“A good choice but room for improvement & not a patch on ME London”

Melia Barcelona Sky
Ranked #188 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I often work in Barcelona and stay in the Ayre Rosellon near the Sagrada Familia but as my husband was coming out for the weekend I fancied a change and wanted somewhere with a pool so we could chill out and relax during the day. Firstly from a location perspective if you are visiting Barcelona with the intention of site seeing, visiting the main shopping and restaurant areas then this is not the best location for you - it's not insurmountable but will cost you about €10 in a cab each way. Having said that you do get more for your money, we got the room for c€110 a night which is a simlilar to the rate I pay regularly but the facilities are far better, bigger rooms, comfier beds, better public areas, bars and restaurants and a pool. Dos Ceilos if definitely worth a visit, we just went for a drink before we went out for dinner and the view was fabulous and seeing the food come out I would be tempted to have dinner there in the future.

There were however a couple of things I was really not happy with; there was no complimentary water (which there is in the Ayre) this I could live with if it were not for the fact they charged €4.50 for a small bottle, I absolutely expect to pay more for drinks in a hotel but this was the same price as a beer & 50 cents cheaper than a glass of cava - in fact it was cheaper to order a coffee! There is a petrol station just round the corner so make sure you stock up there. I was also disppointed with the pool area, don't get me wrong it was a fabulous space just very small given the size of the hotel - there are 24 floors (excluding the level) and there were no loungers available at all both mornings we were there, although it does seem to get quieter from about 2pm onwards. We were also unfortunate enough to be staying just above the pool area which had been hired for a wedding, on our way to bed we could hear the ridiculously loud music on the way up in the lift and it was still very loud in our room, the hotel clearly knew there was a sound issue as they had left us ear plugs, but a) they were useless and b) if you know it is that much of an issue it shouldn't still be going on at 2am. Thankfully I also had my own ear plugs which were much more effective! Finally, there is black carpet in the hall ways outside the rooms, which I am sure must be a nightmare to keep clean but to be honest I was disgusted by the sight when the lift door opened and I first checked into my room and it was over 24hours before it was cleaned which was inexcusable in a 4 star hotel.

The second comparison I should make is to the London ME which we stayed in several weeks ago and to be honest was one of the main reasons for booking the chain in Barcelona. London is a 5 star vs a 4 star in Barcelona but even so Barcelona is not a patch on it in terms of service or attentiveness I'm afraid, which is a shame given its a Spanish hotel chain, so you would have hoped they would be leading by example.

One last word of advice, if you book through their website currently you get a €20 credit per day, 2 warnings about this, it is per day and can't be rolled over so if you don't spend €20 you will loose it. Secondly, this is not automatically credited to your account and the onus is on you to prove you have booked through the website and qualified for the offer - even though they must have a record of how you booked, fortunately I had a hard copy of the email confirmation but I don't believe they would have given me the credit otherwise. We also never received the free water on the first night which you are meant to get when signing up to the rewards scheme, so make sure you ask for it.

Room Tip: Get a room several floors away from pool area or any of the bars if you are worried about noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dentonsdestinations
Write a ReviewReviews (2,632)

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This Melia hotel in Barcelona was a really cosy Place to stay. For this short Trip, we did went there for 2 Nights and we can say, that it is a good hotel with a nice and friendly Customerservice there. Room was clean and good outfitted. Not far away from Hotel, have been few very good and typical Restaurants. Especially for this Hotel, that they do have a very good Design!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have spent 2 nights at The Level Melia Barcelona Sky, which is the 5-star section of a 4-star hotel. First of all, location is not great, but taxis are available in front of the hotel and a tram station is nearby. Touristic bus stop is at 10 mins walk. The hotel is modern and offers spectacular views of the city and Tibidabo, at least on the top floors.

We arrived early in the hotel and we were a bit disappointed with the waiting time, we were hoping for a sharper service given the amount of money we paid for the room. A light breakfast was served in The Level reception area. Finally we got the room, which was a family room, spacious and clean, but a bit dated. Honestly we expected more from a EUR 350 per night accomodation and we understood upon booking (possibly our mistake) that we would have a separate living room.

We only tried breakfast at The Level, which as mentioned is light but good quality, however there is a full breakfast served on the ground floor restaurant. Some small issues we encountered, for instance minibar was locked, and number of towels was insufficient for the 4 of us. Problems we signalled were solved however.
All in all, this is a good hotel but location is rather poor and definitely not worth the high rate we paid.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel we stay during Barcelona stay. Overall, it lobby and restaurant make me impact on make use of the color glass.

Opposite the hotel, less than 5 minutes got the open air park. If you can walk, along the street for 20 or 30 minutes walk, you will reach a local shopping complex you can hanging around. Here you can see one giant "Egg" like architecture, it is very beautiful at night when the color is turn on.

Room Tip: Moving around if you know how to take the local train or else take taxi, help you save lot of energy...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Me by melia is a great hotel for young travelers. The hotel is stylish and hip. The customer service was great. The rooms very cozy with beautiful views of the city. Also, the metro is a couple blocks away which was convenient. I would recommend this hotel for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed @ Melia sky from 06 June 13 to 11 June 13 after a fabulous 6 day, 5 star stay in Dubai.
I was highly disappointed from the get go!
The staff at the front desk were very friendly but not very knowledgable about their area and the language barrier didn't make things easier as well so we ended up doing everything ourselves.
The room felt like an upgraded dorm room...broken shower door... no complimentary coffee/tea area... Towels were not changed....
When we checked out we were informed that the deposit that was taken when we checked in would be refunded within 24hrs.. Well over a month later i'm still waiting! I sent the first email on 24 June 13 and received no response, I sent a second email last week and still nothing.
My husband and I travel a lot and we have NEVER experienced such unprofessional behavior. Is this normal business practice for them? Is this how they make their money? By stealing from their clients?
Needless to say but I will NEVER ever stay at any hotel with the Melia brand!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013

That Hotel is a real 4 Star Standard and we did liked our 2 Nights there pretty much. Top friendly Service at the Reception and at the Breakfast Service. The employess did speak good english and was very customerfriendly. Interiour was nice decorated and we felt very cosy there. We can recommend this Hotel. This Melia Hotel does have a very good Design (Colors and Light!!!)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple