W Barcelona
$128
$167
$154
  • Restaurant
Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya(Barcelona)
$139
Barcelo Raval(Barcelona)
$293
Elvoline
6,671 results
All reviewseclipse barbliss spabravo restaurantwet deckfabulous roomcool corner suitebliss productsfloor to ceiling windowsfrosted glasstop floorsea viewmediterranean seamood lightingpool area isamazing hotelbarceloneta beachhotel guests
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the W Hotel for 2 nights in Barcelona during our last leg in Spain.

The hotel is huge and is located by the beach on the edge of an embankment. Location wise, it is not situated in the best place if you are a tourist as it takes 30 minutes to walk into the old town. We ended up taking taxies back and forth, which cost about EUR 8-10 depending on where you are going.

First impression of the hotel was unfortunately not good. When getting out of the taxi, no bell boys were available and we had to carry our 5 suitcases in ourselves. Once inside, there were 4 guys ready to take over. It would have been great if they would have gone outside to assist, however it was windy outside…

The check in process was a catastrophe. The receptionist could not find our booking in their system, but he could see we had a written confirmation from the hotel. After about 15 minutes of waiting he asked us to go to the bar to wait and we were given a voucher for 2 free drinks. After sitting in the bar for 45 minutes and not being approached by the check in staff, we went back to the reception to follow up. However in the meantime there had been a shift change, and the guy had apparently not handed over the issue to his colleague, so we had to re-explain the whole situation to another person.

The mantra of the hotel is “Whatever” you want, “Whenever” you want it and they highlight this everywhere. Well, we would like to have our room and preferably 1 hour ago. While it was a nice gesture to give us a free drink, what we really wanted was our room. Surely they could have given us a room straight away while they sort out their system.

Anyways, the hotel itself is nice although a bit too cool for school. While this may appeal to some, I personally do not need loud music in the lobby or hallways. I know this is the brand of W, but I much prefer the way that Le Meridien does it: Modern, artsy and classy.

The room was very nice and had a great view of the beach. The bed was fantastic, with a nice duvet and fluffy pillows. There is a day bed along the window where you can sit and enjoy the fantastic view. The décor is very modern, with funky lights and a Bose iPod docking station which was a nice touch. My main problem with the room was that there was no separate bathroom. Instead the sink area was basically in the bedroom, and there were glass partitions into the shower and toilet. The rain shower was really good however and the amenities nice. Although the first night not all amenities had been provided by housekeeping and there was only 1 robe.

The room also comes with the usual 5 star amenities such as safe, mini bar, iron, hairdryer etc. But would it be too much to ask for a coffee/tea maker in the room?

Our room came with free breakfast and it was an average buffet. The spread was not fantastic but there is enough to choose from. You are also allowed to order 1 (and only 1) hot dish from the waiter, and they were just ok. I know Spain is struggling during these tough times, but restricting the number of food orders to your guests is not in line with the W brand as a luxury boutique hotel. Not really that “Wow” is it now?

The hotel is extremely busy especially in the evenings when people flock to the bar on top. We went to have a drink and the view was nice and there was a DJ playing there. The music gets very loud late at night and we could even hear the bass thumping in our room which was 3 floors down.

When you book a room at a W Hotel you have certain expectations and you also pay accordingly, however unfortunately these were not met. Living in Dubai, we are used to a high standard which this hotel did not live up to. While the hotel and the rooms were nice, I do not think I will be coming back to stay. There are much better (and cheaper) options available in Barcelona and I think this hotel is relying too much on the coolness factor of the W brand.

Room Tip: If the hotel has your reservation in their system, try to get a room high up.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank KennyBen
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is my first review on TA and this was my first experience staying at a W property after many friends and relatives recommended. Was very impressed to say the least. Although just a 2 night visit, this hotel benefits from a fantastic location with incredible views of the sea and coast line. I stayed on the 10th floor which was plenty high enough for the bueno vista!
Cocktail ingredients in the room was a nice touch (obviously at a cost) and the room layout was great with everything directed towards the floor to ceiling window and a good size also for cat swinging.
The staff really make this place special - they are all young and trendy with various stories of their backgrounds from around the world. In a single day I met staff from 7 different nationalities, all very friendly and extremely helpful. Food was superb and cocktails in the Eclipse bar were second to none. Speak to Carlos at Eclipse who is their resident award winning cocktail barman!
Highly recommend - will not disappoint.

Room Tip: High floor better for the view, beach facing probably best.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've been to W Bcn on december and it was just perfect: "Whatever Whenever", it's really what do you feel in that hotel. the service is perfect, the view amazing and the room is spacious and very comfortable. Eclipse Bar is the place to be in Barcelona. We didn't had the chance to access to the pool because it wasn't the good season but we'll do it again. We really enjoyed this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I've been to Barcelona a few times and have always dreamed about staying at the W. The location at the end of the beach is perfect, and the rooms all have fantastic views of this beautiful city.

We were in Spain for a wedding and decided to spend one night in Barcelona - lucky I was able to find a good deal for the W online, which was matched by the hotel itself through the SPG Price Guarantee service (definitely worth doing this and booking directly through Starwood - you'll also be able to collect SPG points).

Check-in was fast and friendly (thanks to our check-in assistant Junior) and we were provided with a room on the 14th floor with sea-views. The room itself was incredibly modern, with a sleek design and beautiful large windows. The bed was extremely comfortable and the toiletries were of a high quality.

We were able to utilise the gym facility which was very well appointed and spacious, and also had an early evening cocktail at the top-floor bar.

The next day we decided to have breakfast at the hotel. As per the usual Starwood experience, there was a plentiful selection to choose from, including fresh juices, meats, cheeses, pastries, eggs, etc. Staff were attentive and friendly at all times.

There's a great vibe at the W and it really does feel like a fun, glam place to stay. I absolutely love Barcelona and would have no hesitation in choosing this hotel again in the future - it would be fantastic to return in summer to make use of the outdoor pool and associated facilities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Slug00,

Thank you very much for your nice review. It is very nice to see that you spent a great stay with us although it was only for one night. I am sure Junior will be very happy when will read your review!

We do hope to welcoming you very soon again to W Barcelona, the Wet Deck facilities and beach facilities are already open!
Best regards,
Hotel Manager
W Barcelona

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The W Barcelona was one of the few hotels that I can say was close to the quality of a Four Seasons. We are are big FS fans, but were not disappointed by the W. The room was clean and spacious with the most amazing panoramic view of the Med. Food and drink throughout the hotel was excellent, from the quesadillas and sangria poolside to the snacks and absinthe drinks at the club at the top of the hotel. The staff was very accommodating to my wife's gluten allergy. My only critique is that the hotel is close to the beach but a long walk from Las Ramblas and the train station. Still, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room-magnificent!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple