“Not bad”

Barcelona Urbany Hostel
Ranked #71 of 722 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
“Not bad”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

It's definitely not a bad hostel! It was clean, close to Sagrada Familia, which is what I most wanted to see in Spain. The staff were nice. It was a nice hostel, but not the nicest I've stayed in. There was nothing special or different about this hostel, just a safe clean place to crash.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

This was recommended to me by fellow travelers... I don't know what they were smoking because it was awful. I got there early and couldn't check in (which is fine) but I couldn't store my bags either so I wasted a day a way waiting. Staff were not knowledgable or helpful plus I was overcharged. I made the mistake on booking a 10bed mixed dorm, it was me a solo female with nine super drunk men on a bachelor party...
The majority of their guest seemed to be high school groups on school trips. However This place was close to la Sagrada familia, the metro and good restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014
Rome, Italy
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Myself and a friend came to stay here the first week of May 2014 for a long weekend we had off work, we have both stayed in several hostels before, so were prepared for the fact that hostels tend to be a bit less clean than hotels!

First of all we had to pay and extra €4 each for sheets and towels because we didnt want to sleep directly on the materess covers or with the duvet on us directly.....and thank god we did.

We awoke on the third morning of our five day stay to find bed bugs in both of our beds...needless to say we were appalled by this, took photos and headed straight to reception to complain and to cut our stay with the hostel short.

Upon arriving at the reception we were told that the manager was not in over the weekend, could not be contacted, and that they would not be able to refund what we had paid for the next two nights. We stuck to our guns and the receptionist (who to her credit, was as helpful as she could be) telephoned the manager infront of us and he refused to refund our money because he had offered us a different room as this was the normal procedure they follow "when this has happened before". We refused to stay in another room seeing as a) there was no guarantee of its cleanliness and b) this is clearly a reccuring problem if they have had so many previous incidents that they had to put a "procedure" in place.

Myself and my companion found it to be unacceptable that not only did they not compensate us, but they REFUSED to refund us our money for the two nights we would not be staying in the hostel, and the only thing that they offered us was the managers email address. I think we all know that our complaints will end up in the junk mail folder don't we?

So we had to find alternative accomadation and pay, again, for our last two days of what was supposed to be a relaxing holiday.

This was just the final straw for us seeing as we had already been happy to put up with the drunken students running in the halls, the fact that the smoking terrace closed at 11pm (even though the bar stayed open until later) which meant having to travel down to the ground floor and out into the street every time one of us wanted a cigarette (but we were not permitted to take our glasses of wine with us), the ridiculously sub par "breakfast" ( bread rolls and packages slices of ham and cheese)..... but an infestation of bed bugs??? That was certainly beyond what we were willing to put up with.

All in all our experience here was TERRIBLE with the hostel obviously cutting all corners in an attempt to make a quick buck. Once we left we stayed at the Catalunya Atenas 4* hotel, a bit further down the same street, for slightly more money than we paid for the hostel. With its roof top pool and sun terrace, wonderful service, cleanliness and helpful staff, I wish we had stayed there from the start!!!

5 Thank anniestar85
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Came here with my girlfriends during the puente. As we had booked hostels kind of late and it was a puente this was the only hostel left that fit our budget. When we arrived the the hostel, it was around 12:30. We had to wait an hour or so for our room to be ready. The front desk was pretty friendly at the begging told us we would get an intro to the place but it didnt happen.
The room itself has lockers that can be locked with the keycard that you get when you checkin after the 10 euro deposit.

We were given one of the "pink rooms" which has the hairdrying and the straightener. Bring your own sheets and towels or pay 2 euros for sheets and 2 euros for a towel separately. You have to bring yoru own toiletries (Soap included). We stayed on the 9th floor of the building and the side of the building we were on faced the main street (Avenguida Meridiana) and you could see the Torre Agbar which was beautiful. During our stay we were stuck between a huge class of middle school French children who were going up and down the elevators and running around the hallways. That was annoying. Breakfast was very normal. Bread and coffee and cereal. Be warned that the staff closes the cafeteria exactly at 10 oclock and weren't very nice about giving us bread after that time had passed. There are some cafeterias around the area which have breakfast ofertas so have a look around.

Avenguida Meridiana doesn't really have much going on on the street but its super close to Famlia Sagrada and just about a 10 minute taxi ride away from the beach. I've been in Barcelona a number of times and feel the location of this place isn't the best. I'd stay towards Eixample or Barceloneta.

There are lockers if you want the hostel to keep your things at the hostel while your out during your last day. Its around 3 euros for 6 hours for the large lockers.

West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Myself and a friend stayed here in an all-female room for 4 nights in May 2014. The beds were comfortable, there were two showers in the bathroom and a hairdryer and straighteners were provided which was very useful (so much better than some other hostels where you have to rent a hairdryer!). You can rent a towel and sheets for 2 euros each. There are lockers provided in the rooms which you lock and unlock with your keycard.

There is free wifi and a whole floor for having breakfast as well as food for if you don't want to go out for it. Breakfast was included and there was a good choice of cereal, bread and jams etc. There was a juice machine as well as a coffee machine. The staff on reception were helpful and speak English well.

The only negative things I have to say are that in order to get your 10 euro deposit back, you have to check out at 10:30am (in a lot of other hostels it's midday) and also one day I came back to the room to find a note on my bed from a girl saying the hostel had told her she had to sleep in the bed I'd been in despite there being two free beds in the room. I don't really understand why the hostel did this but it wasn't too much of an issue.

The hostel is not super-near to the centre of the city, but it's three minutes from Clot metro station which was ideal as in Barcelona you have to get the metro everywhere to avoid walking miles to get anywhere. The location also means that there isn't much noise from outside.

I would definitely recommend this hostel as it was nice and cheap (great for students and travellers on a budget) and would stay there again.

Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Excellent Customer Service, Friendly staff & good price, also I have to say that the views was lovely during the day and night. I liked the fact that the hostel is located in the center and near the metro so its easy to get everywhere. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't open the window in the room but everything also was great, I highly recommend the hostel. I must say that I had a really good time in the hostel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends