“Really Good Food”

La Gardunya
Ranked #4,259 of 9,400 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: El Raval
Sherman Oaks, CA
“Really Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Found this place in a guide book. Delicious food! The decor was a little 80s but it was clean and the service was good. Unfortunately our Spanish was terrible and our waitress didn't speak English so some things were lost in translation but we were able to get what we needed. We ate the following:

1. Zarzuela (seafood stew) - so good, one of the best dishes I had in Spain. My family asked for bowls and the waitress looked at us like we were crazy. Apparently it isn't that kind of stew. The "broth" is very thick so it isn't a soup.
2. Lamb chops - delicious, sprinkled with sea salt
3. Some sort of mushroom and vegetable dish - also good, very flavorful

After we ate, we walked through the market in which it was located and had some gelato for dessert. Overall a great dining experience. I'd eat here again.

• Visited June 2012

London
“Good value and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

We ate here for all our evening meals, except one, when it was closed on Sunday and we had to try a restaurant on Las Ramblas (which was a rip-off disaster: overpriced food and wine tasting like homebrewed cider). We returned to La Gardunya the next day with relief. The fixed price menus seem to be good value and we enjoyed the paella. Admittedly we have nowhere else to compare it with (except the dire place on Las Ramblas), so there may be better places for paella in Barcelona, but we were quite happy with this one. Can recommend the hake, when they are cooking it. Probably any fish dishes will be good, as they are right in the food market and it will be freshly caught. The white Rioja wine they have is delicious with fish.

Visited June 2012
Toronto
“Great food & Free Sangria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Went for Lunch upstairs and had the prix fixe menu. Had already ordered the sangria and after enjoying our food, found out that the sangria was included!!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank usaw1
phoenix
“Maybe a strange location but a good value, great service and decent food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Through the stinky fish and out the back of the Boqueria market is a quirky restaurant with really good prices. We had the fixed price 3 course paella for 15 euros. Nice salad or mussels, paella, which I'm not fond of but wanted to try and a good desert. Like a flan but the waitress calls it pudding. It comes with a drink so I had wine and it's a small carafe so about 2 nice glasses. It was nice and the service was fine.

Pinole, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Paella search Spain”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

One of the stops on our cruise was Barcelona and since it was my first visit to Spain I couldn't miss the opportunity to taste an authentic Spanish Paella. A travel guide I purchased recommended La Garduyna, which is conveniently located at the back of La Boqueria Market in Barcelona. The entrance to the market is right on Las Ramblas. We ordered the set menu that included seafood paella, salad, bread, desert and sangria, all for 15 Euros.

Everything was very good except for the Paella which was completely lacking in flavor and seasoning. The consistency of the rice was a little on the soupy side and closer to risotto than a well prepared paella, which should have a little bit of a crust at the bottom of the paella pan. I couldn't even taste any hint of saffron in the rice.

The salad was very fresh and well prepared with a good mix of veggies in addition the lettuce. For desert I had the flan and my brother had creme caramel and both were good.

If you are looking for a very good paella in Spain this is not the place. The are many other places in Barcelona that have a good reputation for preparing very good paella. I do feel I got a decent complete meal for only 15 Euros. I would have searched out the higher rated paella places but they were located in out-of-the-way locals and I only had 7 hours to visit the entire city.

• Visited April 2012