“Little gem”

Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona
Ranked #23 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed November 3, 2013

One of the newer 5 star hotels in Barcelona.
Rooms are on the small side and hardly any view. The so called balcony is tiny and it would be a tight fit to have breakfast there.
The service is good but when you check in after 3pm your room is not ready and you have had a long flight, patience can were thin. The alternative is upgrade or wait. This happened twice in the same trip. Also happened to my friend. Is this a ploy to get you to upgrade?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gloria1976_13
There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Mandarin Oriental in Barcelona the second week of October, 2013. As others have noted the rooms while spotless are layed out in such a way that their function does not accomplish the restful stay one hoped for; the lighting is so low as to be dangerous, especially in the bathroom--the shower, no matter how careful you are , makes the floor area wet, and slippery! To be charged for wi-fi when you are spending almost $600 per night for your room left a very bad impression on us--and finally after the first evening was provided gratis.

To enter the hotel one must walk up a steep incline!!!! There is NO ELEVATOR OR ESCALATOR to assist you---as I am disabled ( I walk with the aid of a cane) this was very stressful---had any review ever mentioned this fact, we would have stayed elsewhere. There is a very limited area to sit in the " lobby " and the seats are so low to the floor that getting up from them is very difficult---and for people who are NOT disabled!!

The pool on the 9th floor was relaxing with beautiful views of the city--and luckily still opened in October as the weather was still very pleasant.

The staff was very accommodating and the buffet breakfast was plentiful with many choices from which to choose---and presented beautifully.

I had not stayed at a Mandarin Oriental Hotel before and coming from a week at The Ritz in Madrid, there is NO hotel that can reach that level of elegance but I certainly expected our room to be more comfortable and lighted better. While we would not choose this hotel again, for others it may be a good selection. The location is very central and the hop on/hop off bus is in front of the hotel which is very convenient..

I again want to praise the staff who are all very well informed about places to visit, restaurants to choose, and always with a smile and a welcome to the guests that include your name.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank diana z
Reviewed October 31, 2013

If not for the views, the food, the pool, the service and the great design, this place would be nothing.

Stayed for 5 days with my wife and Mother-in-Law while I was in town on a business function. We stayed in the Terrace suite and an adjoining Terrace room. The suite is very nicely laid out and I appreciated it having a separate study area for my work while there. The furnishings are very good quality as you would expect from the MO hotels with superb housekeeping and all the little extras anyone could want or need. The terrace at night overlooking the Boulevard was a nice place to sit and unwind before heading out for dinner.

My special thanks go out to the hotel concierge and crew my bag was lost on arrival and having an important conference to attend the next day they arranged for the Brioni store to stay open a little late so I could pick up some shirts and ties and a suit .. my wife always laughs cause I am 6'1" and 190 pounds so I am quite easy to fit of the rack she never believes i can get the same shopping done in 30 minutes which takes her almost a full day.

The hotel’s famous “tea time” every day at 4pm i something you should try while there too, which offers an assortment of high quality teas and cakes and is a real treat.

Many questioned why would we stay in an Asian influenced hotel while in Barcelona but as others have mentioned it is unlike any other MO property I have stayed in. They really seemed to keep to and want to convey the feel and influence of the city with this property overall I think they accomplished it quite well.

The building itself used to be a bank and you can still see traces of it throughout the premises. Definitely one of the nicest hotels in Barcelona, this luxury five star accommodation will offer you a comfortable stay and top-notch service. There is really little to say negatively about this hotel; the interior design is tasteful and the rooftop pool overlooking Passeig de Gracia, is definitely a treat.

Bottom line I highly recommend it for your stay in in Barcelona

Room Tip: If your a runner there are some great running paths in the Parc de la Ciutadella just a short distan...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SEBESZ
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Mandarin Oriental is supposed to be a 5 star hotel. On the surface it appears to be. Public areas and restaurants are beautiful. But don't EVER book a garden view room. There is a small garden on the back of the hotel but that is not your view when you are on floors 2 and above. The view is of an empty hot tub, the back of what looked like tenement housing and a schoolyard with basketball court and graffiti filled walls. Customer service was also terrible!!! We were given one room that faced the street initially. The desk called us to say that that was not our room and we were forced to move to the room afforementioned. There was no consideration of our displeasure and apparently ALL rooms were booked(and we know that that isn't true). The garden view room cost 440 euros. We were very unhappy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Debra G
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for 4 nights to attend a corporate meeting and I have to say that thanks to the exceptional service the meeting was a great success. When I first walked into the hotel I thought it was a bit small and I was expecting something more luxurious (same with the room) but I soon realised that real luxury was the service and the details. The food at the Blanc restaurant was delicious, the hotel staff knew my name and all my preferences (for coffee, food, etc) after only 1 day!. Small details like the smell of the hotel, all the room amenities and the rainforest shower are things that you do not find in other hotels. The hotel has a sense of calm and oriental service which I have only found in Asia. The personnel were really nice and always trying to help and made you feel really welcomed and special. I had a great experience and if I had the opportunity I would choose it again for a meeting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for 5 nights before going on a cruise and found it an excellent hotel with attentive service. We stayed in a suite that had a separate living and bedroom area. The marble bath was beautiful, although the rain shower was a bit daunting and the floor outside the shower always got wet. We had a beautiful private terrace, large closets and well stocked bar. The butler service was superb. Furnishings and decor are very modern and sleek--white and mirrors. I did not like the hallway fragrance that so many hotels are using but fortunately it did not go into the rooms. We loved the Terrat--great rooftop bar. They had a lovely spa and services. I would have rated the hotel excellent except for the hall fragrance and I thought the restaurants were very good, not great. Service was excellent.

Room Tip: Hotel faces a busy street so keep that in mind. However, soundproofing seems to be very good. If...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Visit Barcelona on my trip to Europe and decided to try the new Mandarin Oriental. Some friends told me not to visit an asian branded hotel in Spain but, I must admit it is beautifully done. Rooms are comfortable, it´s well located but service is still not there. Arrival was sloppy, upgrade not granted and room not ready upon arrival. I waited and waited and had to check myself several times. Service for breakfast was good even though you had to chase waiters to have your cup refilled. Nice hotel but value for money is still not up to par.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple