“Good food in a relaxed setting”

Montalban - Casa Jose
Ranked #1,198 of 9,689 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Montjuic
Espoo, Finland
“Good food in a relaxed setting”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I joined my business colleague and friend here without knowing the place. My taxi driver said there's not a restaurant at this address or it can't be very good, because he knows the good ones in Barcelona.

Well, fortunately he was wrong. We had some quite good fish and seafood.

For starters we ordered fried calamaris and grilled shrimps, with clearly lots of olive oil and garlic. They were very tasty and fresh.
Usually I don't like calamaris, because they tend to be like rubber and tasteless. These were better, although not the best ones I've had.

For main course we had two types of some fresh white fsh. These were excellent! Nicely seasoned, obviously very fresh fish. There weren't condiments pretty much at all, but I didn't even miss them.

Ordering was a bit hassle, because they don't speak English. I had to show my red smartphone to get red wine. Luckily, one of us spoke English, so the dinner went quite nicely.

Someone wrote they wouldn't have their menu in English, but yesterday this had changed. There actually was a menu in English, even though the list on the wall is in Spanish only.

I will definitely go back the next time in Barcelona.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Tero Lehto

Barcelona, Spain
“So fresh it's still jumping”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Glorious seafood and fish in a tiny, far from glam, spot in Poble Sec. Book as far in advance as you can manage for a weekend night. Expensive but exquisite.

• Visited February 2012
St Albans
“Amazing”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had this restaurant recommended to us by a French friend, who also mentioned it was small and very popular. Upon arriving in Barcelona we asked the hotel concierge to book us a table at 9pm, when it opened. The place itself is rustic and simple, but has a great atmosphere, they also don't speak English. This lead to an evening of hilarity as language barriers were overcome with various fish brought to the table for our inspection. The hostess was ace and so so friendly and welcoming she really helped us out and we had a great time. The food is amazing! Truly sublime. The prawns cooked using hot salt are incredible, you have to try them!

• Visited September 2011