“Amazing experience, Mandarin Oriental delivers!”

Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona
Ranked #22 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Haugesund, Norway
“Amazing experience, Mandarin Oriental delivers!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We visited Barcelona in April with a group of 30+ people, and had high expectations when we decided to go for the high-end hotel Mandarin Oriental. I've had many excellent stays with Mandarin Oriental in Asia (Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur etc) and this hotel absolutely live up to the brands rich history and quality.

They managed to deliver a truly amazing experience for each of the couples in our group, and also great followup with me as the group leader both before, during and after the visit.

Great bar with top notch service, great spa (according to the ladies who all had treatment :-)

So if you're visiting Barcelona with a group or with your partner, my advice is to select Mandarin Oriental, and the hotel and hotel room will be a big part of you good memories when you think back on your Barcelona trip.

Room Tip: We had a junior-suite, and that room was just great. Please see the pictures for more details.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is a really lovely hotel. We booked junior suits, which gave us much needed additional room. A nice bonus is that the junior suite had an extra bathroom. The service from start to finish was wonderful. Breakfast came with our stay and was luxuriously done. The bar is very nice and comfortable and the restaurant was stellar. You cannot beat this location unless you want to be on the water. A terrific place to stay as a tourist - right in the shopping area, easy access to everything. We loved it.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a junior suite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a toss up on our trip to Barcelona: the Arts or MO. The final decision to stay at the MO was based upon location: we wanted to be central. But let's get away from location for a moment, and talk about the hotel. For those who are already 'fans' as Mandarin calls them, then what I am going to say will resonate: the staff here gets it! Everyone is immensely helpful and committed to making you feel welcome. Our meals in the two restaurants were flawless. Our room was small, but not claustrophobic, dominated by a large king size bed. Everything was so MO: simple, while and very design-orineted. The bathroom was wild, with a large walk in shower, with more pressure than we had ever experienced in a hotel; as well as a nice size tub and crazy sink (could have used two though, a minor flaw). The terrace was a great refuge, and quite surprising in a downtown property. All services exceptional. You cannot go wrong here. Would we return? Yes. What about the Arts...we had an exceptional dinner there, and it is an option for you to consider as well.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back have terraces.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lawrence2300
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the MO as our first stop in Europe and the Hotel Arts/Ritz as our last stop. They are both very nice hotels, however I would definitely choose the Hotel Arts/Ritz as my preferred hotel for many reasons. The good is that MO offered excellent service upon arrival and we were assigned our own Butler who whisked us from the curbside into our room for check-in. The hotel location is close to Las Ramblas and shopping. The breakfast was wonderful, the bar had nice ambiance, the room service food was good and the hotel was not overcrowded.
The not so good is that our suite was supposedly double upgraded but I felt we may have been downgraded. I found the room to be very uncomfortable in many areas. The bathroom was terrible with sliding frosted glass doors next to the bed and we're still trying to figure out who other than a child could use the circular bathtub. The bathroom doors didn't close completely and even if they did, your travel partner will be suffering thru blinding light should you need to use the toilet in the night. We found the furnishings in general to be uncomfortable, the bathroom design not functional, the shower leaked thru the doors and there was some molding. The balcony was very small with no chairs and overlooked the parking area on the street. As far as the common areas of the hotel, for the most part everything appeared to be nice; however we were surprised at the extremely dirty carpets in the hallways and elevator.

4 Thank 5startraveler
Naples, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 26, 2013

If I were in the hotel business, this is where I'd send all my executives. I'd say "watch what the staff does...and learn from it." All of the Mandarin Oriental amenities and design flair was in evidence. My room overlooked the main boulevard but was well sound-proofed. The WiFi was perhaps the bst I've ever experienced--throughout the property.

But the thing that knocked me out was how quickly the staff shared information. Within a day of my arrival, every employee greeted by my name. After eating at he Blanc restaurant only once, all of the servers knew that I liked lots of ice in my Diet Coke, and no lemon. Their awareness of each guest was remarkable. Their obvious enjoyment in serving you was enjoyable without being obsequious.

Congratulations to the staff and what must be a great leadership team.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Mark G
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a fabulous hotel. Checked in and was assigned a first floor room on the boulevard. After some discussion and a lot of maneuvering by the woman at the desk, I got a sixth floor room since I am a light sleeper. They worked very hard to accommodate me since a family had reserved quite a few rooms including one whole floor.
The concierge people are extremely helpful, especially Francisco. I did not know Barcelona that well but once I told him what I was interested in he provided a lot of useful information.
Rooms are spacious and bathroom is nice; amenities are first class. The Banker's Bar in the hotel is very unique since the building formerly housed a bank. The bar still has the safe deposit boxes and the service and pour are very nice. Highly recommend this hotel. The bed was a platform bed and very hard.

Room Tip: Request a high floor. The boulevard rooms are nice and quiet but it needs to be fifth floor or highe...
1 Thank Discerningrater
Paris, France
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great choice in Barcelona but I'm not sure it's worth what I paid for...
On top of everything... Staff ! With a very special mention to the ladies dedicated to suites and staff working at the concierge desk.
Location is great, suite and it's bathroom were nice, breakfast ok but service there has to be improved...
Loved what they did with this old building !!!
Two friends stayed in a standard room which seems a bit small for Mandarin Oriental standards...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple