“Come for the sardines!”

Ranked #116 of 10,097 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Description: If you are looking for an authentic tapas bar, with the same dishes (anchovies, sausage tomato salad with onions, anchovies and olives and fried sardines) than when it was founded in 1945, where you can enjoy an exceptional wine, do not hesitate. Tourists and lifelong parishioners, anonymous and famous guests (from Ferran Adria taking a break from his techno-emotional cuisine to Daniel Bruhl preparing his next film or Bono, from U2, tuning his voice); all of them looking for a place in one of the six tables of this charming restaurant in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, a reference and an institution of tapas in Barcelona.
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Cheap, but delicious food at La Plata. We took a one day cooking class in Barcelona, and our teacher recommended this place. She said that the sardines are super fresh. There are four items served (no menu available) - sardines, tomato salad, tomato bread, and meatball. 1 shot glass of house wine (rose, red, or white) is 1 euro.

4 orders of Sardines - Delicious! How can anyone resist deep fried fish?

1 order of Tomato salad - Yum! I love how Barcelona uses heirloom tomatoes for the tomato salad.

1 order of Tomato bread - Nothing special. I wouldn't recommend it.

Meatball - We didn't try it since I don't eat meat.

Overall cost: 18 euros.

When I visit Barcelona again, I'll be back. In addition, they were open early. We arrived at 6:30pm and we were the first customers. I can see how crowded this restaurant can be in the late evening.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I never had eaten sardines before, but when in Barcelona, do as the Barcelonans do... this is a very quaint little place, fresh fresh fried sardines and wine are the only things you need to know. it was close to our rental flat in Barceloneta, and felt like a "true experience."

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Last week, I was walking together with some friends along the Ramblas (famous street in Barcelona). Were were a bit hungry so we decided to eat Tapas. One of my friends rembered that there was this tiny Tapas bar in the neigbourhood which was, in his opinion, very good. So we decided to go to La Plata

I must say, there was a very good atmosphere in the bar; A lot of local people were eating there so I thought. This must be good. But I wasn't really my thing. I ate better Tapas in other places. There is oen thing I can recommend in La Plata. They have this drink called "Vermouth". You can find it most bars in Barcelona but I must say that I drank the best Vermouth in La Plata. Very good!

So are you searching for a place with a wonderfull atmosphere to simply drink something, La Plata is the place. Don't forget to order a "Vermouth" ;)

2  Thank Ruben V
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Great place to pop in for wine while roaming the Barri. The place is small and completely filled up. The bartenders (owners?) were quick and friendly. The menu is simple and the anchovies looked great but we had just finished dinner. It definitely a homey, cute spot worth stopping into.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

1 euro chuppitos of wine, three tapas to choose from, and freshly fried sardines eaten by the dozen by the locals. This isn't somewhere you can stay for dinner, but it's brilliant for a tapa or two and an aperitif. Although it is a little touristy because it now features in guide books, no one in there spoke English when we visited so it felt authentic enough for us! It's a special place and is going to be the most authentic eatery you'll find in the gothic quarter.