“nice, but bring your own ear plugs”

Casa de Billy Barcelona
Ranked #34 of 310 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 16, 2011

it probably depends what room you get, some seem to be quite large and have a balcony, ours was quite small and had a lift shaft as its closest friend...
the decor is fantastic, billy and co. are excellent hosts, there is a kitchen and lounge and honour bar at your disposal. but if you cant sleep with ear plugs, then forget it!

Room Tip: Not room H!
1  Thank bekosimes

Reviewed May 14, 2011

Casa de Billy is very well located, close to Metro stops and a nice walk from Las Ramblas. Our room was clean, comfortable, and spacious, with a large bathroom and adequate electrical outlets. Free WIFi was available. A parking garage was very nearby. Breakfast was simple but delicious and ample--wonderful coffee, orange juice, and a large fresh whole-grain croissant and jams. Billy provided excellent tips on sightseeing and restaurants! Barcelona is a fascinating and friendly city, I wish we could have stayed more than three nights! There is so much to see and experience!

Reviewed May 13, 2011

We had a wonderful experience at Casa de Billy and would recommend it to others as a great place to stay in Barcelona. Our accommodations were spacious and immaculate with a comfortable bed, crisp clean sheets, nice feather pillows and lots of hot water in an updated bathroom. A plus is access to a kitchen with a frige and an honour system bar and soft drinks. Free coffee, tea and filtered water are always available. The Wifi worked well.

We had room E which opens right into the dining room so it is a bit different as everyone sounds like they are right outside your door and if you plan on sleeping in, you might be bothered as breakfast is between 9 and 10:30. This was not a problem for us, but might be for some people so you may wish to keep this in mind when making a reservation.

The location is very good and within easy walking distance to transportation and sights. There is no sign outside so finding it must be done according to the street number and by looking for the Chinese restaurant next door. We arrived very late at night and Joaquim kindly waited up for us and made us feel very welcome. We had a very unfortunate experience arriving in Barcelona, only to have a bag stolen within minutes (beware folks) but during our stay, Joaquim helped us by directing us to the police station and making the phone call to find the lost and found for us. He was so sympathetic. Unless you are arriving during the day and in fine weather, I would recommend a taxi over the aerobus from the airport to Plaza de espana. If it is after dark and you are not familiar with Plaza de espana, take my advice and spend the money on a taxi from the airport. It is only about 25 euros. The Plaza is big and confusing after dark, and that is where our bag disappeared without us even seeing who took it right from under our noses.

As for the breakfast, we loved it! We loved the company of the other guests to trade stories and hints - a pleasant way to start the day. The crossants are truly delicious - they are unique by being multigrain, and each of the three mornings we had a different tasty fruit spread. Every morning there was fresh juice and great coffee. Joaquim and Sarah were gracious hosts, only too willing to give us helpful hints on places to eat and things to see. Casa de Billy is a little bit quirky with a whole lot of character. I am sorry we missed meeting Billy.

Room Tip: Interior room with own bath.
1  Thank Beeslegs
Reviewed May 8, 2011

What a wonderful, old romantic Spanish flat! Beautiful furnishing to include antiques, art, and decor, charmingly arranged that were simply lovely. The bed linens were clean, crisp and comfy and my room was squeaky clean and quite comfortable. The morning breakfast was perfect, fresh orange juice and heavenily coffee always ready--all provided in the soft morning light of a quite charming dining room.

As far as value for dollar (or Euro): the price is affordable even on the most modest of budgets. I especially appreciated using the free Internet service--and the staff, morning and night, were friendly, professional, personable and always accommodating and helpful. Billy (the owner) even took the time to escort us to the flea market and treated us to a wonderful tour of a little out of the way place in Barcelona. This was truly special and even though I had just him, I felt as if I'd known him forever.

Casa de Billy Barcelona was an absolutely convenient location for us to head to all the lovely sites and restaurants in, around and beyond. I will most defintely head back to the Casa de Billy Barcelona on my next trip to Barcelona, and I'll even try out the newest Inn in the Casa de Billy line up in Istanbul!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2011

The breakfast is the worst I ever had in a B&B, only a piece of bread!
The worst thing is that the staff themselves enjoyed a warm heartly breakfast in the kitchen. Usually they have a big sandwich or cooked eggs. Their food smelled wonderful while we suffered our cold piece of bread/croissant(sp?) with tea/coffee and nothing else

The younger blonde/ staff is unfriendly and unhelpful. I was surprised since most of the hosts I have met in my previous B&Bs are wonderful and very friendly.

