“Loved It/Will Return”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Barna House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barcelona
Barna House B&B
Ranked #88 of 326 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Virginia, USA
“Loved It/Will Return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Wonderful stay for five nights. First trip to Barcelona. Ten months before my trip I booked Casa Dover for three nights then added one more night a couple of months later with no problem. At the last minute (had to flee Greece due to a potential air controller strike) I asked to add one more night to the front end of my ressie. Casa Dover was able to accommodate my request and keep me in the same room for my entire stay.

Pros:

Manager/Host Cristian and his staff, Alexis, Elena, and Yanet were simply delightful. My visit in Barcelona would not have been complete without their hospitality. Cristian answered my never-ending questions anytime he was in the house. And, Alexis helped me with a few bits of Spanish. He was even kind enough to write down my cleaning instructions for me to take to the man at the laundromat. The ladies do not speak English but somehow we got along with our ‘make shift’ communication. A big smile goes a long way!

The location of Casa Dover was exactly what I had hoped it would be. I am so grateful I did not keep my first booking at a big hotel on Las Ramblas (that street was so not my taste in travel). The district of ‘Gracias’ is truly a local neighborhood and I enjoyed every sight and sound of it.

My room (#6) was better than I expected. I had no idea it would have floor-to-ceiling French doors that opened onto a tiny courtyard (shared with the adjacent room). Bonus!!

Rooms have individually controlled air condition units that are operated by a remote control. Fantastic!!

Continental breakfast was included plus there was space available in the refrigerator to place a few personal items. I took advantage of this when shopping at the supermarket nearby for Greek yogurt and wine; and, when I bought a few olives at Boquiera to enjoy with my evening wine.

Iron with mini board and a powerful hairdryer were available for personal use simply by inquiring.

Café Adonis while not affiliated with Casa Dover is located in the same building on the street level, and the two businesses have a referral-type relationship. This restaurant/bar offered me a welcome respite between walking/sightseeing and the late-night dinner hour.

Cons:

I don’t recall any!! Unusual for me as I typically find something that is a negative. Not intentionally, mind you, just reality. *smile* If there was one slight drawback, it would be that there is no shelf inside the shower on which to rest your shampoo, bar soap, razor, etc. Did it hamper my stay? Nope. However, had I known this, I would have brought along a hanging mesh over-the-shower head bag for such items.

I would stay again without hesitation and will refer my friends.

Please feel free to present me with any question regarding this property. Obviously, I do not have all the answers but I will respond to any/all inquiries. I cannot wait for my return visit to Barcelona and to Casa Dover. Planning on 2014!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Shyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Limassol, Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

The whole floor planning feels like entering an apartment of 7-8 rooms. There is the living room and kitchen in the middle and all rooms around them. It is located in a wonderful neighborhood and we didn't regret it choosing the location, as we saw one one the nice locations of Barcelona. Also breakfast was sufficient - do not expect the buffet of a hotel, but if you are someone that would want to have a light breakfast (coffee, juice, cruasan, cake etc) then you will be happy! Our room couldn't accommodate 2 luggage open, so one had ot be on bed while we were using it..
Also Sagrada Familia is about 15min walk, La Pedrera about 15min and Park Guell about 20 min.
However... We couldn't sleep at all at night! 5 nights, 5 sleepless nights.... If the neighbor uses their sink - we woke up. If the use the bathroom - we woke up. If they opened their door - we woke up. If someone was going up the stairs of the building and was talking - we woke up... So it was an absolute nighmare on this subject!
One night the neighboor woke up at 4 in morning. And we could hear and imagine everything they were doing... Opening bathroom door, using sink, using toilet, using bathroom, then again sink, and then closing the door when they left...

Would i go back again? I would chose the same neighborhood but something different. I specifically noted by email to the owner that we want a quiet room - not facing the road because my wife had problems with her ears, and he gave us one that instead of noise from cars - we had all other noises!

The owner tries to help customers, but you need to do the talking first, as he is not very talkative by himself. But whatever you ask him he will try to give you best information. Note that this place doesn't have reception, so be prepared to wait until the owner comes to open the door for you... We had to wait for about an hour...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fekish
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I chose to stay at Casa Dover during our 4 day trip to Barcelona. We found Christian, the host, to be very helpful and accommodating. We booked Room 3 (one of the two suites) which overlooked Carrer de Corsega. Our room was very spacious, clean and accommodating. Mattress slightly on the hard side. Overall the bed & breakfast has a pleasant feel, is very cosy and has a great atmosphere. Breakfast is served from 9-11am (the day seems to start a little later in Barcelona) so we made sure that we ate at 9am sharp in order not to waste too much time. Casa Dover's position is very strategical and great for whoever prefers to vist the city on foot. 10 minutes walk to the Sagrada Familia, 10 minutes walk to om Passeig de Gracia where you will find Gaudì's Casa Pedrera and Casa Batllò. A must stop for anyone staying at Casa Dover - tapas at La Pepita (Corsega, 343).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maria_Luc
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights at Casa Dover. Originally had a lovely room with a balcony that overlooked the street but just after being shown into the room was asked if we would consider trading rooms to accomodate a guest with amubulation issues. The only other room not already occupied had a step inside the room and the guest would probably have problems navigating it. Of course, we said we would trade. The other room was adequate size and the bathroom was fine. However, the only window looked into the atrium of the building. There were apartments, etc, above the rooms and the people were coming and going all hours of day and night with screaming children early in the morning. We could hear all of this. No way to get fresh air into the room or look out into the city to check the weather. We were not offered a discount and didn't ask for one since were both exhausted from traveling to get there. The gentleman who greeted me was very pleasant but didn't offer any discount to trade.
The light wooden floors made the spaces seem larger and opened it up . The bathroom was large and water pressure was great. Breakfast was adequate, nothing hot except coffee and tea. A communal refrigerator was available as was coffee and tea always. Free wifi and tv in the common living room also. I would consider staying there again but not in the inside room!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank superrn_98
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

This B&B was the perfect place for us (8 People)
It was very cosy and we could all sit outside in the "living room" together and have breakfast in our pj's- it definately felt like home!
Our host Cristian was very helpful and explained us the whole city on a map... So we would know where the good restaurants and bars are ;)
the rooms are adorable! I really liked the cute and individual style of them!
Don't forget to bring some ear plugs though- the walls are very thin!
The central location of the hotel- close to sagrada familia- made it easy to reach about every point of the city in a short time- either by foot or metro which is close to the hotel too! We will definately come back here!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank alexqt
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

Casa Dover is definetely a nice place to stay in Barcelona. In a ten minutes walk you can reach a metro station and if you feel lazy, there is another metro stop at only 5 minutes from the B&B. And if you like to walk, you are right on the Avenguida Diagonal, not far from Passeig Garcia... so basically, by metro or on foot, you can easily go everywhere.

The B&B was really cozy and Christan was a great guest. They serve continental breakfast with lots of muffins, mini croissants, bread, cereals, fruit, juices, coffee and tea. Believe me, there is plenty of food for every and each guest there.

Our room was big and, most important, clean. They clean up your room daily but you'll have fresh blankets and towels every three days, and personally I am fine with that. I mean, I am not that dirty! In any case, if you need extra towels, they are keen to please you.
The biggest concern about the room was a very strange and loud sound that we could hear during the night. We didn't figure out whether it was the A/C (but our was set to OFF) or the flush of some toilet but for sure it was really really loud. In any case, you can live with it and honeslty it was really annoying only one out of three nights spent there.

So yes, I would definetely recommend this accomodation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank miss_frog
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

The place is well designed with warm and calming atmosphere.
Our room was nice and big with a balcony.
Christian and his team were very helpful, Excellent service.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay in the center of Barcelona in a nice place at a reasonable price .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple