“constantly spectacular”

ABaC Restaurant
Ranked #268 of 9,690 Restaurants in Barcelona
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In 2000 ABaC Restaurant opened its doors in his first location, Carrer del Rec 79 in Barcelona. In May 2008 changed to his new address in Avenida Tibidabo, 1. The gastronomy is the fundamental axis of the project. The restaurant awarded with 2** Michelin, and nominated by The Best Restaurant 2011 in Catalonia by the Catalan Academy of Gastronomy, can seat up to 56 diners. Located in the newly constructed pavilion in direct contact with the garden, the interior and the exterior are found through large windows. It is a caprice of whites, in all tones. In a calm, neutral and elegant atmosphere, the sense of sophistication is shaped by the small details and the materials used, as well as a sophisticated combination of lights. The kitchen of 200 m2 has been designed by Joaquim Casademont. It is a black container, in which stainless steel furniture takes all leadership, an effect that has been reinforced by the lighting, a route marked by leds serves as a guide and allows the guests to cross it. Rooms for private events with a capacity of 20 to 60 diners respectively, complete its restoration facilities. The "Lounge Bar", which opens until 2.00 p.m. and where the music, light and color of the room subtly change;There is also an extensive cellar, offering near 1000 references, and from which you can select your perfect wine. Chef Jordi Cruz and his team of young professionals develop a creative cusine of superb technique, based on the product and which meets both creativity and tradition. In addition, our attentive yet friendly service create a professional but relaxed atmosphere, which makes ABaC holder of 2** Michelin.
Barcelona, Spain
“constantly spectacular”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This magnificent restaurant is at the very pinnacle of catalan gastronomy. Chef Jordi Cruz is a young master fusing traditional and modernist flavours, and the restaurant itself is 3 michellin star worthy. The staff as its chef is young, educated and professional. The establishment is maintained impeccably clean. I try to frequent this restaurant at least once every 3 to 4 weeks.
The tasting menus are always the best way to actually get a feel for this extraordinary kitchen. My favourites are the steak tartar, the paletilla which is the best I have ever tried, and the crown jewel, liebre a la royale. These are the dishes that I order once and again and they always manage to bring a smile to face. The Wine list is correct and has nice depth. Among my top 3.

• Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
“Where The Past Resides Kindly with the Future”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

At ABaC Restaurant and Hotel you are transported to the past even as you catch a glimpse of the future. The level of care given upon checking in, having dinner or just ordering breakfast harkens to a gilded age, one unseen in the fast-paced, hurly-burly world we call the 21st century. All the while state-of-the-art, green-wise technological touches embellish this jewel that crowns the city of Barcelona just at the base of Mount Tibidado.

Dinner at the Michelin-starred establishment is an experience not to be missed. There chef turns tried and true traditions upside down and inside out in clever, often amusing ways. Take the deconstructed tapas and the "lipstick" palate cleanser. The baby goat was amazing!

On the slightly disappointing side the sleeping rooms and coed spa are beautiful but a bit overwrought with technological treats. Nothing wrong with having such things. It's just a let down when the complementary espresso machine in your room doesn't work and the steam room doesn't steam.

ABaC is, nevertheless, an extraordinary place to experience.

• Visited January 2013
Marbella
“Superb.”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Barcelona is an amazing city for "foodies",with a huge range of eating experiences. We chose Abac for its reputation and Michelin 2 star status. The food,from the tasting menu was superb..some of the most memorable dishes were the sea-urchin curry, smoked steak tartar and parmesan gnocchi with black truffle.A professional team of staff complemented the evening..highly recommendable..and probably one of my favourite BCN restaurants.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank DeliciousMarbella
Los Angeles, California
“1 of my all time top 5 favorite meals, EVER.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The ABaC is classy, elegant, and sophisticated. From the moment you step through their doors, you feel glamorous. The design is a light palette of creams and whites, with Versace dishes to liven things up a bit. Wonderful light fixtures too.
OK, so now onto the food.. All I can say is Oh My God, amazing! We had some sort of Chefs tasting menu, I can't remember how many courses, but wow! Each dish, made with perfection, skill, and technique, care and love. Each presentation new from the last, and wait until desert! Order the rum cake or something like that, the dish they use liquid nitrogen with hot rum.. The presentation is a spectacle!
We stayed at the Ohla Hotel this last trip, but plan on staying at the ABaC Hotel on our next visit. I do recommend the Ohla hotel for those wondering too. See my review on them.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Jeremiah C
Barcelona, Spain
“Good, but not worth it”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was really unsatisfied about this meal to tell the truth. The food is good and the space was quite beautiful, however the service was horrible and I was baffled by how they could have 2 Michelin stars. I was really looking forward to this reservation as I have eaten in many of Barcelona's top restaurants and this was high on my list to try.

The food was good, not great. We ordered the Grand Abac tasting menu and I believe only a few of the dishes were standout.

My biggest problem was by the treatment of one of the diners in my group who has a gluten allergy. We were very clear from the beginning that one person in my party could not be served anything with gluten in it. It was said in the reservation request, repeated upon reconfirmation of the reservation, we told the Maitre d' upon entering the restaurant, and finally once more to the waiter.

Within my group we speak English, Spanish and Catalan, so there was not a language barrier here. They really dropped the ball on this. My gluten free friend WAS brought out gluten free bread..a good start, but this was the only thing they did right for her. Then she was brought a dish with wheat flour noodles, and another dish that was slightly altered for her, but still garnished with a bread based product. We could not believe it. We had already mentioned to the waiter after the noodles that they really can not bring her wheat based anything. No apology, he just removed the plate and brought a replacement, but by the time it came out she had to eat it alone as we had finished our dishes . For the gluten garnished dish, again, we had to ask what it was made of because she thought it looked like wheat and we were not certain. He said that my friend should just eat around it. Unbelievable....

Maybe it was just a bad experience, but I would never go back there and with so many amazing restaurants of this caliber (which are less expensive as they only have 1 star). It just wasn't worth it.

Visited August 2012