“Barcelona Princess :)”

GreenLeadersGold level
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Barcelona Princess :)”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking to go away for 4 nights in Barcelona and chose the Barcelona Princess as our hotel after reading generally very good reviews. I must say that we both agree with those reviews and were very happy with the hotel overall.

On arrival the reception staff were very helpful and friendly and informed us of all the necessary details for our stay. This friendly service continued throughout the hotel to the breakfast staff, security and other guests. Our room was situated on the 5th floor, which was ideal as there was sometimes a wait for the 3 lifts. We still had good views of the city, from the large window in the room which could not be opened. However, this was not a problem as the air conditioning in the room was very good.

The room itself was of a good size as we weren't planning on spending a lot of time there during the day. There was only a glass partition separating the bathroom from the bedroom , but there was a blind if needed. All facilities including the shower, toilet and television worked without any problems and the tv had 3 English channels (BBC1, Channel 4, E4). There were also a couple of Spanish radio channels which played English songs. We had a free safe included in our room which we used to store valuables and set the code for ourselves.
The room came with a gift box of items such as; shampoo, shower gel, comb, shower cap, toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor, which were replenished if used, daily by the maids as was the mini bar. The mini bar contained, 1 still water, 1 sparkling water, 1 coca cola, 1 lemonade and 1 bottle of Estrella each day. There was also, 2 bathrobes and 2 pairs of slippers which were replaced when used.
The bed was very big, although it was 2 single beds pushed together, when we requested a double room. Was extremely comfortable.

There was a wide selection of foods at breakfast, including; fruits, meats, pastries, bread, cereal and jams. There was a range of juices and hot beverages also. Breakfast was served between 7am and 10:30am. The food was replaced throughout to keep it fresh and hot where required.

There were 6 computers and 2 printers available, free of charge one floor up from the lobby, ideal for internet browsing or printing tickets etc.There was also free WIFI in the lobby for iPads, laptops etc and the password was provided by reception.

There are 2 pools in the hotel, one on the 3rd floor and one on the 23rd; which offered fabulous views. The 3rd floor pool had a bar and was situated next to the gym. It was a very shallow pool (only about 0.85m in depth), therefore only ideal for a quick dip during the day. The 23rd floor pool was a little deeper (about 1.25m) and therefore better suited for swimming.

The hotel is obviously situated a little outside of the centre of Barcelona, but had good transport links, such as; metro, taxis, bus and there was also a bus stop for the official tour bus right outside. It was also located next to the Diagonal Mar shopping centre which had a variety of shops and cafes, restaurants.

On the whole we very much enjoyed our stay and would consider staying at the Princess again in the future!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Me and my fiancee stayed here for 3 nights and found the staff and the hotel itself at the top of the list in terms of Welcoming, Cleansiness, Service, Food and what you get for your money. There is no doubt we will be staying here again and are looking forward to booking soon for next year. The beach is only a 5 minute walk away, the tube is very close and the bus service was exellent to from right outside the hotel. The staff were great when needed for assistance with local information and always willing to go that extra mile to make your stay as good as possible.

Great job folks and hope to see you soon

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Aylesbury
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Chose Princess as very near metro (yellow line), was modern, had a buffet breakfast in price, and had a few free bottles in the room fridge that were replaced daily. We stayed there for 5 nights and it didn't disappoint in any way. The open top tour bus also started right by the hotel, and also bus and tram stations nearby. The room was really modern, clean, and the shower was great.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor ( half way up) and this was about right for us. Although better view on hi...
2 Thank Nick G
Ohio
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The location is a bit to the eastern end of town. It's also connected to the Diagonal Mar mall, which has an outdoor food court that can come in very handy when you need to find food and don't have time. The hotel was selected by our company due to a conference across the street following our meetings, so it was a business decision.

Transportation is great: The hop-on/hop-off tour bus (http://www.barcelonabusturistic.cat) has a stop next to the hotel and they sell tickets at a 1€ discount at the hotel desk. There's a trolly stop a few hundred feet away that can take you down to the Vila Olympica, plus the El Maresme Fòrum Metro (subway) stop on the yellow line is basically across the street, meaning you're only about seven stops to the Barri Gòtic (just go and wander!) and can get anywhere in town inexpensively. Plus there also taxis everywhere - just look for a green light on top.

I was there for business meetings and everything was set up great for our work, plus they fed us constantly. Friends I was with who'd been there before cautioned me that the elevators could be slow, but I didn't experience any problems getting up and down the week I was there. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet each morning as well - it has quite a selection.

My two surprises: There's no iron & ironing board in the rooms, so they provide an ironing service instead. As a business traveler, I'm usually pressing my shirt about 7 a.m. so I can put it on immediately to leave for a meeting, so their service wasn't useful to me because you have to call and wait several hours. I did have one polo shirt laundered and it was hanging in my room before 6p the same day; while their promise is to get it back by 8p. The other surprise was that there's no clock in the room. I always use my smartphone as my alarm clock anyway, but it was interesting to note. As others noted, it's a good surprise that the minibar is free and had a beer, a Coke, a lime and orange soft drink and some water.

One thing I really liked is that when you close the electrically-operated window blinds is that it gets pitch dark in the room. Each morning I'd wake up in a completely dark room, and stumble around, open the blind and was startled that the sun was already up and it was light outside. That's a great feature for jet-lagged travelers.

The staff were helpful at every time to me. No complaints here and I'd be happy to return. If I ever return to Barcelona on a pleasure trip, I might consider being closer to the Gothic district, but that's just me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank betona
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I booked this hotel for a week in Barcelona with my girlfriend based on this site's generally good reviews and on my own (now clearly misguided) preconceptions. The moment we arrived should have sent alarm bells ringing as at check-in we overheard another couple complaining to management about the awful stench emanating from their bathroom and worse, how the hotel was not prepared to move them until later the following day at the earliest. One major positive here however was the very helpful attitude of the front desk staff when we reached the desk, who went out of their way to give us a map and a brief summary of where the hotspots were and how the transport links worked. I liked that a lot, mainly because it was something they didn't have to do but chose to, as was the bottle of champagne that arrived at our room later that evening.

Our room was generally okay, and the free minibar was a nice touch, but the fact we paid extra for a junior suite left me feeling somewhat shortchanged as the size was rather mean, and unlike advertised, there was no balcony furniture on which to sit out and enjoy an evening drink overlooking the sea. Our view of the Mediterranean from the 17th floor was fantastic, yet this was to be short-lived as an unfixable fault to our air-conditioning meant we had to move rooms on our first afternoon, with only a 6th floor room available. Now our main view consisted of the industrial-style roofing of a scientific museum - not great. The bed was comfortable, although how putting together two singles to make a king is cheating in my opinion!

We paid for bed and breakfast and so sauntered down to the buffet on our first morning only to discover the commute via lift to our morning meal would be no easy task. The building has 24 floors yet only three lifts, with only two seemingly operational most days so waiting times and overly-congested lifts became a ridiculous daily charade. The buffet selection was reasonable, although most warm selections were tepid. I stuck to Pancakes smothered in Nutella for the duration of the week to be on the safe side.

We didn't sample the two swimming pools (partly because my girlfriend can't swim!) and partly because there were never any free loungers on which to relax although I'm sure if one arrived at 7am every morning that wouldn't be an issue. We ate at the pool bar/restaurant on two occasions and the food/cocktails was superb. I chose to have a Pina Colada and a steak which were both top notch and for a hotel pool restaurant that level of quality is quite rare.

The week came and went and the overall feeling in retrospect was very much that we could have done a lot better for the same money. Perhaps it was our fault that we didn't assess the hotel for what it was - essentially a business hotel that has lots of little flaws people who weren't there for pleasure wouldn't either notice or be particularly bothered by. Location-wise if I were to stay in Barcelona again (which I would, it is a great city) I would choose somewhere much closer which again was probably our fault, but as far as rating the hotel for being what a four-star hotel should be, it came up way short and I would advise fellow travelers to look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank T421
Barcelona2020, Santiago Hernandez, Director Hotel Barcelona Princess at Barcelona Princess, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

We’re sorry for the inconveniences that you had during your stay at the hotel.

We would like to apologize if you were uncomfortable sleeping on the bed, but all the rooms (except some Junior Suites and the Suite Princess) have two singles beds pushed together since the hotel opened in 2004. The beds are comfortable and are prepared as nice double beds.

The hotel has different types of Junior Suite and both of them are 35m2 big. We advertise what we have and try to be as transparent and clear as possible.

Sometimes, some rooms are not available because that depends from the hotel availability. Our staff tried to help you and solve your inconveniences with the changing room.

Sorry again, if bother you the wait to use the lift. When the hotel is fully booked, in the peak hours, the wait to take a lift is longer.

Furthermore, the Kitchen Department has been informed about the incident with the hot food in the Breakfast Buffet and they are going to solve. Our Chef is always looking for good quality food for our guests.

The hotel I located at the Forum area with good transport connections. The Metro, Tram and Bus works every day until the evening. At night only works the bus, except on the weekend. Just in 20m our guests can get to the city center.

Also, the hotel is near from the beach, next to a shopping center and surrounded by open areas.

For us it was a pleasure to have chosen our hotel for your stay in Barcelona!

Best Regards
Santiago Hernández
Director Hotel Barcelona Princess
Southampton
Reviewed September 5, 2012

for the beach as it is a ten minute walk. The beach is very clean, great amenities, is well looked after by both the life guards and also the council or whatever you call them in Spain.

Now for the hotel. As mentioned in other reviews people complained about how small the pools were, which they are. And how you had to get there early to ensure a sunbed, which you do! So why stress yourself out when you can walk 10 mins and be out in the fresh air with the Med at your feet.

The rooms were small and they could have utilized the space a bit better (obviously planned by a man) by using the wood panelling as hidden storage. However, being on the 19th floor the views were spectacular across the city, we didn't draw the blinds as we wanted to drink in the vast expanse of the city.

The staff on the whole were very helpful and as we arrived at 10am and could not book in until 3pm they stored our luggage and when I asked about tour buses they advised me that the bus stop was round the corner. We made full use of this straight away as we did not want to lose too much time on deciding what to do.

The hotel is a 10/15 min taxi away at a cost of around 10/11 euros to the Rambla which is not bad and it saved us the hassle of the metro and buses but it's what suits you.

Also, we used a taxi to take us straight from the airport to the hotel which cost around 40 euros but it suited us as we did not want to lug luggage from the bus to the metro blah blah.

Anyways we loved it, love Barcelona ..... if you love city life, love the beach, get lost in the architecture and enjoy shopping then this City has it all... we would definitely be going back.

Room Tip: With a view .....and not worry about who can see in ;o)
2 Thank SammersSouthampton