Later Billy showed up and she is suddenly much more friendly and helpful. No wonder, she is just an employer, not the owner! Also the arrival of Billy is met with fresh flowers all over the B&B.

I advise that Billy should stayed in his B&B more!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TRavel_Onion555
billycross, Owner at Casa de Billy Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2011

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us at Casa de Billy Barcelona. We appreciate your feedback.
I am sorry that you were not happy with your continential breakfast. After you book with us: you recieved a confirmation of your reservaton and among other things It says: The continential breakfast that is offered on a complimentary (free) basis is very simple and consists of tea or coffee, orange juice, Croissant, butter and marmelade or jam. If you want something extra there is a super market open across the street. Also in each kitchen their is a refrigerator for the guests. You are welcome to buy additonal items that you can add to your breakfast" " Also, guests have use of a fully equiped kitchen where they are welcome to cook their own meals if they so wish"

We take great pride on the kind of croissant we serve. and we take great pride in the quality of our Continential Brekfast wer serve. You refered to it as a piece of "cold bread". Every morning, at about 2am, about 4 blocks from Casa de Billy Barcelona a talented baker is making our wonderful multi-grain croissant or regular butter croissant which I will say are maybe the best in Barcelona. Also, the size is double that of a regular croissant. As I stated earlier guests are well informed before their arrival, when they recieve their written confirmation via e-mail, exactly what to expect regarding breakfast and that they have the option of using our kitchens (we have 2) to cook any or all of their meals.

Yes, every morning, when I am in residence at Casa de Billy Barcelona I have breakast with all of my staff in the kitchen. I also have lunch with them. Guests come in and out of the kitchen all of the time. My staff is like my family; as our my guests. At Casa de Billy Barcelona myself and 50% of my staff live in the property. Our staff is there for your safety and comfort; 24/7, 365 days a year.

Regarding the house being full of flowers upon my return. Yes, we were happy to have you with us during the preparations for my birthday. I have lots of friends. Some of them started out as guests and are repeat customer and have become close and cherished friends. So, yes, the house was full of the most beautiful arrangements of lilies and roses and orchids many of them that came from friends from all over the world. I am sorry that you were not with us for the actual day of my birthday. We had free cava, chocolates and the most wonderful chocolate cake and fruit tarts which were shared with our guests.

I am sorry that I cannot be in Casa de Billy Barcelona all the time. We, as it states on our website, are the owners of three different guest houses on different parts of the world. But my partner Joaquin is in residence and the manager of our Barcelona property and he is in Casa de Billy Barcelona all year 'round (except when he takes a vacation). I , on the other hand, travel between all of our properties every month.

We hope that some day you will return to Casa de Billy Barcelona and we hope that upon your second visit we can give you the kind of experience you want. Thanks again for your comments.
Best wishes,
Billy Cross
Owner

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Don't get put off by the ancient elevator! We completely enjoyed our stay here. We experienced both apartments of the B & B. The staff and owner set the mood for the place and are friendly, welcoming and accommodating. Both rooms we stayed in had a private bath (that was the only option available as other rooms were booked). The room on the 4th floor was off the kitchen-large and beautiful and opened onto a semi private sitting area off the interior of the building. The second room was on the front side, 2nd floor-it had a small balcony off the street-which is busy-but we enjoyed being able to open the doors and sit out above it all. The entire place is decorated with antiques and touches of bright contemporary accents. It is very close to the Placa de Espanya, The Majic Fountain and Mont Juic, also a quick walk (10-15 mins) to La Rambla (if that is where you want to go). Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This was our first visit to Barcelona, but we shall certainly be returning. We caught the bus from the airport to Casa Billy, and were very relieved that the hotel is at most a 5- minute walk from the bus stop. Despite some reviews saying that Casa Billy is difficult to find, we found it with no problems and were warmly welcomed when we arrived.

The hotel dining room is very grand and it was a delight to have breakfast in such lovely surroundings.

Our room was very well appointed. We had a private bathroom which was across the hall; however, this wasn't a problem as we had dressing gowns provided.

The only negative we could find was that our room faced the street, which is one of the busiest in Barcelona. There are two sets of shutters which cut out the majority of the noise but if, like me, you are not used to traffic noise, it may be a good idea to have ear plugs. However, I would say that the bed is one of the most comfortable I have slept in.

On the last morning of our stay we met Billy himself. I wish we had had longer to chat as he is a very interesting man. However, that we will leave for next time as we will definitely return to Barcelona, and stay at Casa Billy.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple