Born Toro - CLOSED

Eat like a bull

Reviewed April 14, 2017
Dmitrimu
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed April 18, 2017

I was lucky enough to go on this tour last Easter weekend. I live in Barcelona and have been here nearly two years but I work such long hours I haven't been experiencing Barcelona like I should have been doing. With the 4 day Easter weekend looming I decided to do a food tour and was recommended this tour by a friend.

I met some interesting people on the tour. Some were just in town for the weekend and wanted to get a fast track to all the best spots and some others were also living in Barcelona long term. The tour guide was very entertaining and educational and had high energy. You could tell it was her passion helping people get to know local cuisines and traditions.

We visited a very old bakery from the 19th Century that still had the same equipment, a large market where only locals shop so it didn't have any tourists there so we got the real experience. We made our own pan con tomate at a really old local restauraunt. The tour guide, misty, told us about the history of the place and the owner and his mother who founded the restaurant were there also. Without the tour and guide I would never have went into this traditional restaurant let alone found out the history and story behind it. We washed the pan con tomate down with a delicious glass of cava!

I'm gluten free and emailed the tour in advance and they were very accommodating. They asked the restaurants to cater for me and I had gluten free bread and other options available to me which was a huge bonus. I had emailed other tours but they couldn't accommodate me in this respect so BIG BONUS for anyone gluten free.

To sum up, I highly recommend this tour for either short term visitors who want to save time by getting the fast track. This was a morning tour but the tour guide made us jot down some notable restaurants that everyone should try when they open in the evening. And for people like me who are long term residents here, it is also a great tour to pick up on spots to visit at later dates and also to get to go to restaurants that may seem intimidating as I don't speak Catalan - I never would have gotten to hear the story behind them.

Reviewed April 14, 2017

Although I am a Barcelona resident since last September, I got the chance to join some visiting friends and try out this food tour. The tour is dispersed around the barrio of Born, one of the coolest and most lively neighborhoods of Barcelona. I myself go often there for my night outs but never had the chance to experience its culinary options. And I was indeed amazed. Misty (the ridiculously friendly, proactive,outgoing tour organizer) has made a very sophisticated choice of restaurants, bars and bakeries that cover the whole range of Catalan cuisine. You start your day with a visit to a traditional catalan bakery where you have the chance to meet the owners and have a look at the insides of their businesses. You receive a treat as well! Then you stroll around the Born market where you try jamon and other delicacies. Next stop, a traditional restaurant unknown to tourists where you learn to make your own pan con tomate and you taste the best butifarra sausage available. I am serious, it was deadly. By this time, you will probably have made new friends because Misty is fantastic at making all participants feel that they knew each other well before this day. The tour continues with a detailed recount of the city's surroundings and history accompanied with olive oil (extra extra virgin) tasting, vermut tasting and sangria, lots of sangria. Last but not least, the last stop involves catalan fusion cuisine and is a great counterpart to the previous traditional flavors.

All in all, the tour is worth its money. 4 hours of learning about Barcelona's history and cuisine whilst making new friends is a total win-win. I recommend it to both tourists or expats or locals who think they know best but maybe not.

Reviewed April 12, 2017

We got to know restaurants and bars outside the beaten path in one of the coolest neighbourhoods in Barcelona, BORN. Misty was such a gem, she was very knowledgeable about the food that we tried, we ended up really happy and with a full belly!

Reviewed April 11, 2017

Last weekend we enjoyed the tour with a group of people, an was a perfect way to start the weekend. Event for someone who is from Catalonia, there is history behind the venues that you didn't know. So, if you are coming to Barcelona, you cannot miss it. You are going to learn some history behind the venues, taste incredible food, and obviously have fun!

Reviewed April 10, 2017

Really had an amazing time! The Food was delicious! The organization and attention to detail made all the difference for me!! I highly recommend this tour! I loved the Food!!! Totally loved the Food!!!