“Very nice....”

Sant Jordi Hostel Sagrada Familia
Ranked #101 of 738 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at the San Jordi hostel sagrada famillia for a few nights last may. I was very happy with everything. The hostel is the cleanest establishment I have ever stayed in ever!!! almost to much even when they came in to the apartment every night at almost midnight to scrub the toilet. The hostel was very new and very cool, with funky decor, skateboards, bean bag chairs, flat screen and nice kitchen. I would recommend to book a 4 bed room because then you get to stay in an apartment separate from the common area, where you will share the apartment with three 4 bunks room, two bathrooms, kitchen, living room, tv, balcony and one private room. So you get a flat sharing experience as well as you can use the hostel and common area there, but the choice is there. Perfect for big groups that want an apartment together. The beds were the most comfortable bunk beds I have experienced and there is free wifi everywhere, never had a problem with the signal. the only negative thing I can say about the hostel is that there was a bit of miscommunication between the staff, I wanted to extend my stay for the following night tomorrow and they asked me to do that on line, I did that and they said I could pay it the day after, I wanted to sleep in. They said it was no problem. Then I was woken up in the morning by the cleaning staff and then the receptionist came to get me, turned out that what I had arranged with the reception the night before was never passed over to the following shift, and I was very grumpy when I had to come down to pay and then back up to try to fall back to sleep. This was the only negative thing I encountered, could have been just my bad luck. I would definitely stay there again and will recommend it as it was a very good hostel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 6, 2012

With few friends decided to visit Barcelona this summer, so we found this super cool hostel! People from all around the world come here so it's easy to find someone to hang out. We made many friends and also the staff was very helpful. Took us out to local places which I loved. Also the hostel itself is really clean and we could use computers and was wifi as well!
So I would recommend Sant Jordi to every openminded and outgoing travelers:)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We booked 2 nights here in a 4-bunk private apartment (as opposed to the 8 or 10 bed dorms). At first, we liked the atmosphere: very public, very open and seemingly very quiet.

We went up to our room and shortly after things started to go very wrong.

1) Despite having a washing machine in our kitchen, we were not allowed to use it. This was never told to us and after leaving our washed clothes in the machine, the staff proceeded to THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE. They said the washing machine was NOT ours to use, that it was for them to clean the sheets of other rooms in our apartment and dry them on our line. I had to argue with the staff to get my clothes back (which were given to me in a black plastic garbage bag).

2) The next morning I woke up around 11am and naturally wanted to take a shower. The cleaning person in our own room started yelling at me and giving me a bad attitude that I wanted to shower...IN MY OWN ROOM because it inconvenienced her. I am not a messy person nor take long showers at all!!! She made a huge fuss, and proceeded to CLEAN LOUDLY. Banging around on tables and chairs and making me feel very uncomfortable.

3) Although they advertised having SEVERAL different wi-fi access points and servers, ALL of them were not working for 2 straight days. They had 8 public computers, but 4 of them were not working and completely frozen. When you would tell this to the staff, they would brush you off and not even come to restart the computers (The PC towers were locked so we couldn´t do it ourselves).

4) Downstairs we kept food, clearly labeled, and it was all eaten the next day. DO NOT PUT THINGS ANYWHERE AS THE PEOPLE WHO FREQUENT THIS HOSTEL HAVE NO RESPECT FOR OTHERS´ BELONGINGS. I know this is not representative of the staff, but it lends itself to my biggest complaint.

5) We had to check out of our current room and check into another because we had to stay another day to wait for our flight. We came in at 11pm to collect our bags again and check into a new room. The staff told us it would be too long for them (there were 2 people ahead of us) and to wait for 20 minutes.

We sat down in the common area.

During this time, I accidentally dropped my iphone. The mistake was mine, I fully acknowledge. But after bringing this to the staff, I was treated VERY rudely by the night staff (He is an older, middle-aged man). The manager, the next morning, told me that he ¨had a bad day.¨Great excuse for a hospitality service.

We came to them with respect and were only treated with disrespect, despite being paying customers for the more expensive rooms at their hostel.

There are signs everywhere advertising the thieves and pickpockets around metros and Las Ramblas (of course) but they don´t say that there are thieves RAMPANT around this hostel.

The security is weak, as they just buzz in anyone who rings the door and the reception is too busy to notice. Any person can just come into the big public area to sit down and wait for guests to be relaxed in this environment and steal from them.

I could not believe what happened, and I lost all my photos on my iphone from the past 5 weeks of vacation and they did not even pretend to care that this happened. Unbelievable.

6) While I was patiently waiting around, 2 other guests had similar bad experiences. I do not know what happened, except for the staff was extremely rude to very stressed guests and one of the staff called the guest a ¨motherf***er¨when he said he wanted to file a complaint.

My recommendation for you: CHOOSE ANOTHER HOSTEL!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank MMBA85
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have traveled quite a lot, and I stay in hostels for the past 15 years, and also own one myself, and I have to say... This is by far the best hostel I've ever been in my life.
I was skeptical about it. I normally don't like hostels who are so trendy and spotless clean, basically because the people that normally stay at these kinds of hostels are either boring, old, or simply not fun. But I decided to give it a go. And this hostel rates high in every aspect.
Yes, it's super clean. I watch the lady clean my room while I was there and she did a great job. Big window helps with ventilation and I couldn't smell a thing. Bathrooms and showers are separated, which is great. And again, ALWAYS clean. It's decorated in a SKATERS style, really modern. 6 computers for guests to use, and a massive kitchen and projection room.
And that's when it gets better. Super social. Made friends in a split second. Out of nowhere, the whole hostel knew one another. And by 11pm, one of staff took us out to party! I'd only expect this kind of fun from a hostel that is not so clean or trendy. Which is why sometimes I prefer to stay on a place that is not like that.

Sant Jordi Sagrada Familia manages to get everything just right! :) I was pretty home sick and happy to be returning home, and they ruined it for me. Now I'm at the airport and sad that I have to go home!

Oh, staff! SUPER FRIENDLY!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank garfolino
Reviewed May 10, 2012

These guys are great at catering for the young, modern travellers. Everything was well thought out - I especially appreciated the individual plug points and night lights by your dorm bed. The beds are comfortable and the space and vibe is really chilled.

The only thing it is lacking is a bar where the guests can socialize with one another. It is also a bit out of the way. The suburb doesn't really "feel Spanish" as my friend kept pointing out when we had left and went to go stay in Gracia which is an awesome vibey suburb closer to Ramblas.

But altogether awesome experience! Would definitely book another stay here the next time I am in Barca.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Positives: good location in the centre, near subway station Sagrada Familia and bus stations (we walked almost everywhere), helpfull staff (you get a map, you can store your luggage for as long as you need and they can print for you the flight ticket:), well equipped kitchen with big fridges (every day there are some left-overs at disposal, the staff also sorts the food inside the fridges and throws away spoiled food), spacious common area (free wifi, pc with internet, big screen tv with lots of dvd's), everything is very clean, mixed dormitories are smartly eqipped with lockers, bunk beds, little lights above your bed instead of one central light, right across the hostel is supermarket, fruit&vegetable and bakery.
Negatives: we booked a double room for couple nights, but because of full house, we were accomodated in four bed room with bunk beds as well (we could have stayed in cheaper mixed dormitory:), unfortunately with window to the "yard" which has a glass roof, so we couldn't get fresh air in our room, and I would welcome even if you stay in one room more nights, a bit cleaning of our bathroom, but I get they do it after you leave..

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank articok
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This hostel is by far the absolute greatest hostel I have ever stayed in. The staff is super friendly and helpful and the hostel itself is verryyy clean and well kept. The rooms are big and spacious and extremely well priced. There is a huge lounge area with a giant tv, plenty of computers, and a big kitchen that everyone in the hostel is allowed to use. Theres also free wifi! Club hopping events were organized every night by Abel (who is really awesome!!) and every bar and club we went to was SUPER fun and drinks were well priced. I met soo many people at this hostel and have kept in touch with many of them. There is literally not a single negative thing I can think of about this place!! If you want to have an amazing time in Barcelona, then definitely book this hostel!!!

Room Tip: My best friend and I got a private room with two beds. It was only about 15 or 20 euros per night wh...