“Business week” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“Business week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed at ME recently on business and the first thing that struck me, possibly unfairly, was the smell. I don't know if they are sponsored by Glade but it was rather over whelming. Aside from that, I couldn't fault my stay. The staff was perfectly friendly and willing to assist, and many spoke very good English which helped as my Spanish is poor to put it nicely. I sampled some of the bar food, mainly the club sandwich and the potatas bravas. It was refreshing to see the hotel twist the presentation of the food and try to make it more personal to the hotel, in addition to it tasting lovely. A downside is the cost of drinks. If you are going for bottled beer, you would expect 4 Euros, but I wasn't expecting 10 Euros for a vodka and coke.

The room is also quirky, with a clear window between the bathroom and bedroom, and the shower sharing a door with the cupboard. The various lighting in the room was also superb, and the little things such as plug sockets on the bedside table made the practicality of the room much better than many I have stayed in. The bed as well was one of the most comfortable I have slept in.

We did have a preferential rate at the hotel but the taxes on top inflated the nightly cost somewhat (it went from 140 euros per night to 154), so it is quite expensive. It is close to the metro line, and it takes 15 minutes to get into Barcelona centre that way. Taxi costs around 15 euros, and luckily the taxi rank is right outside. It's also around 35 euros taxi from the airport.

The communial floors are very impressive too with an outdoor pool (NOT heated, don't make the mistake of jumping in during January!!) and lounge area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MEbarcelona, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Firstly thank you a lot for all the advantages and disadvantages that you have mentioned. We will help to improve. We are very glad that your stay was enjoyable and we hope to see you soon.

Regards
Aura Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Holland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at the ME Barcelona for 2 nights, last month. On arrival at the hotel, it was very busy at reception with several guests and also an airline crew waiting to be assisted and the male employee who checked us in was not warm or friendly at all! The other 2 or 3 different reception staff we spoke to on different occasions were not overly friendly either. The room was spacious and clean... but the furniture was chipped, tired looking and some of the toilet fixtures were stained. The lighting and curtain opening system was a bit of a challenge, not user friendly in my view.
During our 2 day stay there was an unpleasant smell in the corridors, mix of chemicals and sewage!

Room Tip: High floors have an amazing view of the Mediterranean!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MEbarcelona, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Holland75:

I'm so sorry to read that you had a bad experience during your recent visit. You can rest assure that i will follow up on your comments with our head departments but I would like to inform you that even if it was not your case our staff is always happy to assist our clients on anything thay may need and we have very nice reviews about them.
About the furniture, lighting and that you experienced, I would like to inform you that we are actually starting a process of renovation and I'm sure that for your next visit you will find a totally different and renovated room.
Regarding the bad smell, I would like to inform you that it is a problem that we have on the entire neighborhood but we've been announced that it will be solved soon.

Once again I would like to apologise for any inconveniences and please let our Aura team know the dates of your next visit to Barcelona so we can surprise you with a different and even better ME Barcelona Experience.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Nice rooms (sea facing room infinitely nicer then non which i upgraded from) that seem well maintaned - only negatives being the impersonal bathroom with see through opaque doors! May as well just have no door?

Cool decking and pool area although a bit small for the amount of guests - nice pool side snacks and free fruit.

The club/bar called Angels and Demons on the third floor wasn't open (no signs or information, to say why?) which is a shame. Spa and small gym facilities which are adequate size for the amount of people using them.

Not close to the hustle and bustle of Las Ramblas or Barrio Gotico but a short tube/metro ride away and about a 10/15 stroll to Marbella and Bogatel beach (which are much quieter/cleaner then the beaches closer to the city centre like Vila Olympica or Barceloneta).

I would highly recommend renting a bicycle or scooter to get around the centre and the grid style roads and cycle paths make everything extremely accessible so you can dip in and out of the busier areas without any hassle - rent bikes outside of the hotel as the ones the hotel offers and extortionate!

I would stay again if i saw it for a good price

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank THE-LP
Thanks for your feedback. We are pleased that you´ve had an enjoyable stay with us.
Thank you very much for sharing with us your ME Experience! Please contact the Aura Team for your next visit so we can surprise you with a new and even more special ME Experience!!

Best Regards,
AuraTeam
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and really enjoyed our experience. Staff was attentive, bed comfortable, shower powerful and ambience refreshing. If you like staying in design hotels, this may be the perfect place for you. Stunning views from the high floors of the hotel building.

It is not as centrally located as some other hotels but a short trip in a taxi will get you to the centre in no time. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer great views of Barcelona
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mon696
First of all I would like to thank you for having taken a few moments of your valuable time to express your satisfaction about the services of our Hotel During your recent stay with us. We are very happy you enjoyed That ME Barcelona .Thank you again for your words.

Best Regards
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed for a couple of nights and was pleasantly surprised by the great service that is not so easy to get in Barcelona (as I later understood when I moved to live there). Super friendly staff, nicely decorated rooms, great views and positive vibes.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your lovely review and for sharing it With us your experience.
Please contact us as soon as you know When are you coming back so we can prepare different and even better ME Barcelona Experience. You will love it! See you soon!

Best Regards,
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed t the hotel as part of a business conference in Barcelona. The hotel is apx 29 storeys tall - so some rooms have some fantastic views of the City or the ocean.
This is a hotel that you might love or hate! It's very "arty" with clever use of huge coloured plastics screens around the restaurant and bar areas. Once on the floor of your room, you may struggle to find it - as all the floors are decorated with stateless steel style cladding - which again, you may either love or hate.

I stayed in a room on the 13th floor with spectacular views of the building site next door, but if I ignored that, there's also a great view of the city. The room has very frustrating lighting and heating systems. There's an 8 button panel beside the bed that switches some of them off and on, but figuring out which is which is almost impossible - given the positioning next to the mattress! I'm in the IT industry and normally welcome this type of technology - but it is very frustrating when trying to turn lights on and off - and something else happens instead! It was all the more complicated because 3 lamps weren't working.

We had those fixed - but then the steel plate on the room door came loose and wouldn't shut. Friendly maintenance man fixed that - but not all of the lights.

The air conditioning is a different matter. 22c can be freezing, but 24c is like a sauna. Balancing the fan speed seemed to be the trick - but that's an art in itself too (given even more electronic switches)...

All that aside, the hotel is about 3km from the centre - and about 5 mins from the metro. There is a tram line outside which may be the best option for travelling.

Would I stay here again? No. I think I prefer a traditional hotel - where the air con works and I can easily operate the lights!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear MichaelB:

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm sorry that you didn't like our hotel and I would like to apologise forthe inconveniences that we may caused to you due to the A/C and the lighting in the room. It is true that we've been having some problems with the configuraton of the Light panel but I would like to inform you that it's been solved already.

Ww would like to change the bad image that you had from us, If you ever reconsider to come back to Barcelona and choose our hotel please let our Aura team know about it. We will personally take good care of you.

Hope to see you soon again.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here on business for one night and would make the following comments:
It's a very typical design hotel, with the same music and black/white/metallic colour combinations. There is an over powering smell in the common areas, like something is being disguised.
There are stunning views from the higher floors and the location is good. The rooftop pool would be fantastic in summer. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
However, they charge €15 per night for wifi and €4.50 for a small bottle of water in your bedroom. I expect a free bottle of water and free wifi in a hotel of this standard.
Also the breakfast buffet, while very good is €22, great if you have time for a long breakfast, but a lot of for a coffee and some toast.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MEbarcelona, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Wellfed24:

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm sorry to read that your experience with us was mostly positive but please come back during the summer time so you can enjoy our fantastic pool lounge and don't forget to contact our Experience Department so we can take good care of you and that way we assure that your next review will be 100% Positive.

Aura Experience Team