, which they did rather quickly. The response I got was that, after conducting a full investigation and checking our door lock logs, they had come to the conclusion that nothing unusual had happened.

To me, having a bag disappear from a guest room sounds like something rather unusual so I let them know that this answer wasn't good enough for me. After multiple email exchanges, it seemed my voice was finally heard and believed. Although what disappeared was never recovered, I was credited with 7000 starpoints which, in my opinion, is adequate compensation.

So all in all, we had a pleasant stay although we hated the bathroom and encountered an incident that, in the end, was dealt with in a rather professional manner.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have stayed in the W twice and it is easily the best hotel in the city.
The rooms a very spacious, with the bed facing the floor to ceiling windows (and a sea view if you have requested one) with lots of seating and space to relax.
The rooms are a slightly unusual wetroom design with the sink in the main bedroom, but you get a great selection of Bliss toiletries.
The real selling point of the hotel is the location right on the beach, and also the great pool area, with double day beds, cabanas and in-pool sunloungers! The area does get quite busy, especially the beds immediately surrounding the pool, but the staff are always happy to find you somewhere to sit.

The only thing that lets the hotel down is the service. Drinks and food take an age to arrive, and there are never enough staff on reception, so checking in and out takes forever.
And the hotel seems to constantly host corporate conferences so the lobby tends to get very full of people all checking in or out at the same time.

Also, at check in, the staff give a heavy sell about the 'Eclipse' bar at the top of the hotel being one of the coolest and most exclusive bars in Barcelona. It really isn't. It is full of middle aged conference attendees awkwardly dancing while drinking €20 cocktails.
One the night we went, the woman by the lift kept us queuing for 10 minutes, then needed to check with a colleague as to whether my shoes were acceptable, before eventually letting us up. The bar was half empty, save for the conference attendees. We left immediately, only to see the same women presiding over a queue in reception. Clearly, they deliberately make people queue to make the bar look busy...

However, all in all, this hotel is great and will always be my automatic choice when in Barcelona for work or fun.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cat_Ar,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We are so glad that you enjoyed in general your stay at W Barcelona, however, we are very sorry to read that the service didn´t meet your expectations on certain levels. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Please rest assured that all the comments you have raised on your review have already been addressed to the Head of Departments and corrective actions will be taken immediately so other guests are not inconvenienced in the future.

Should your travels bring you back to Barcelona, we would be most happy to welcome you back. Please do let us know about your plans by writing at elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com and the Executive Office will be delighted to assist you.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just a warning for anybody planning to stay at the W Hotel - the views are lovely and the rooms are fine but the staff put me off of the hotel altogether!
Definitely request a high floor as we were on the 4th and being able to see the street below kind of ruined the sea views. We did ask to be moved but was told this was impossible and that every hotel room was taken which i find hard to believe as we didnt check in late or anything!?
Our room was set up everyday as though one person was staying in it - 1 towel 1 bath robe etc... Even after letting the hotel know there were two of us.
Worst of all we discovered by chance of checking our credit card bill online in barcelona that the hotel had put a charge of 900€ through on the day of check In. We were not told any charges were going to be put through at the time and when we questioned it the lady on reception told us she did tell us she would be charging 100 euros per night which she most definitely did not because im sure i would have questioned this! Plus we only stayed at the hotel for 3 nights to which the lady said she'd made a mistake and put the charge through 3 times. Nice of her to tell us at the time. The charges are refunded straight away but it still takes away credit for 3-5 days up until the refund is processed that we could have needed during our stay. Luckily we had enough cash. I wouldnt usually write a review on here but i was so appauled at the staffs lack of customer service they literally shrugged at us when we asked why 900€ had been taken off our card. They all generally act like you should be lucky to stay at the hotel and they dont have to really make any effort.
4 and a half stars apparently - ive never had to call reception/housekeeping as many times at any other hotel than i did at w!!
So when you're giving your credit card over to reception make sure they arent making the same mistakes.
Their motto is whatever whenever or something like that.... It was more like just whatever.

• Stayed: August 2013
Elisabeth38187497, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear StaceRy,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your feedback helps us to improve the service we deliver and therefore every single comment is worth a lot!

I was very sorry to note your comments regarding the level of service you received during your stay and I want to apologise that our staff let you down on this occasion. Whilst I can assure you that any neglect experienced in this instance would have been as a result of thoughtlessness rather than intent, please be assured, the issues raised have been addressed to the Director of Rooms and appropiate action taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future. I can assure you that our company has in place very strict procedures in order to avoid those type of situations, but due to a human mistake the charge was tripled. Please accept my profund apologies.

I hope this will go some way in restoring your confidence in our organisation and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again at W Barcelona. I would be delighte to meet you.

In the meantime, assuring you of my utmost care and attention at all times, I remain.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We are just back with my family from Barcelona, where we spent tow nights in this fantastic Hotel. We loved our room on the 14th floor with wonderful view. Very modern, stylish, amazing lighting, the most comfortable bed. We could leave there..:) Loved it! Check in took maybe 10 min - as its August and Hotel is full, but I could say anything bad - very friendly and professional stuff.
The pool area was also great - and stuff works really hard to please everybody. One thing they can't control is behaviour and attitude of some guests. I wish people were more respectful to each other - some of guests were leaving there personal things on sun beds, leaving the area for hours. Also we were not very happy to get our drinks in that area in very used plastic glasses plus they were not cheap.
Location is great if you are planning to spend the most time in the Hotel - otherwise - the only option to get to the City is by Taxi. We had not very nice experience one day - Taxi driver just cheated thinking we are not familiar with area and made huge round which finally double the cost. Next morning we went to the same place for 7 Eu. I think the Hotel stuff should control that, as Taxi is the best way to get to the city.
The restaurant Bravo with 1 Micheline star - was recommended by reception. First impression was nice and little deferent from my privies experience in that class restaurants - more funky trendy style, which these days is very popular. Service was - friendly but not high. People were seated very close to each other - I couldn't understand why - as there were more space. Food - was ok - but not excellent. and one very disappointing moment - there were a huge mosquito in my wine glass - staff took the glass away - but never offered another wine.. My husband had a grilled vegetables for his starter - which was served in front of him without any side plate - and he suppose to eat from this rousting stone dish. I would advise to think about detail more and quality of food was not as great as it could be.
Bar on the 26 floor - could be great place to spent the rest of night - fantastic view, great music.. but no service - we were waiting for 40 min all that time watching how one waiter enjoying herself dancing next to DJ..:) Another thing - they should do something with all the seating area - just not comfortable and we were feeling like we are in some train station - not very relaxing.
Spa - 100% - The stuff - was very friendly and professional. We enjoyed a lot in that area..
We are coming to barcelona a lot - and were staying in many fantastic Hotels - Majestic, Casa Fuster, Mandarine Oriental - W Barcelona now joins this list - our favourite places. we will definitely will come back - but in more quiet time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Elisabeth38187497, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Karolina m,

Thank you for choosing to stay at W during your recent visit to Barcelona and also for writing such an extensive review on TripAdvisor. What more can I say-I think you have more or less covered many areas of the hotel!

I am delighted to read that in general you enjoyed your stay with us, but it is also very good that you addressed the negative points, as this helps us in order to understand the needs of our guests and helps us to see where we failed! You have my assurances that the negative points have already been discussed with the Head of Departments and appropiate corrective actions have already been taken.

Thank you very much again for sharing your experience with us and if your plans bring you back to Barcelona, I would be very happy to welcome you once again!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great hotel! great vibe! amazing views! the mojitos they made were great, the best i ever had! look for augustine on the pool bar and ask him for a mojito! he was great!

the design of the hotel is good, and the room had an amazing couch right by the window where you can sit there all day and take in the views of the beach and the city.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank karim r
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed here for seven nights and had a wonderful experience from the moment we arrived. The staff could not have been friendlier, the rooms were chic and modern with usual W touches and gave a wonderful view of Barcelona and the coastline. The food was excellent with a good choice of restaurants and a fun beachbar!! Pool was constantly busy and did not get to spend much time by it as was working but would very happily go back just to chill.

Room Tip: Reach for the sky!! Much better view!! Although lifts can be busy between 8-9.00am