If you want to stay in a sky scraper this is your chance. Not high by Asian or American standards it is still one of the highest buildings in Barcelona but it is not for everyone. It is not exactly a luxury hotel and not as modern as it looks. It is geared towards business travelers.
We arrived early and did not expect to be able to check in. The receptionist told us that the system was down but could she have our credit card anyway. We refused especially as we had heard of skimming stories. See one the earlier reviews. The porter was very helpful though and kept our bags for us and gave us directions. When we returned the afternoon reception staff knew nothing about a system down, and gave us our room forthright. We had been upgraded. Fantastic. And our room was almost on the top floor with an amazing view of Barcelona.
The room was boutique style, well designed with a small bathroom which you look into through glass from the room. There is a big sliding door that opens on one side to the shower and another side to the clothes cupboard. Dangerous if one of you is exiting the shower as the other is getting something from the cupboard. There is a big Tv which we did not use and a very comfortable bed and a small lounge chair. The room is lit by a complicated electronic control panel which we could not figure out. Like wise the air conditioning could not be turned down . Eventually a technician came to clean the filters and it immediately worked better. The fittings are all quite cheap for a 5 star hotel but they work and the room looked good. What makes it special is the incredible building itself and the view and all that glass.
Breakfast was good but the design restaurant where it was served was not to my taste. The gym was adequate if a little small. The small Yhi spa was very refreshing and relaxing at the same time. The pool looked clean and inviting but we did not use it. The hotel is away from the tourist area but if you do not mind walking to the nearest metro it is in a good position for anywhere in the city.
When we checked out we had the original receptionist again. This time the computer was not down and we paid by credit card. She took the card quickly into the back. We checked with our credit card company and apparently two attempts were made to withdraw money. Of course we cannot prove anything but apparently card skimming at hotels is becoming quite common.
But don't let it spoil your stay in the sky scraper. We certainly did not. The highlight of our stay was treating ourselves to the culinary delights of the Dos Cielos restaurant, a gourmet restaurant of exceptional standing situated in the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Architecture that staircases the sky; a beacon watching over an energetic cityscape-ME Barcelona Hotel offers a new interpretation to contemporary design, international cuisine, and the urban experience; fusing personal and professional into one emblematic hotel! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Melia Barcelona Sky reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Me Barcelona Hotel Barcelona
- Sol Melia Barcelona
- Me Hotel Barcelona
- Melia Barcelona Sky Catalonia