“A lovely stay in Barcelona”
Review of W Barcelona

W Barcelona
Ranked #95 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“A lovely stay in Barcelona”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The only reason I can't bring myself to give this hotel 5 stars is due to the service. The building itself has a huge wow factor. Architecually amazing and instantly recognisable from many different parts of the city. The location is amazing, right on the beach looking out over the Med in all directions. The Rambla and old town are both a 10 minute walk and Port Olimpic is a 10 minute stroll along the beach. The views are exceptional, especially from the bar on floor 26. I miss waking up in front of floor to ceiling glass windows overlooking the sea. The food in the various restaurants was great and the buffet breakfast was extensive. The pool area was gorgeous- all white and pristine with super views. The downside was the service- twice we ordered food and 40 minutes later discovered that our order had never been placed, once at the pool and once during breakfast at Wave. The waiter service, although friendly, appeared overwhelmed and in some cases, undertrained. We had a wonderful stay here and were wowed by the building, food and location but felt that the service was not up to scratch and didn't match the 5 star elements of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a high room (above floor 5 at least) and make sure you are overlooking the beach, not the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JandA28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,181)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Regular client at the W Paris Bar, I decided to test the Eclipse Bar on the 26th floor of the W Barcelona which I was told was great! The Paris team even took the time to inform them as I was going there to have cocktails to celebrate my best friend's birthday. Recognition was poor, staff is polite but not committed and could not care if you are number 1 , 2 or 3 guest.. you are just someone having a drink.. though he view is amazing, service was not there and the cocktails were nothing special! how difficult to make a good mojito in a bar like the W where you supposed to expect great cocktails with great bartenders! decor itself is nothing great... in the evening the spirit of the hotel comes out with great scenix lights... and that was a nice touch..overall a disappointing experience! will return to my Paris friends at the W!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Serendipidity,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Eclipse night bar with other travelers and visitants. I am terribly sorry to read that Eclipse was not to your liking or expectations and we have been very surprised as nowadays it is one of the most fashionable clubs in Barcelona, as per the general opinion of our guests.

Nevertheless, in case there is something we can do for you here at W Barcelona, please do not hesitate to contact our Executive Office directly.
Best regards from Barcelona.

Hotel Manager
new jersey
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

It's actually a lot like most other W hotels. Big on style small on service. I'm writing this while waiting for my bar check for 30 minutes after I waited 30 minutes to get a drink. If you like all the sizzle without the substance, this is the place for you. I'd just prefer elsewhere.

2 Thank prfdmd
Dear prfdmd,

We are sorry to read your disappointment with the service you have received in one of our bars, and I would like to apologise for that. You have my assurances that is certainly not reflective of our usual standards, and this has already been discussed with the Director of Outlets to prevent a similar reoccurence in the future.

In case you are still with us sir, and in case there is something we can do for you, please feel free to contact me directly through Whatever/ Whenever. Once again, our sincere apologies for the waiting time in one of our outlets.

Warmest regards,
Hotel Manager
W Barcelona
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just returned from a short break to Barcelona staying at the W Hotel. We had a really good deal with British Airways which included 3 nights B & B and flights. The W would probably not have been my first choice as we normally prefer hotels nearer to the sights and perhaps a bit more olden day glamour. However, the W does have the wow factor. It is positioned right on the beach and had the weather been warmer then it would have been a fantastic location, just a 10 minute beachside walk plus a 5 minute harbour view walk to an open top bus stop and another 5 minutes to Las Ramblas. Ideal for the type of weather we had - sunny and dry but just warm enough out of the wind to be very pleasant. Views from the hotel are second to none but unfortunately we had a room looking over the port entrance rather than over city but all rooms come with spectacular sea view.

The break was in celebration of my 70th birthday and on booking in we were told they would find us an extra special room. We had to wait a few minutes to check in and then were offered a free drink in the bar whilst our room was got ready. Reception staff very efficient and well trained. Howevever, when we were given our room I suspect it was exactly the same as the one we were originally going to be given. The room was large and because of floor to ceiling windows very light with modern furnishings. Unfortunately, there was a large stain on the beautiful window seat which was the entire width of the room, which was a real shame as it looked as if a child had perhaps had an "accident" on it! There was also, we discovered after we had been there a couple of days, a large mirror missing from the wall, we though it was odd to have a large blank piece of wood but thought it was part of the "look". I don't therefore think we were given any special treatment. We were satisfied anyway and couldn't fault the beautiful comfy bed, wet room etc. We had lovely towelling robes and slippers which added to our comfort too.

Breakfast was very good, first morning in "Tapas" restaurant and the rest in the Wave restaurant. Staff extremely friendly but some still being trained. We also had one evening dinner in the Wave which was exceptional, if a little pricey.

Would definitely stay here again if we could get a good deal but don't think I would want to pay 300 plus euros for one night without breakfast as is the cost on lots of sites. Shop around! Especially good if you come in summer and want to combine city sightseeing with sun and sand!

Must point out it does host a lot of conferences, so can be quite busy.

Room Tip: Ask for room on a high floor with a view over the sea/city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley M
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 days in march and I was pretty dissapointed. I had booked a suited but once checked realised that although I was spending 400 euros a night I was only on the 4th floor and had no view at all. I felt the room was a bit tacky in its decoration and the entire property was the same as well as looking a bit tired and worn. Ipod docking station in my room was broken and took 3 phone calls and wasnt fixed until the next day when i had made the 3rd call to complain. I discovered that if u want to use the spa/steam room facilities you actually have to pay another 20 euros per visit despite staying in the hotel and the TV had a very poor choice of English channels which I was told could be solved by purchasing a package on the tv of premium tv and movies... More money....Seriously why do you have to pay for things which should be included! The swimming pool was close and being cleaned but still u had to pay for the spa and steam room! i had booked this hotel as it was warming up and i was keen for a swim there was no notice that this entire area was closed despite booking directly with the hotel. I was tired from travelling for so long and was dissapointed there was nothing I could do there without paying extra. I had to get a cab to go anywhere except the beach which was a bit annoying and I got a facial which was 250 euros and pretty average. The suite was large which is really about the only positive I can say ... The service wasn't anything great. I really had the feeling that they just wanted to charge you for everything possible and you were really only there to line their pockets. I am a starwood member and have stayed at several of their properties ... this was probably the worst but has turned me off staying anywhere with them again.
Lastly on checkout i was presented with a bill which had overcharged me for several things.... nice way to end it. Plenty of better places to choose from in Barcelona!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Sydney5star
Keerbergen, Belgium
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

My favourite hotel to stay when I come to Barcelona to watch Barca play. The hotel hosts the Barca players before the game when they play at home so always Barca ambience :)
The design of the hotel itself is worth a visit as well as the views. Rooms are great as well as the restaurant, bar and pool area.
The service though needs upgrading cause its not at W 5 star level. No personal touch at all, not even when booking as a repeat guest with starpoints!! This has been a problem for a long time unfortunately.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the W Barcelona Wonderful room for three nights and had a great experience. I had read some of the negative reviews before so I was prepared for some 'issues'. None at all! The hotel is exactly what says in the website. Super modern, the view from our room could not be more beautiful, NOT noisy at all, even on higher floors near the Club as I had read, staff always very nice and helpful. Another surprise: breakfast was the best I have ever had! Maybe we were just lucky by going in the middle of a week and in the low season, so it was not so crowded (probably 60% occupancy, we were told). But even with much effort I cannot think of any negative point, and just cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple