“NEVER AGAIN”

Melia Barcelona Sky
Ranked #189 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Friends and I went to stay in Barcelona for 3 nights arriving 5th May. On our arrival the first impression of what was advertised as a 5* hotel, was quite sad. Reception area totally uninviting and not that of one rated 5*. The first greeting was a smell of what can only be described as a dirty dish cloth. This smell continued into the elevator and then into our room, which had silver fish in the bathroom. Nice!
The link for the hotel described rooms as having tea and coffee facilities, bath robes and so on. On inspection our room had none of these. I asked reception why I had no coffee and tea facilities and was promptly told that this was only applicable to certain rooms. However, if I wished to have them, I could at a charge. Once expressing my dismay, and the condition of my room I was given the facility. The hotel is not handy for the city centre, so we had to result in catching taxi's to and thro. All in all loved city. Hated hotel. Wont be going back. Reminded me of a Madams Boudoir.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,605)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at the ME Hotel in Barcelona, when we first arrived the room we were given had a broken shower door so we immediately phoned reception and were given a different room, this was followed up by a complimentary room service 'snack'. The breakfast was great, only thing however on the Friday the breakfast was downstairs which was a really nice space, however next couple of days (Sat and Sun) we had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, where the tables were really close together and everyone did seem a bit bunched up together. The waiters were a bit too keen on clearing the tables, which did mean on a few occasions I had to get more cutlery. As an overview, the hotel is very cool, the staff very helpful, the rooms more than adequate and really clean, although the hotel is a little way out, 5 minutes takes you to the metro. We really enjoyed our stay, thank you.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We chose to stay here after viewing the website & thinking it would be a funky pad to hang in after seeing the sites of Barcelona, oh how we were wrong! The staff make you feel uncomfortable, the pictures on the website are totally misleading... They say they have a pool bar (have a look at the website I admit it looks amazing) where are the loungers? The bar? The towels? All the cabanas are bare & there are no food or drink services or staff at all!! Also don't bother ordering room service unless you are in the mood for the French classic steak tartare, then why not order the hamburger!! That's right it was totally raw! The wifi is intermittent at best but everytime you leave your room you need to sign back in wich takes a good 3-5 minutes that is if you can get a signal at all. The common areas are well appointed as are the rooms but I believe they have focused on quantity over quality. It smells like a bad yeast infection & on closer inspection it is filthy!!! Why bother having white laminate floors if you aren't able to keep them clean?? Another worrying feature is the cracks in the double glazed window panes... It kind of makes you wonder if the hotel was built on
a fault line. The hotel is nowhere near the city centre & the hotel nightclub is also
nonexistent (angels&kings) the bassist of fallout boy is said to own it but perhaps he has had
a fallout with the hotel? In overview stay here if you want style over substance & a dull soul-less environment

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Over the long weekend, we enjoyed staying in this hotel. Very good value for money: nice room (the layout of the rooms is really unique), an outside pool to enjoy the sun on a matrass after long day of walking, very good bartender, making great mojitos. The location is good - to reach the main attractions you go 3-4 stops with the metro. Do try small restaurants nearby in the Rambla of Barceloneta, where differently from Rambla you see locals.
One minor thing - there could be more people serving in the reception, as there was a big cue to check out.

Room Tip: Next I would take a room with a sea view.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the ME in Barcelona for a conference recently. I have stayed in many hotels in the area and there is no doubt this is a really nice one however I do think it might be trying to be a little too cool. The rooms were nice but room service was appalling - I had to call 3 times before finally getting a pretty basic order. The bar is nice and the breakfast is definitely worth staying for. Absolutely lots of choice and really good food. I will definitely go back and try it again as I am not sure I saw it at its best!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view - high floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Lets start with what I love about it:

1) I like the overall layout of the room. It is unique. I can see the Mediterranean sea from my window. The bathtub is separated by a glass with blinds and the other side is the bed. This bathtub blind separation has the option to be down or up depending on your mood. If it is up, you can also enjoy the natural light coming from the floor to ceiling window glass overlooking the Mediterranean sea.

The furniture in the room are so funky from the Divan sofa to the lights. Very well designed.

There is a mini-bar, safety deposit box, iron, ironing board and hair dryer in the room.

Bed is absolutely comfortable.

2) Reception Staff are excellent from the time of check in to check out. They even offer to mail my postcards, affixed the stamps themselves and charge the stamps to my room. I like this very much as not all postcard selling places sell stamps as well.

3) The breakfast is absolutely delicious and plenty! If you cannot find anything you like or can eat, you have a problem. They are freshly made, lots of vegetables, salad, cheeses, boiled eggs, fried eggs, two types of juices, you name it! You need to try their croissants.

4) Location is walking distance to Metro. We felt safe walking around at 10 pm.

ME Barcelona needs improvement in the following:

1) Housekeeping:

We stayed for two days and checked in around 5 pm on the 1st day. The bed was in pristine condition. On the 2nd day, we started touring right after breakfast. We came back at 5:30 pm and the bedroom is in exact state as we left it in the morning. We thought of calling the housekeeping but we were so tired and needed rest. At 6pm, housekeeping knocked at our door and wanted to clean the room. By that time, all we need is a quick nap and we refused.

2) Breakfast starts at 7 am - we were told. We are early birds because we go for early touring. At exactly 7 am, we were downstairs and was told by someone (who was wearing a Chef outfit) that she needs more time to set up. We respected that. By 7:10 am, she still has not come out at the lobby to signal us that we can come in. By 7:15 am, we went back to the breakfast restaurant and advised one of the staff (not the one with Chef outfit) that we have to eat because we have an early tour. The one with Chef Outfit came out and I explained in as much Spanish language I can muster that it is now 7:15 am and our tour starts at 8 am. She did not say much and just signalled one of the staff to let us come in.

Overall, ME Barcelona is a great hotel. We were not able to use the rest of the facilities due to early touring. It was also wet and rainy during our visit; hence, was not able to use the swimming pool.

I will certainly come back to ME Barcelona and will recommend it to my friends. Hopefully, the minor mishaps will be improved

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were here two weeks ago and stayed with my lil baby boy. The hotel was pretty good and the rooms clean. It's a hit and is with the people at the reception as to how much attention they give your problem. We reached in the afternoon and after the heat of barca was disappointed with the heat in the room which made it very uncomfy for us. After repeated complaints the air conditioning was fixed at night all coz of the professional night staff at the reception. Wish the morning staff were the same! The breakfast was super awesum with all kinds of spread. The server staff was just beyond brilliant. So helpful with my baby.
Anyhow the location is excellent and apart from a few issues the stay at the hotel is super. It's about less than ten euros to the main la ramblas. And about 30 to the airport. And it's very close to the glories mall and the diagonal mars mall.
Hope it helps!

Room Tip: It's a pretty warm hotel so make sure your air conditioning works specially in summer.make a fus...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family