All reviewsbarceloneta metro stationgothic quartergreat locationper dayrecommend this hotelvending machineboiled eggslots of bars and restaurantspicasso museumsmall balconystar hotelbarceloneta beachreception staffbooked this hotelcost eurosel bornwalking distance
Reviewed February 26, 2012

The Hotel has a very good position in the city, very close to the sea and the Ramblas. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the breakfast is international and of good quality. The staff is very kind:we had a problem with the electrical key, and they solved it fast. Our room was really quiet, so the place where is the hotel.
Reccomended!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Enrico N
Reviewed February 24, 2012

It’s a very nice hotel close to everything (metro, museums, port, restaurants, Bario Gotico, La Rambla). From the airport you get the train (RENFE) to Passeig de Gracia which is underground connected with yellow line. The metro station Barceloneta is 30m from the hotel. The hotel is renovated and new on the inside! We asked for top floor and we had a terrace with an amazing view to the port and the city. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only problem for me was the bed which was old and curved and I had some trouble on sleep. There isn’t much variety in breakfast but it was OK. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank VassoGreece
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Del Mar pre- and post-cruise in Oct/Nov 2008. We "highly" recommend this hotel for location, service, cleanliness, price AND (yes) the breakfast.

Location: We took the train from the airport (when in Europe, do as the Europeans do). The train is located IN the airport. Take the train to the last stop (Barcelonata). From the front door of the train station, you take a left and walk 2 and 1/2 city blocks, and you arrive at the hotel. EXCELLENT location in the Barri Gotic. YES, there is graffiti, it's all over Barcelona - it appears to be a 'cultural' thing. This hotel is NOT in a bad location; we felt quite safe there. My husband and I WALKED all over the city without any inkling of a problem. HOWEVER, there are pick pockets all over Europe; invest in a money pouch/belt of some sort to keep your valuables on you and away from pick pockets. The hotel is also located about a 10 minute walk from Las Ramblas. The hotel is about a block and a half from a subway station (we toured ALL over Barcelona via the subway). It took us only about 15 minutes via taxi to get to/from our cruise ship. There are a variety of restaurants all around the hotel.

Service: We found the hotel staff to be EXTREMELY polite, pleasant and helpful. Even though I speak alot of Spanish, the hotel staff were very willing to speak practically flawless English to us. We arrived early a.m., and they stored our luggage for us so we could go out and sight see, and they had a room ready for us (both times) by noon. I thought they really went "out of their way" for us.

Cleanliness: I'd say this hotel is as clean or cleaner than most 3-star hotels (aka: Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn) in the United States. The rooms are very nice and updated, on the smaller side, but that's Europe. Request a room on the 4th floor if they have one available; they have a nice balcony. Also, when you get your KEY to the room, it has to be inserted into a keypad in the room. This runs the ELECTRIC in the room including your A/C unit. Be sure if you visit in the summer to ask for TWO keys so you can keep the air on while you're out.

Breakfast: The breakfast is again - European. If you're going to Europe and expecting traditional American food, then my recommendation to you is don't go, stay home. There is such a variety at the buffet; cold cereals, toast, croissant, fruit, yogurt, juices, teas, and coffees. For the more adventurous spirit, there is the European type-breakfast foods to cold cuts, salad (yes we're talking lettuce and tomato), and some eggs and sausages. The variety is more than adequate for a filling breakfast, and I thought the overall quality was very good.

Price: I researched hotels months before we went to Barcelona. This hotel was at least $50 cheaper than any other 3 star in the area, PLUS it included breakfast, which will cost you at least $25 to $30 additionally if you eat outside the hotel for two people. However, I did use an international online booking company, and for a couple of reasons, I'd never do that again. I'd highly recommend booking with the agencies used by TripAdvisor instead (i.e. Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, etc.)

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank SandraPittsburgh_PA
Reviewed November 10, 2008

My friend & I stayed in this hotel for a week in Sep2008. Having read some other reviews, I wonder if we stayed at a different hotel?!! Sure, the staff are not that friendly but apart from that, I found this hotel to be good value. Our room was larger than expected & the beds were v. comfortable. The bathroom is also large, new and clean. The breakfast was ok - we certainly didnt have the bad experience that others reported - the fresh salad was nice and the coffee was good. We loved walking around the gothic and born area, which was nice & close with great restaurants, bars & shops. We much preferred not being right in around La Ramblas, which was too busy & loud. I absolutely loved Barcelona and would visit again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2008

This hotel was booked for us as a pre cruise stay for one night. Having read the reviews I was quiet prepared for the experience. The hotel is in a very run down area near the port of Barcelona, although very central for resturants and La Rambles. The hotel reception was ok although small, the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and tidy, with a great patio outside completer with loungers and parasol, also a great view over the yacht harbour, unfortunately it was raining so we couldn't use it. Although the bed was uncomfortable the linen and pillows were very clean, however I was bitten quiet badly by something, and when I lay in bed I could see marks on the ceiling where someone had killed insects. Breakfast was like something from a comedy, one poor waitress was trying to cope with it all. The cold ham had turned green and was curling at the edges. There was no tongs to pick the toast and rolls up with, as the cooked breakfast ran out it was ages before it was replaced and the cutlery, plates and cups ran out. It reminded me of faulty towers. I would not stay there again ever, the only thing going for it was the location, but the area around it is run down dangerous with people lurking about suspiciously. Not for me.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)