“One of my favourite hotels in a beautiful city”
Review of W Barcelona

W Barcelona
Ranked #110 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“One of my favourite hotels in a beautiful city”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Second time staying here and love the stunning building right on top of the beach. Had a really nice room and could wake up to a view of the sea.

I don't think I would stay anywhere else in this city.

A couple of things I would like are. I don't like all the lights that flash and flicker all night after putting lights off. Also could do with better air conditioning and would like an accessible room with bath tub. Everything expensive in hotel but plenty of other options within easy walking distance.

Very nice hotel over all.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,200)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

From the moment we check into the W we were treated like royalty. Any request we made were responded within minutes and with a smile. The W exceded our expectations and is the only place to stay while in Barcelona.I would like to personally thank Caetana for making our stay at the W exceptional.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Extremely cool couples hotel. My wife & I spent 5 nights during summer - August 2012.

The location has pros and cons. Beautiful setting, nearly private beach, however its about a 10 min cab ride to the middle of the city. This didnt bother us as we spent a lot of time lounging at the hotel enjoying the facilities and beach and took 1 cab a day to go out to eat/shop/sightsee. I think if you are planning a full itinerary of sightseeing the location might be awkward, but if you want to have a relaxing time with your partner then its just fine.

We stayed in a Wonderful room high up with a great view of the city/beach. The rooms are great, spacious with lots of nice touches. The lounger next to the window was really great, the shower was amazing and I reallz liked all the Bliss products. The best part was the bed. It was the most luxurious king size bed Ive ever slept on.

My favourite part of the hotel was the pool bar. It was great to spend days and sunsets lying by the pool, sipping sangria, listening to the DJs dropping beats. Very hedonistic experience. The only thing that irked me was that you cannot book the pool beds, its first come, first served, and many hotel residents will come at 8am, drop off their towels to mark their bed, go back to the hotel and only emerge at lunch time to claim their spots. If you want to enjoy lounging on one of the pool beds you need to do the same.

The roof bar Eclipse was pretty cool, not an out and out club, but a good place to have a few drinks.

The service for the entire stay was exceptional. It was our wedding anniversary and the manager comped us with a bottle of complimentary cava when we arrived at our room. We didnt eat breakfast at the hotel (prices seemed quite high) but we did do room service a bit, which was always excellent.

Definately not a cheap hotel, everything is expensive, but the overall experience is definately worth it. Great hotel for young couples.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high as possible with city & beach views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RiaanS
Surrey
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here for a wonderful 3 night anniversary break. The hotel is very modern and lively, and was almost like being in a magazine shoot. The location for us was fabulous, so scenic right on the beach and no road noise etc. It was about a 20 min walk from the hotel to the bottom of La Ramblas, and there was a good choice of bars and restaurants nearer to the hotel too. We ate in both the hotel restaurants and were pleasantly surprised by the food, its not cheap but it was worth what we paid. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and the eggs and bacon were perfect. Stunning sea view from the room and great big wetroom, although as others have said we were not big fans of the glass door on the loo! To be really picky, the only negatives for us were the hairdryer which only blew cold air and that, after requesting express checkout, having to check out normally as the express never arrived. Having said that we would stay there again as the staff were very friendly and room service was very prompt.

Room Tip: Because of the location, I would imagine all the views are great. We were on the 11th floor with a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank twokidsandwrinkles
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I love this hotel! Good service from everyone and excellent rooms! Nice and clean. The food was nice. Best hotell I have ever stayed at! I did not get to try the spa unfortunately. It was a little bit further away from the shopping street that I thought. But thats ok, not expencive to take a taxi and it doesn't hurt to walk:)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ac567
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Every time we stay in Barcelona, we stay at the W. And I have to say that it gets better every time. Admittedly, the hotel is not centrally located. But it is still a nice walk to anywhere in the city. And I would take this hotel's Mediterranean coast location, over one of the hotels closer in the heart of Barcelona. We always use this hotel as our pre- or post-cruise hotel and always look forward to returning. Located right on the beach, the long promenade running near the hotel is a great place for a run, swim and to grab something to eat.

The most recent time we stayed here, we were once again welcomed back by the hospitable front office staff. Our 9am arrival meant there were no rooms ready, but the helpful (and extremely attractive!) bell staff, tagged our luggage and stored it until our room was ready. The front desk staff took our phone number and called us as soon as the room was clean. Our bags were miraculously already in the room! They were nice enough to upgrade us to a Corner Room this time, which was constructed with wall-to-wall windows and amazing views of the ocean (especially amazing when we got a big lightening storm and got to gaze at it from our bed).

The staff couldn't be friendlier - and this has been apparent during each of our stays. The hotel continues to be immaculate from top to bottom, and the pool area and restaurants are all lovely. The layout is easy to navigate and the lobby with the views of the pool and ocean is wonderful. This time (unlike our previous stays) we ordered room service, instead of using the hotel's dining venues. Delivery was fast, efficient and the food was great. This is one of those rare chain hotels that manages to feel like home for us.....especially unusual considering this is a W, which are typically too modernistic to feel cozy.

I can't recommend this hotel enough. We will always look to the W when travel takes us to Barcelona. This is the hotel you can count on to really take care of all your needs. We're already missing this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael_SD
Calgary
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We spent 4 nights here Oct 28-Nov 1 2012. I’m a big fan of the W brand and having stayed previously at the ones in Ft. Lauderdale, NYC, Seattle, was both pleased and disappointed by the W Barcelona.

What I liked: As with every W I’ve stayed at the rooms were clean and well appointed. Any time I had occasion to speak with any of the staff they genuinely tried to help and were always pleasant and courteous. The location was great for beach walks and there was always a line of taxis right at the hotel so you never had to wait for one.

The “living room” concept of W is great and the free wifi made this a hub of activity as it is in all W’s.

The mini/snack bar is well stocked and while pricey, has all the goodies you could ask for.

What I found lacking:
The reason I stay at W is for service. I, like many people are willing to pay top dollar if I am just taken care of properly. As I said above, any time I had occasion to interact with staff, the experience was pleasant, however getting them to interact is often an adventure in futility. Case in point, … In the “living room” area next to the W bar I sat with my empty drink glass for 15 minutes while FIVE waiters stood about 15 feet away talking to each other oblivious that I was ready either to order another drink or pay my bill. In my opinion this is below the level of service I expect from W. When my glass is empty, someone should ask if I want another and while I don’t mind waiting a few minutes if it’s busy, I should never have to watch five waiters totally ignore me while they gossip just steps away from me.

Another oddity, worth mentioning is that in the living-room bar I can order either of my favorites; Corona beer (interestingly called a “Coronita” in Spain) or a White Russian cocktail. However, in their 26th floor bar, neither drink was available, this just doesn’t make sense to me. A hotel that SHOULD pride themselves on service would have sent someone downstairs to get a few bottles instead of telling me “no”.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gospelle
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear gospelle,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback! Your comments help us to improve the service we deliver and therefore every single comment is worth a lot!

It is good that you have addressed us some negative points concerning the service at the W Bar and the Eclipse and I do apologise if our staff there let you down on this occasion. Normally our service is exceptional and the difficulties you experienced are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care. Please be assured the issues you have raised have been addressed to the Director of Outlets so appropiate corrective action can be taken.

Looking forward to welcome you again to W Barcelona.
Yours sincerely,