“Great group activities and cheap meals!”

Mambo Tango Youth Hostel
Ranked #227 of 732 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in April with my boyfriend for 3 nights and we had a great time.
There are lockers in the rooms for bags and everything is very clean. The living room area had 2 computers, a kitchen and sofas which made it very cosy and feel like home!
Every night they cooked a lovely meal for 2 euros which is great value!!
The nights out were also very fun :D
The location is good however it took us a while to walk to places, but the metro is very cheap :D

• Stayed: April 2013
There are newer reviews for Mambo Tango Youth Hostel

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I highly recommend this hostel if you are travelling alown and looking to meet new people. I was a 22 year old female going on my first solo holiday. It is very easy to get from the airport to the hostel by bus and metro, and a great base for sightseeing. It's a short metro trip away from most of the main sights and attractions, and a 25 minute walk/ 5 minute taxi ride away from the beach.

Within 5 minutes of arriving I had started making friends in the cosy communal area and never really spent any time on my own as a result for the rest of my holiday! The hostel makes it easy to meet people by having a lovely comunal area and organising meals or drinks (a bucket of sangria for example- yikes!) for only 2 euros most evenings.

I wouldn't recommend this hostel if you need uniterrupted sleeps and lie-ins. However it is not a party hostel in my opinion, just a place for people to stay and hang out with cool people.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kat W
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I love this place. The staff is very welcoming, the rooms are clean, the shared bathrooms are kept spotless, and it's very easy to get to many sites either by walking or the metro and buses. Would definitely recommend staying here and will return next time I'm in Barcelona.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I got a great deal on this hostel, and it was close to near where my friends were staying. The hostel is down a mostly quiet side street. It is not well lit from the outside; you'll find it quite easily nonetheless. The staff were all very friendly to me. You must pay a 10 euro key deposit. I had originally booked the 9-bed dorm, but they upgraded me to a 4-bed dorm instead. The room had four nice sized lockers, but the locks were a little flimsy. If someone wanted to get into them without a key, it wouldn't take them long. My only complaint about the place was that the bathrooms were not well-labeled and not all the sinks had soap to wash your hands. I can easily walk to another sink to get soap, but I have seen others who are a bit lazy just skip the soap if it's not right in front of them. That leads to a bunch of nasty germs floating around in a small space.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We has booked Mambo Tango for four nights. We arrived in Barcelona after a trip from Madrid so were a bit weary. We showed up and after five minutes of the receptionist ruffling through papers, she told us we had no booking. I showed her the confirmation emails. She found her copy but noone had put it into their ledger.

At the beginning she passed the buck, stating that it wasn't her fault as she wasn't on shift when the booking came in. I told her this wasn't good enough. She rang her boyfriend (the manager of Sant Jordi Sagrada Familia) and eventually they sorted it out that we'd stay there instead. Whilst this was not the ideal solution, we were tired and the thought of carrying our bags around looking for somewhere else to stay did not appeal.

This other hostel was not what we wanted - it was far away from the main attractions an was a typical 'Contiki' tour hostel. The rooms were minuscule and the bed was made of rubber. The room heated up at night and felt like a sauna. To its credit it had good facilities for younger backpackers.

As we didn't get what we booked, we can only give this hostel a bad review.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Really helpful staff and great location, however very noisy from people standing outside the building all night and music playing very early in the morning. Would recommend for young party people but not for couples.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My friend and I booked 5 nights in this hostel about a week ago. They were welcoming and helpful from the second we arrived (at 4am after a delayed flight). The staff was always willing to go out of their way to help in any way they could; they told us where to find the best tapas for 1 euro, called places to make sure they were opened, printed out maps, cooked dinner, made sangria, and lead a pub crawl every night. The kids that stayed where chill and easy to get along with. Most rooms have AC and the common area has computers with free wifi, a tv, couches and tables. A lot of young people staying at the hostel hang out in the common and lobby areas and socialize- it's a great way to meet other young travelers. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. It is in a great location- right near Ramblas for shopping and partying, about a 15 minute walk to the beach, and located literally at the base of Montjuic (where you can take a beautiful hike to the castle and experience an amazing view of the entire city). The rooms are booked consistently, so I would definitely recommend reserving a bed ahead of time (it's not a very big place).

Room Tip: The room on the highest floor does not have AC so request a room with one if you travel during the s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends