“Location”
Review of Hostal Europa

Hostal Europa
Ranked #324 of 740 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The location is great, just a few steps from Rambla and Boqeria Market/ Liceu Metro Station. I had the room inside the building so no noise was heard. But the rooms are poor - very simple, basic stuff, there is a sink in the room but the bathrooms outside. The price makes it reasonable to stay there. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I did not like the hotel. The room I rented was tiny. Toilet and shower were outside the room.In the romm there was just a sink. There was no air circulation so I felt suffocating in the room, but I was afraid to turn on air-conditioning. A room window was tiny and the air does not come through it into the room. On the window hangs a dirty-dirty curtain. Lighting was terrible. I want to mention glass tumblers in the room. For me it was very difficult to get my bearings in the hostel premises, because to get to my room, it was necessary first to go to the elevator, and then to climb a bit on foot and walk down a long corridor. The only advantage of the hostel is its price, but, nevertheless, I think it is better to pay extra and stay in another place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Azad690
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Excellent location in the city center close to Ramblas boulevard and cheap price were the main pros that lured me into this place. Actually it`s a very basic accommodation. But I was aware of by other travelers reports so was not surprised. I had a simple twin room with bathroom outside. The room was equipped with wash sink. Bed linen and towels were provided. The room itself was rather dark and stuffy. The only small window was up close to the ceiling and served only for ventilation. Breakfast could be ordered at the reception and served at the bar opposite to the hostel. It cost 4 euro and consisted of toast, juice and coffee. Hostel has a 24 h reception. The staff was friendly and helpful to me. On the last day they stored my luggage after checkout free of charge.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aleksandr550
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My friend and I spent one night in Hostal Europa. Well, it wasnt the best choice of my life but it was ok for one night. What i really appreciated was the location, walking distance from many sightseeing spots, La Rambla, La Boqueria and the Liceu subway station. I also loved the fact that our room had a little balcony and it was definitely a good thing because the room was teeny-tiny. We loved Chris at the reception. He was smiley and tried to answer all of our questions ( we had alot...:) ) the guy at night shift spoke an excellent english which is rare in Spain in general as i noticed. The free wi-fi was also appreciated. We could also use it in the room although they told us it only worked down at the lobby.
But....weird linen (looked clean but had a weird old smell), terrible bathroom with broken doors. We showered at night and had no hot water so shivering in cold water with broken doors wasnt fun at all. As it was a common toilet everybody was using it, obviously people peed on the floor because it smelled and looked nasty. If u dont have hand sanitizer and ur own toilet paper or at least ur own tissues dont think about sittin on or not even squat over the toilet because its clearly disgusting.

Breakfast was offered on the website but on spot they told us its not available anymore. It was pretty disappointing because Barcelona on a monday morning is completely dead with nothing opened...we were lucky to find a corner store that sold sandwiches so we didnt have to starve on our way to the airport.

Anyways...if ur used to the "hostel quality" go ahead, its fine and cheap for one night but if u never stayed in hostels before (like yours truly), run away and sacrifice the money on a good hotel room.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank F_Katt
Reviewed March 10, 2012

this hostel is very cheap, in a great position near Ramblas and Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria, and consierge is a kind guy, but the toilet in the room is horrible!! the wc is in front of a wall, less than 10 cm away from it, so I didn't know where to put my legs (and I'm not Yao Ming, but 1.78mt tall)!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank satboy78
Reviewed October 10, 2011

If you're looking for a friendly staff or a smile when you walk through the door, this is definitely not the place to stay. Not only were the desk clerks snide and at times down-right rude, but they were also extremely unhelpful in terms of accommodating changing situations. Originally I had reserved a single room for one person. When my boyfriend and I asked if we could pay 15 euros extra to have a second person in the room (their policy says pay 15 euros for an extra BED in the room.. we didn't even need the extra bed), they were incredibly unwilling and downright patronizing. They ended up making us pay for a single room AND a double room (which doesn't even make sense) and treated us like we were dirt off the street. I've never felt so disrespected as a customer in terms of the tone in which I was spoken to and the unwillingness to accommodate. Furthermore, there is nothing on their website or in your reservation packet that indicates that no visitors are allowed at any time during your stay, which happened to be pretty inconvenient. I'm usually a traveller who doesn't care much about customer service as long as I can get a good deal on a place in a good location, but this stay has certainly made me change my thinking on that. Also, the beds were super uncomfortable and the rooms extremely hot.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CurlyQ106
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I had to book a last-minute hotel in Barcelona, and this was the only place I could find in the area we needed to go. I normally stay right on Las Ramblas, so I'm not put off by the thought of a little noise.
This hostel is a little way down a small side street right off the Rambla, very close to La Boqueria market. The location was almost perfect (truly perfect being on the main street).
First impressions were as you'd expect from a hostel; quite tired-looking, but good enough for somewhere to rest your head at the end of a busy day. The room smelt and appeared clean (despite damp patches on the ceiling) and the bed was comfortable. We had managed to get a room with en-suite facilities which was a bonus.
The floor was interesting - lino laid over the most uneven floor I've ever walked on. It made you feel drunk even before you'd been out on the tiles! Still, I'm happy with that kind of thing for the price we paid. We'll call it "character".
There was a tiny TV in the room, but it had no buttons on it; I assume that you had to ask reception for a remote control - we weren't interested in watching it, though, so didn't bother to find out.
The real problem we had with the room was the amount of noise! After the first night (we were there for two), we realised that the windows didn't actually fit properly, so every noise from outside was as if the people were actually in the room with you. We're not early-to-bed types but the noise continues all through the night, straight through with no let-up - absolutely fine if it's the other side of a double-glazed unit, but not when there's nothing between you and it.
Also, the people coming and going around the hostel itself were incredibly loud; slamming doors and talking loudly in the corridors at all hours. The heavy sleeper that I normally am, I managed to get a total of about three hours' sleep each night. That doesn't leave me in my happy place in the morning.
Still, as a bonus, the shower was guaranteed to wake you up. Because it was freezing cold. Not even a slight change in temperature between full-on cold and full-on hot. Even with 30C temperatures outside, that still leaves you feeling rather chilly.
So, all in all, I had to book this place because it was the only available bed for the night and the price was a bonus (£60/night for that location is as good as you can ask I guess). I'm not sure that "you get what you pay for" should extend to freezing cold showers and sleepless nights.
Next time, if I found that there were no rooms left for the dates I needed at one of the hotels I normally use in the area, I'll definitely go farther afield rather than stay here again.
I need my sleep and hot showers!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family