“Great hotel great views but far from the center”
Review of W Barcelona

W Barcelona
Ranked #121 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Great views from the room, great gym open 24 hours, service really nice, great disco very lively on the top floor. Nice place for been with your loved one.

• Stayed: February 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (6,498)

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Have just returned from a 2 night stay (booked the Fabulous room). On arrival we had an extremely prompt check in (by the very helpful Jacopo) and although we were 3 hours ahead of our actual check-in time, we were very kindly allowed to go straight to our room.

The room itself lived up to its 'Fabulous' name tag, with stunning views of the beach, city and sea. The chaise lounge style seating area under the window was a great touch, along with the electric curtains (nice if you don’t want to leave your bed), mood lighting, work station, and cocktail making kit. The wet room was great, very spacious with a rain style shower head, 2 dressing gowns, slippers and plenty of fresh, fluffy towels.

All the toiletries are courtesy of the Bliss range (Bliss Spa downstairs) and restocked on a daily basis.

We had breakfast in the Wave restaurant which had a good variety of continental style breakfast (fresh croissants, cheeses, hams, jams, fruit etc) and also well presented traditional, Spanish style omlettes with fresh coffee, tea, smoothies and juice - needless to say we didn’t go hungry.

We loved the hotel so much that we were reluctant to go out on the first evening so we booked (by recommendation) to eat at the hotel restaurant, Bravo. The decor was beautiful and we had a table overlooking the terrace and sea. The food and service was amazing along and we were spoilt for choice with an extensive wine and champagne list. I would definitely recommend eating here.

After that we decided it would be rude not to hang out in the lounge (opposite the wave restaurant), to have a few cocktails. We picked a comfy sofa right next to the rather funky looking fireplace. The DJ was playing chilled house music (if you like that sort of thing) and we had an attentive waiter who kept us topped up with many Polish Madame’s (a highly recommended cocktail!)

After this we took the dedicated lift up to the Eclipse Bar on the 26 floor and again we were not disappointed! The view over the beach, city and sea is amazing, music was great and we even got a seat in the VIP area!

I don't have a bad word to say about this hotel, I actually quite liked the fact that we were not right in the middle of La Rambla (which was only a short €5/6 cab ride away). Those with good legs could probably walk there in about 20/25 mins which on a good day isn’t that bad at all!

I am looking to come back here for my Birthday and if you are looking at this hotel I would definitely recommend coming here.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: I recommend the Fabulous room for excellent views of the city, sea and beach!
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I booked this hotel with lastminute.com - it was one of their mystery hotels so I didnt know what I was getting but I knew i was paying the top end for a 5 star hotel as I live in the Middle East and like to have comfort for my first few days on holiday, knowing that everything is going to be easy and taken care of - .I paid £500 for 4 nights; the going rate was £300 per night - I am glad I didnt pay the full price!

First of all we have to take into account that it was February and an unusually cold February at that, so venturing out of the hotel consisted of wooly scarfs, gloves and hat....hence this made it a little more difficult as we couldnt use the beach etc.

Good points

Lovely room overlooking the sea
Helpful staff
Clean
Free WIFI in comfortable lobby/bar callled the 'Living Room'.
TV in room
Full room service ordered and delivered quickly and presented well at 03.30am.
Good food in 'Wave' cafe - average 5* prices for Spain
Good food in 'Bravo' restaurant but v. expensive - try the 'piglet' absoutely gorgeous...but go easy on the starter!!!!
Valet Parking...at a cost of 22Euros per day...which we didnt know about until we checked out!

Bad Points

No bath - apparently the more expensive rooms had baths!
No WIFI in room
Glass doors to toilet and shower room - little privacy
A short walk to the local restaurants which werent really open in the day time therefore the hotel had the monopoly on dining...esp as we didnt want to travel far in the cold just to eat.
Bravo restaurant when entering the restaurant the receptonist asked if we had looked at the menu downstairs....not sure why but got the feeling that we werent very welcome, and that the staff felt that we werent good enough to be there....we waited a very long time for our food order to be taken and the service was quite robotic, not at all friendly.
Valet parking was an extra 22 Euro's per day.
Glad that we werent paying the full price as the bill at the end of our stay was over double what we had paid for the rooms - for those prices I would expect courtesy parking and a bath I'm afraid!

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view if you are staying a few days...its a bit more interesting than looking at just...
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the W Barcelona for 2 nights during our vacation in Europe on September 2011. We stayed at three different hotels in Barcelona (all great) but this was definitely the best. We booked a wonderful room and during check in we got upgraded to a fabulous room. The guy at the front desk (I'm sorry I forgot his name) was very nice and once he noticed we were Gold members he gave us the best room available at a top floor! The views are amazing...breathtaking. The room was spacious, very modern, clean and who doesn't love the W bed?? The staff was very attentive at all times. We didn't try the sky bar but it looked like a fun place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Visited Feb 17 2012 for a long weekend.

I am giving this 4 stars but what a wasted opportunity - let me explain.

This hotel is stunning in two respects and deserves my rating of  4 stars for these two points alone:

Firstly, the outside visual aspect of the hotel - the iconic W (bella to the taxi if you want to get home - don't say W!) and it's contemporary architecture can be seen from viewpoints all over Barcelona. You feel proud you are staying here. I found myself looking out for 'my' hotel on the Barcelona skyline everywhere I went, not something I have done before. It is that good a building.

Secondly the bedroom and the view from it particularly from the Fabulous rooms of the town and the beach is simply breathtaking  - Wow indeed.

We were on the 16th floor of 25 floors and it is definitely a case of the higher you go, the better the view!

The bed is unbelievable and beautiful to sleep in.

The service from reception and the customer service team are excellent. Their Whatever, Whenver policy really is as it sounds.

Now the bits I didn't like and why it is a missed opportunity and should be 5 star +

What hotel in the world does not provide some sort of tea or coffee making facilities. There is nothing in the room except for the Munchie box (minibar to you and me and very overpriced). We complained and asked the Whenever Whatever team and we got a coffee making machine instantly to their credit but so alien was this concept to the hotel  that we were charged 4.13 euros (yes you read the .13 correctly!) for the milk.
When we got in the room there is alcohol everywhere (in addition to the minibar)  with astronomical prices on the bottles. If you were trying to avoid the drink or were teetotal I would imagine this to be a little annoying.

The food - we did not eat Dinner in the W as we were on a Tapas mission in the old town however we did have breakfast for 3days in a row and boy was the service slow. Also if you re English and ask for sausages, eggs or bacon please expect the wildest interpretation of that! Tasty but minute and a long time coming. I'm not critical really of the quality of what we received I just felt that the staff needed shaking and waking up. its like they have only just opened. For breakfast it actually took 30 minutes to be seated one morning!

The leisure set-up is completely misguided. To charge 20 euros for a jacuzzi and a sauna is ridiculous. Every top hotel in the world gives you a pool indoors (particularly if there is a winter season) as well as fitness room, jacuzzi and steam and saunas for free. The whole spa therapy was vastly overpriced compared to other comparable accommodation we have stayed at. 160 euros for a massage I now know why Starwood use the Wow word so much.
The W has an outdoor pool area to die for in the summer but surely they could have afforded to have installed an indoor winter pool for the amount of money it's guests pay.

The bar drinks are also overpriced and service is again painfully slow. We didn't stay in the hotel in the evenings and hit the old town bodegas and bars which even for a city as big as Barcelona are cheap compared to the hotel! Also surprisingly some of the clientele in the W are worse as well. One night I was accosted by two drunk English guys trying to chat up an older lady sitting at the bar looking very intimidated as they were swearing and causing quite a scene. The W set-up allows outsiders not in accommodation to use the bar and 'nightclub' and because of its uber cool and hit status to the Barcelona night time scene I can see how this may happen.

Great place to go anyway if you go in summer only (so it is not to cold to use the outdoor pool!) if you are not worried about tea and coffee,:) are an alcoholic, not bothered about leisure facilities and like paying for any extras like the internet which nowadays most top hotels give you for free (and so they should when charging a premium price)

I know W is a brand and you're paying for the cool trendy concept but surely Starwood  understands these issues and are going to address them and they really would have an ultra 5 star hotel. In my opinion you should definetely go there for the experience of the view and the bedroom but would I go back for a return visit? No, my hard earned wonga is too valuable to waste on the extras my friend and surely that is what the hotel business is all about?

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view - upgrade to a Fabulous room which overlooks the city and the...
3  Thank wallywalnut
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We just came back from a long weekend in Barcelona and stayed at the W hotel. When we checked in there was a slight problem as the pc was being very slow for checking in. Our room was also not ready but before we could say anything, we were offered free drinks in the bar and they said they would come and get us when the room was ready....which is exactly what they did about 15 minutes later. All the staff we came across during our stay were extremetly friendly and attentive.

Our room was on the 22nd floor and I cannot fault it. It was so nice to sit at the window and just check out the view. The shower was also wonderful.

We ate dinner in the Wave Restuarant which was delicious and we had breakfast 3 times in the Bravo restaurant. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was very good but I have heard that if it is not included it is 30 Euro's per person..which it is probably not worth. Then again I only ever take a croissant anyway. We had room service one night which arrived promptly and the food was still nice and warm.

All in all a wonderful experience. A couple of things I would point out though. The hotel is about 20-30 minute walk from Barcelona town. We are quite fit but after walking around Barcelona all day and walking back to the hotel, we could not be bothered to walk back into town for dinner as we were too tired.

The hotel is very trendy and I enjoyed it...however we sometimes take my parents on holiday with us and I think that in this case they would not have enjoyed it as they are in their late 70's. I would also not really take kids here. The hotel is geared to a younger crowd.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

As a CAT 6 SPG property, I expected a clean room. But the studio suite was dirty and run-down. The carpet was stained and dirty. The bathroom tub cover was made out of plastic and the sides were not sealed properly. Best yet was the wiring conduits that were visible above the mirror in the bathroom. When I ask for another room, they told me that there were no more suites left Friday night and Saturday night and I could get a room on a higher floor if I don’t mind giving up the upgrade.

After emailing back and forth with the W-Insider, she was able to secure a cool corner suite on the 18th floor for the last night, and personally review the suite before I checked in. She felt concern about the condition and tried her best to make my stay better. Since I am a SPG Platinum it did help.

The Corner Suite on the last night was the saving grace for me from my wife. She was complaining about the dirty carpets the first 2 nights. The view from the 18th floor on the Corner Suite was nice. Waking up to the Mediterranean Sea sun rise was an unique view.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. 0-6 is not okay.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
wquality, Director of Quality at W Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear Peter K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and the travel community.

I am glad that our W Insider was able to assist you in finding a suite up to your expectations. You can be sure that our Hotel Manager and Director of Style were informed of the situation and corrective actions have been taken from the moment that suite was available.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the condition of your room, I value your feedback and your loyalty as a member of our SPG program, you can be confident that we will take actions.

If a future trip brings you back to our city, please let our W Insider know so she can assist you from the begging of your arragements and provide you with the level of service we are known for.

All the best,