“Traditional tapas and friendly service”
Review of Bar La Plata

Bar La Plata
Ranked #125 of 9,761 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Description: If you are looking for an authentic tapas bar, with the same dishes (anchovies, sausage tomato salad with onions, anchovies and olives and fried sardines) than when it was founded in 1945, where you can enjoy an exceptional wine, do not hesitate. Tourists and lifelong parishioners, anonymous and famous guests (from Ferran Adria taking a break from his techno-emotional cuisine to Daniel Bruhl preparing his next film or Bono, from U2, tuning his voice); all of them looking for a place in one of the six tables of this charming restaurant in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, a reference and an institution of tapas in Barcelona.
“Traditional tapas and friendly service”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Last day of our trip as we strolled around the Gothic Quarter we wanted a light lunch. Tripadvisor once again guided us. This little tapita hit the spot with both a local feel and simple offerings as previously stated, but along with the stock three dishes everyone else was getting we also got a sausage tapas and a scrummy cake for afters too!. Great service with a cheery smile and as other reviewers said ambience was spot on. No menu, and busy but if you want to see what locals do in there siesta, here it is. it was the perfect end to a super 4 day stay in Barcelona.

• Visited February 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
“If you're in Barcelona, just Go!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

One of my favourite places in the city, just for the ambience!

to eat, as a tapita, you can have:
1-fried fish
2-pinchos de botifarra
3-salad (tomato, onion, olives and/or anchovies)
nothing else...
it was cheaper some years before, now its gone too expensive compared to old times... but it is always a nice easy place to stop by and order some fish and a small glass of wine.

• Visited July 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
“"La Plata": eat and feel like home.”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Travel and family ties bring me to Barcelona often, and I have been lucky enough to witness the city’s transformation from a charming Mediterranean port into a Tourist Hub during the last few decades.

This change has brought about a lot of variety (sometimes at too high a price) to the city’s gastronomical offering but has, regretfully, erased part of the authenticity that made no-frills eating such a great thing to be enjoyed not so long ago.

Hope, however, is not completely lost: “La Plata”, in the very heart of Barri Gòtic stays true to the tradition that made the city great in the first place. A basic menu of simple yet outstanding local specialties awaits you there, just past the colorful doors: the “peix fregit” (pescadito frito/fried fish) is worth the visit by itself, while the anchovies’ & tomato salad or the “butifarra” (a smaller but tastier version of the larger-size catalan classic) will for sure satisfy any hungry appetite. In the spirit of the good’old taverns, you will also have at your disposal a more than decent house wine to go along the food, all served by a friendly staff that, for the time I have been knowning them, I can call for sure true ambassadors of Barcelona.

It is always a refreshing routine for me to visit La Plata and reconnect with my city. It can also be for you a fine introduction to “tapas” culture as it should, or as it used to, be.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TheJetAge
London, United Kingdom
“Small, charming, the heart in the heart of Barcelona”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had the opportunity to visit La Plata thanks to a friend's recommendation during our stay in Barcelona in November due to the Gartner Symposium.
Although there is only 1 set menu of 4 dishes, the combination of salad, meat and fish, made the deal and none of us were disappointed but full with a look of satisfaction in our faces. I specially loved the catalan sausages!
The house wine is surprisingly good and about the price...was the cheapest dinner of all week!
The treat was excellent and despite the co-owner couldn't speak english he managed to communicate with my British colleagues and they had a lot of fun with him.
Definitely a "must come back" place.

• Visited November 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great spot , just do not expect the owner to be nice!!!!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I reviewed this place not so long ago and fell in love with it. On a second visit the place had not lost it's charm, popularity, or atmosphere. At my first visitation I observed how quaint and unique the owners management style was but this time round I was really surprised to witness how appaulingly rude he was to all but the people he knew. This is a really small place so you cannot escape interaction with the owner and no matter how much effort was made to utter the basic courtesies of gracias , por favor, etc the pig did not even utter a grunt. I love the experience of Bodega La Plata but second time around was greatly taken aback by the owners crude lack of civility.

• Visited November 2013
AnnaMarjanet, Propietario at Bar La Plata, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hi,
I'm Anna Marjanet, La Plata's owner. I was surprised about your review. Since La Plata was founded almost 70 years we tried to create a "pleasant" and "good fun" atmosphere, as you described in your first review two years ago. We encourage all our workers to maintain the same spirit that my parents put in this bar since the day that they opened it. And this good atmosphere is, apart from the tapas and wine, the thing that our clients appreciate most about La Plata. I hope that you come back to our bar next time that you visit Barcelona and have the same pleasant feeling that you had the first time.
Best regards,