“An amazing 5 star experience” 5 of 5 stars

W Barcelona
Ranked #78 of 523 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“An amazing 5 star experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel a whole ago, but for me, it was one of the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in and hotel was beautiful inside and out. I felt like I was at a hotel I shouldn't be with the price I paid.
The pool was great, and it oversaw the beach. The bed was amazing and we could see into a beautiful view of the sea. I feel like this was the utmost in luxury - I would happily go there again. The only downside it's a bit out of the way, but you can walk into Las Ramblas in about 20 mins, eating on the way in the many restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,085)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Who‘d have thought that the letter W would represent quality, value for money, exceptional personnel in presentation and delivery of service, first class hospitality, VIP treatment, spacious modern living, eclectic night life, contemporary music, innovative art and design… (I could go on but I think I’ve painted a good picture so far).

Not. Me.

I never heard of ‘W’ until August 2011. I popped to Barcelona for my summer vacation and on exploring my surroundings wondered what on earth that building was in the distance. Embraced by the most wonderful restaurants offering the best in local cuisine, I learnt quickly it was a hotel. Worth a look at least.

As soon as I was in the lobby I knew it was most probably out of my league (at 450e per night) so I enjoyed a walk around and planted the idea firmly in my ‘if I ever win the lottery’ bank.

Until April 2012 when I started exploring summer holiday destinations again.

I found the W on lastminute.com at an affordable price if I compromised slightly on duration. It had to be done. For the experience at least. Barcelona was already a hot spot in terms of what it offered a holiday maker – a perfect mixture incorporating city life, shopping, culture, history, night life and… beach!

And so it was. 5 nights at the end of May, booked. Expectations firmly set. Not to pre-judge but I knew having ‘popped in’ previously that we were going to experience something P.R.E.T.T.Y special.

On check-in I chat casually about my reason for visiting the city. I write reviews and articles about the best of the best and I already love Barcelona! That was my instant ticket to an upgrade. Twice.

There’s the ‘Marvellous’ room I booked, there was the ‘Wonderful’ room I bypassed and then there was the ‘Fabulous’ room I was given access to. ‘W’ is also for ‘wow’.

I enter and the views of the beach and esplanade are stunning. The room is indeed ‘fabulous’. The bed and sofas are furnished with throws and cushions, there’s an iPod dock and flat screen TV, cordless telephone, under bed mood lighting, ‘snack box’ containing chocolates, pretzels, nuts, spirits, beer, wine and champagne, the in-house spa toiletries add a little something else and finally there was a ‘W’ brand merchandise shop. Yes, in the room. Selling ‘W’ music on CD - featured throughout the hotel (and it’s contemporary remember, not like ‘lift/elevator’ music), flip flops, baseball cap, signature ‘Eclipse’ chocolate and probably one or two other items that sadly I can’t recall now.

There was complimentary champagne, luggage tags and signature chocolate (delivered to the room within hours of our arrival) and on another occasion I also enjoyed a bottle of complimentary red wine – delivered to the room when I was out exploring one day. Nice surprise. Whilst these things are of course lovely (hic) – what mattered most to me is that I felt looked after. Customer service is important to me so what I found loveliest were the personalised cards (printed and hand written by staff), welcoming me to the city and reinforcing their desire to meet my every need, making the holiday the most enjoyable yet.

You could say that my experience was enhanced by the fact I write critiques but trust me, I observed plenty and am 100% confident that had we been ‘normal’ guests, the experience would have been the same. It was the attention, the smiles, the ‘good-mornings’ and ‘evenings’ staff who couldn’t do enough for you, 24/7 access to whomever ‘Whatever and Whenever’ (their trademark). Here’s an example.

Relaxing poolside on ‘wet deck’ after a late breakfast, I spot a member of the hotel staff to the left of us greeting some guests with one of those handshakes… you know the ‘I belong to the gang’ sort? Said member of staff and guests exchange some words and I voice out loud “I wonder what he does, he seems to know that group of people really well, looks like he’s checking whether they need anything or not.” My accompanying breakfast guest responds “They probably accommodate one of the penthouse suites on the top floor and he is their personal butler”. Me – “Hmmm, that’d be nice hey?!”

We return to our coffee and iced tea. A minute or two passes and the same gentleman walks in our direction.

“Hi. How is everything for you, are you getting around ok and are you enjoying the hotel facilities?” Shut. Up. (Not said out loud).

He asked us. He really did ask us just now.

“My name is Jeremy, I’m a ‘W Insider’ and if there is anything at all you need. I’m here for you.”

Que response…

“Well…”

I talk leisurely about my incredible experience so far (this was day 2), tell him how wonderful everything has been focusing heavily on the level of service more than anything else and he reiterates that I should call him (at which point he gives us his business card) if I need anything at all 24/7.

I rest my case. This place is awesome and they’ve already achieved they’re objective as far as I’m concerned – it’s the best holiday experience… yet!

The conversation draws to a close and with bigger smiles than when I first entered into dialogue. Within moments I’m served a chilled glass of pink cava and a very decadent fruit platter.

I’ve paid to be at the W in Barcelona but I feel indebted to the personnel for making everything so ‘W’onderful.

I could give you another 100 reasons why you should make ‘W’ Barcelona your next stop but I can’t.

You just need to experience it for yourself. So go.

Just. Go.

Dear W Personnel,

If you’re reading this. Thank you. From my heart. You Wow! And you Wow very well.

Room Tip: Become part of the 'W' family so they can provide you with preferential treatment on every v...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lippy_32
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Lobby, etc. is pretty nice as you would expect it in such a category, but the real cool part is the sea-view: Waking up with a red sky, landing planes, arriving ships is just unbelievable...

Not cheap, but definitely worth it's price!

Only disappointment was the bar on top which is decorated pretty cheap - but still has a good view!

Fantastic breakfast!

Room Tip: Choose a sea-view room on floor 15+!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
paris

Wow in every way.
This hotel is stunning, luxurious and modern. We had two suites with beautiful views of the ocean. The location is excellent.
Staff members were really efficient, we felt relaxed and comfortable throughout our stay.
The atmosphere is also what makes this hotel extra special; it is exciting both day and night
Overall, this is a really cool place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

As a new hotel in Barcelona, the W offers both incredible views and experiences. The pool deck is great for lounging but the beach is even better and private, located just steps away from the building. The room itself is modern, with a great shower/vanity area and extremely comfortable beds- dare I say the most comfortable I have ever experienced while traveling.

While visiting we were able to dine in one onsite restaurant, which was very good. We appreciated the flavored water found in the lobby although we unfortunately seemed to always catch it when it ran out. The restaurants below the W are amazing, do not miss out on eating here for lunch and dinner, I would suggest trying each one of them if you can. Excellent location for beach eating, it really enhances the area around the W. Make reservations.

Despite being slightly removed from the other main attractions in Barcelona, I would most definitely stay here again, as many other reviews suggest, this is an incredible hotel and has some unique features especially for the area. It is a little on the expensive side, but I feel you get more for your money here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
WBarcelona, Hotel Manager at W Barcelona, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Stella CO,

We are happy to read that you have been able to enjoy your stay with us and have been able to discover well the hotel surroundings. Thank you very much for your positive feedback! Should you have any further comments on your visit, please do not hesitate to contact me calling at +34 93 2952800; if you prefer to send us an e-mail, please write to our Executive Office elisabeth.vilardell@whotels.com. It will be our pleasure to be in contact with you.

Should you come back to Barcelona in the future, it would also be my pleasure to personally take care of your next reservation and I invite you to contact me personally in order to plan your stay.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.
Yours sincerley,
Hotel Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The greatest take away from this hotel is the view. I was dumb struck when I walked into the room. I thought a fourth floor room wasn't going to be very good, but in contrast I was astounded at the view.

As you would expect from a hotel of this standard, the service is polished and efficient. The drinks at the bar are pricey, but very pleasant. Breakfast in the morning was also good.

From a personal perspective, there wasn't enough "texture" for my liking, but if you like hotels with clean lines, and made from glass and steel then you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Rayleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed for my partners 40th Birthday and were so glad we did.
Our suite was gorgeous - especially enjoyed laying in the bath looking out over the port!
We were delivered two free bottles of Cava to celebrate plus vouchers for drinks in the nightclub and VIP passes in case there was a queue to get in (there was!).
We ate in the fabulous Bravo 24 - which we found very relaxed despite its Michelin rating. The food was beautiful - wonderful flavours and gorgeous surroundings. They also gave us a little birthday cake which was a lovely suprise.
From the time we arrived until we left, all staff members were friendly and had a sense of humour.
Right on the beach and near some lovely neighbourhood tapas bars for lunch too.
We'll be back in the summer - no doubt!
This was not a cheap trip but we felt we really had value for money. Good stuff!

Room Tip: Any room is good for the views. The studio suite was good value for money.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple