“Delicious food from a lovely family-run restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: El Born / La Ribera
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Delicious food from a lovely family-run restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

L'ou Com Balla is a fairly small restaurant on a narrow street near Jaume I metro station. The owner and staff are all members of the same family, and they're all really helpful and friendly. We ate there quite late, around 11pm, so there were only two other tables occupied, but as it's small the restaurant still felt busy with a great atmoshphere. They were playing great jazz music in the background which added to this. The place is lit dimly but warmly, so it's quite dark but very inviting.

The menu is big and very varied, with plenty of meat, fish and vegetarian choices. The prices are fairly high but still reasonable, say 15-20 Euro for a main dish. The chef tends to use odd ingredients together, the main one we noticed being chocolate! I really fancied the pasta with mushrooms and chocolate, but this had run out so I chose pasta with provolone cheese and caramelised onions instead. When it came out it looked like the tiniest portion ever, but it was absolutely delicious and if I'd had loads of the stuff it would've probably been quite sickly, so I filled up on the delicious bread instead.

My boyfriend chose a skewer of monkfish, baby mozzarella and strawberries with a white chocolate and ginger sauce. This sounds quite horrid but he said it was one of the best meals he'd ever had! I tasted the sauce and it was unusual but the flavours worked well together. We also had a bottle of 2006 Rioja which was pretty reasonable in price and delicious, if a tiny bit too cold.

So the food and drink was excellent, but what really made this place for us was the service. The waiter was so attentive and friendly, and we ended up talking to the owner's brother (that waiter's Dad) for about half an hour after our meal, who was an amazing guy. They really made an effort to welcome us to the place, and we'd definitely go back!

One thing - like many restaurants, they will automatically give you bread then you will be charged for it at the end, but at least they gave us a basket of the stuff rather than one tiny roll each for about 4 Euro as we experienced elsewhere! And it was good bread, mmmm.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank sinderin

Athens, Greece
“If you 're looking for romantic atmosphere, this is it...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2011

... though you will have to pay a bit extra for it. The place is magic, if you like cozy atmosphere, warm decor, jazz sounds... The food has potential, they have include some nice recipes in their menu, still they need that extra something to take them off, so from that aspect it might seem a bit expensive as an option.
Still, I don;t regret for my money, cause I loved the enviroment...

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank h0bg0blin
Va
“charming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

The food was unusual and delicious, the service personal (it was my birthday - our waiter put a candle in the dessert and brought us a complimentary dessert wine), and the atmosphere very special. It's best to get a reservation.

2 Thank Shelmurr
Cork City
“Great Food , relaxed atmosphere, interesting menu!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

It has been a couple of years since i have eaten here but i found the Business card recently and felt this place is well worth a visit. The Menu has a great combination of different dishes.
I had as a main Venison with chocolate sauce, great dish. We all tried each others dishes and each was as good as the next.
I would not recommend the Fuji apple and balsamic vinegar ice cream desert,acquired taste , but everything else was great

1 Thank rubym_8