“Best and freshest tapas in BCN centre when you're on the go”

El Quim de la Boqueria
Ranked #151 of 9,704 Restaurants in Barcelona
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: El Raval
Switzerland
“Best and freshest tapas in BCN centre when you're on the go”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Because I really enjoyed the La Boqueria market that much, I went back again for the second time in 2 days. I walked the length and breadth of the market and stumbled upon this lovely tapas bar - El Quim. It's a small one and there were just over 12 stools and were all taken except but one. The food looked so fresh and good; I could feel a strong pull so I took the last seat. Like a little girl, I was so excited watching the live cooking. My eyes rolled at every guests' plate to see what they have ordered. I was almost drooling and started ordering one by one too. They served the most relishing fresh seafood tapas. Although alone, I ordered a lot of food. I had the battered fried baby squids, calamaris and some fried fresh sardines. I can still taste them as I write this. I also ordered grilled baby asparagus and Spanish green peppers. The couple sitting next to me would look at the food I ordered and asked for the same. I guess that's how it goes there. You order what others have :-). I so enjoyed that lunch. It was a Saturday and so the next day, I wanted to take my family there who were out visiting other sights the day I was at the market. Unfortunately, the market is closed on Sundays. However, on that Monday morning, the day we were to leave Barcelona, I managed to run there and had the fried baby squids again :-). This, during breakfast hour!! I still think of the food every now and then. When I am in Barcelona again, it is guaranteed that I will return to this place. Highly recommended. For me, the price was also reasonable given the quality of food. You have to go real early or real late to avoid the mad lunch rush.

• Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taiwan
“Great but need patient!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had late lunch at El Quim de la Boqueria. Its the best meal that we had in Bacelona within two days. Sea food are fresh, well cook , very delicious! Nice atmosphere where you can talk with new friend from different country by side you.
But need to be patient to get a sit, coz too many people waiting there. also the market are very crowded. The tip is opening your eye and whatch who is almost finish his dish and just stand behind him....
We will go el Quim again for sure

• Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Breakfast in Barcelona!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

First time visitors in Barcelona we wanted to mingle with locals so we headed to La Boqueria where we heard breakfast was wonderful. At first it was overwhelming...so large and like a huge maze of stalls, fruits, vegetables, butchers, pastries, candies, spices, fresh fish...you are overcome with sights, smells and sounds. We read that we needed to go to the back area of the market to find the food vendors. At first it was confusing...nothing looked like a restaurant. What we found were stalls that were surrounded by a counter at which people were sitting and eating everything from eggs, pastries, fish plates, sandwiches. We watched some people eating at El Quim de la Boqueria and they were smacking their lips so loudly we decided to try it. The food was so amazing that we went back the next day. What we ended up eating was a breakfast sandwich called the Boca Quim. It had pork, asparagus, onion confit and a fried egg on a wonderful bun. We also had an Iberian ham omelet. And if the dishes were delicious, the coffee was amazing.

• Visited April 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
“brilliant live-cooking”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

if you fancy a decent seafood brunch, down to earth atmosphere, and the joy of watching a live cooking session, then el quim is a must for you in barcelona. face in mercat de san antoni, it's located on the top left block. and don't worry if you can't find it, most local people at the market are willing to help you. que up, it's a first come first serve basis. we were fortunate we didn't have to.

finding a good place for breakfast or brunch in spain isn't easy, and el quim stands out exceptionally. they've got an english menu, the staffs are also willing to help you. as they're located in the market, most of the ingredients are very fresh. i also noticed they use some specialies like duck eggs rather than normal hen eggs. we ordered steamed mussels, stir-fried baby squids, grilled razor clams and the assorted seafood platters. it's a bit difficult to pinpoint which plate was the best and i would say the clams won. coupled with a pint of san-miguel draught which tastes so much better in spain, it was sublime. we enjoyed all the food there, in short. it will definittely lighten up the rest of your day.

• Visited May 2013
“Superb tapas right in the middle of the market place”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We've had a great lunch in this (very!!) busy tapas place. Everything was fresh and wonderfully cooked. The staff were nice friendly and helpful despite the nonstop work. Whenever someone got up someone else sat down. It was unbelievable the rate at which people came and went. Even though they're very efficient be prepared to wait if you come during rush hours (typical lunch or dinner hours are extremely busy). Well worth the wait with a glass of nice cava or beer. Will definitely go back.

Visited May 2013