“Good Location”

Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona
Ranked #25 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the MO as our first stop in Europe and the Hotel Arts/Ritz as our last stop. They are both very nice hotels, however I would definitely choose the Hotel Arts/Ritz as my preferred hotel for many reasons. The good is that MO offered excellent service upon arrival and we were assigned our own Butler who whisked us from the curbside into our room for check-in. The hotel location is close to Las Ramblas and shopping. The breakfast was wonderful, the bar had nice ambiance, the room service food was good and the hotel was not overcrowded.
The not so good is that our suite was supposedly double upgraded but I felt we may have been downgraded. I found the room to be very uncomfortable in many areas. The bathroom was terrible with sliding frosted glass doors next to the bed and we're still trying to figure out who other than a child could use the circular bathtub. The bathroom doors didn't close completely and even if they did, your travel partner will be suffering thru blinding light should you need to use the toilet in the night. We found the furnishings in general to be uncomfortable, the bathroom design not functional, the shower leaked thru the doors and there was some molding. The balcony was very small with no chairs and overlooked the parking area on the street. As far as the common areas of the hotel, for the most part everything appeared to be nice; however we were surprised at the extremely dirty carpets in the hallways and elevator.

4  Thank 5startraveler
Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed April 26, 2013

If I were in the hotel business, this is where I'd send all my executives. I'd say "watch what the staff does...and learn from it." All of the Mandarin Oriental amenities and design flair was in evidence. My room overlooked the main boulevard but was well sound-proofed. The WiFi was perhaps the bst I've ever experienced--throughout the property.

But the thing that knocked me out was how quickly the staff shared information. Within a day of my arrival, every employee greeted by my name. After eating at he Blanc restaurant only once, all of the servers knew that I liked lots of ice in my Diet Coke, and no lemon. Their awareness of each guest was remarkable. Their obvious enjoyment in serving you was enjoyable without being obsequious.

Congratulations to the staff and what must be a great leadership team.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Mark G
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a fabulous hotel. Checked in and was assigned a first floor room on the boulevard. After some discussion and a lot of maneuvering by the woman at the desk, I got a sixth floor room since I am a light sleeper. They worked very hard to accommodate me since a family had reserved quite a few rooms including one whole floor.
The concierge people are extremely helpful, especially Francisco. I did not know Barcelona that well but once I told him what I was interested in he provided a lot of useful information.
Rooms are spacious and bathroom is nice; amenities are first class. The Banker's Bar in the hotel is very unique since the building formerly housed a bank. The bar still has the safe deposit boxes and the service and pour are very nice. Highly recommend this hotel. The bed was a platform bed and very hard.

Room Tip: Request a high floor. The boulevard rooms are nice and quiet but it needs to be fifth floor or highe...
1  Thank Discerningrater
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great choice in Barcelona but I'm not sure it's worth what I paid for...
On top of everything... Staff ! With a very special mention to the ladies dedicated to suites and staff working at the concierge desk.
Location is great, suite and it's bathroom were nice, breakfast ok but service there has to be improved...
Loved what they did with this old building !!!
Two friends stayed in a standard room which seems a bit small for Mandarin Oriental standards...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FFlyerCDG
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Don't have the patience to write a long review but here are the points;

- Arrived on Good Friday for a long Easter weekend - having booked a flight+hotel BA holiday (business class + 5* hotel)
- Welcome was adequate but had to wait for a room for two hours as we arrived just before midday - so waited in the basement restaurant.
- Room was pretty small and had french windows overlooking the ornamental garden at the rear
- Bathroom's shower cubicle is quite odd in the sense the flooring has a moveable slab of what appears to be marble and quite slippery.
- Shower ran hot and cold with little consistency in temperature (pressure was more consistent)
- At check-in was asked about newspapers - none delivered
- At around 1600 on Saturday housekeeping staff open and come into room unannounced!
- Water problems in bathroom continued
- Checked out Sunday morning (a day earlier than planned) - used BA Exec club points and returned home (sacrificing the return flights back on Monday as the dates could not be changed)

Pros:
- Great location
- Helpful restaurant staff

Cons
- See above

Would we stay again: NO (this is in marked conrast to a 9-night stay at MO in Hong Kong over Christmas last year - that was absolutely great)

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms here are pretty small - there seem nicer hotels on the same street/area for...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GlobalNomadLondon71
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great Spa experience at the Mandarin Oriental Barcelona! I had organized two spa treatments for my best friend's birthday and we were were well looked after at the Spa! Team was great, settings very nicely featured; the atmosphere was great, the pool and steam room were awesome! We were booked in the double cabine and this was a great experience alltogether! Thank you for a great moment of relaxation!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Serendipidity
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Three days in Barcelona with my other half for some R&R, this hotel was chosen by my travel agent so no preconceptions. We wanted downtown and quality but were cautious as to street noise overlooking as it does P. de Gracia, one of the busiest streets in town.
It was perfect in every way. Walking distance to the best shops, finest restaurants, moody churches and the old town. We had a B&B rate (excellent brekky with dim sum!) and a "deluxe" room which was modern and very comfortable if a bit on the small side but it served our purposes just fine.
The MO has its own Michelin restaurant "Moments" which we didn't get around to trying as there was just too much else to sample so nearby. Notably: Ciudad Condal (the very best Tapas in town), Dry Martini/Speakeasy, L'olive, Da Greco all got a sampling with not one disappointment.
MO manages to combine attentiveness, invisibility, comfort, charm and intelligence in everything it does. We left like old friends; Raphael in the Bankers Bar wrote down his signature cocktail recipe and provided us with a chilled sample in a Perrier bottle as a good-bye gift to take to the airport. How good is that.

Room Tip: Our back-facing room was quiet with no street noise but there is no view.
2  Thank John G