“Beyond terrible ”
Review of Chardonnay - CLOSED

Chardonnay
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Description: Chardonnay restaurant near Barcelona’s central Post Office in the Gothic Quarter offers tip-top tapas at budget-friendly prices. Once it opens at midday, service never stops, making it an ideal place to snack, dine or simply nibble on something Spanish at any time, non-conventional hours included. On the menu you’ll find the typical spanish tapas, Prawns in garlic, Eggplant rolls with goat cheese, Fried potatoes with sausage paprika sauce..., Salads, pasta, fresh fish, grilled meats, in chardonnay you can test six diferent paellas, with sea food, with octupos, with meat..., and good spanish wine.It is a pleasure serve you, we are waiting to serve you in the best conditions. Chardonnay also stands out for its spaciousness, cosiness, and minimalist décor. "
Reviewed August 26, 2016 via mobile

Nice enough staff, but this is not food. Every dish was absolutely dreadful - really really really really terrible. Avoid.

Reviewed February 27, 2016 via mobile

Good food and service.
There was a an offer for seafood paella and sangria which turned out to be very good.
The staff was nice and they have free wifi.

Reviewed December 7, 2015

This place has changed its name within the last few months; so recently that the new name didn't appear on TripAdvisor. It was previously called Chardonnay, under which it can still be found. I know it's the same restaurant as they both have the same address and even the same telephone number and a quick look back at a 2014 Google Streetview confirms that Tapes Barcelona has replaced Chardonnay. Chardonnay, incidentally, is still taking bookings for Xmas on its website which implies the management of both restaurants are the same.

We booked a table for five people as the place looked rather nice and had a good menu showing outside.

On arrival, all was not well when the waiter appeared at the table with two bottles of wine he was "pushing". Needless to say they were nearly the most expensive on the menu. Now, we are not a group of stupid tourists that will immediately accept the "recommended" wines. Clearly, they are recommended because they are either expensive or the restaurant otherwise wants to get rid of them.

The waiter took our orders. He appeared to speak good English and he wrote down what we ordered, which was five tapas for starters, then two lots of veal, one monkfish, one grilled salmon and one sirloin steak. We also ordered one large bottle of still water only to be told they didn't do large bottles so we would have to have two small bottles instead. Obviously, a better means of enhancing profit. Our ordered wine was delivered together with two bottles of sparkling water - not still.

After a moderate wait, three of our five tapas arrived together with a plate of bread smeared with tomato. The three tapas that arrived were very good, especially the chick peas. By the time we'd finished them all there was still no sign of the other two. Eventually a plate of spring rolls was put on the table. We hadn't ordered that so it was taken away but only after we managed to persuade the waiter that we really hadn't ordered it. Soon after, the fourth of our five tapas arrived. We ate it and waited and waited for the outstanding item before complaining. Eventually our fifth tapa arrived and it, too, was very nice. The plates were taken away but minus our dirty cutlery which was carefully placed back on the table in front of each of us. Then, a few minutes later, each dirty piece of cutlery was swapped for a clean one. Bizarre. Why couldn't they have taken them with the plates?

Our main courses were delivered immediately the plates for the first course were removed which looks like they were sitting and waiting to be delivered. The party member who ordered grilled salmon was served with the right meal but with far too many broad beans. The two party members that ordered the veal were served what looked very much like 16oz T-bone steaks with French fries and broad beans. They were certain the dishes were not veal but eventually conceded. Their potatoes and vegetables were not as described on the menu. For example, where the menu said the dish came with truffle potatoes, it was served with French fries. The party member who ordered monkfish was given a plate of sea bass and I was given what turned out to be the monkfish. When we all complained there was a bout of "musical plates". When it stopped, I had the sea bass in front of me. I explained that I'd ordered the sirloin steak so the sea bass was reluctantly taken away.

Whilst everyone started on their meals, I had nothing at all. Five minutes later, the waitress, who spoke almost no English brought me the menu and asked me to confirm what I'd ordered. I pointed to the sirloin steak. She explained it was "like meat". I had hoped it was meat.

Ten minutes later, by which time the two fish eating members of the group had finished, and the two with the veal were almost finished, three bowls of mushroom sauce were brought to the table. Two were for the veal eaters who had nearly finished and one was for me, who was still waiting. It should be pointed out here that the menu made no mention of mushroom sauce on either the veal or sirloin steak.

Eventually, my sirloin steak arrived. According to the menu, it came with truffle potatoes. So, did I get French fries like the others whose dishes were supposed to come with truffle potatoes? No. Mine was served with patatas bravas and green chillies. The steak was so seriously undercooked that blood was flowing round my plate. I realised that they had never asked me how I'd like it done. That's because they simply didn't care. We asked why the menu said the meals came with truffle potatoes when they didn't. The waiter told us French fries in Catalan had mistakenly been translated to truffle potatoes on the English menu. Surely French fries are French fries anywhere you go?

Never in 15 years of dining with the same group had I ever seen so much of the meals left uneaten. Apart from two, three of them were left largely uneaten.

On what we had experienced so far we decided we weren't going to have any more so we asked for the bill. It came, showing the spring rolls that we we hadn't ordered and which were taken away.

We also told the waiter (as the manager refused to speak to us) that we were not happy paying the full amount of the bill because the service and food were dreadful. He refused point blank to take off even one cent from the bill despite us telling him exactly what we felt. Clearly this place has no interest whatsoever in its customers as it knows most are tourists and won't be coming back again anyway. So, we added not one cent to the bill for service and paid the exact amount of the bill, to the last cent, including some copper coins.

On our way out, the waiter said "Sorry"! You bet he was.

If you read this you'll know better than to go here. It was worse than Fawlty Towers. Don't believe me? Then read the reviews for Chardonnay (if they are still there) and you'll see we weren't alone in our views. I wish we had read them before venturing into this place.

Reviewed September 5, 2015 via mobile

We walked in without considering a trip advisor!!! indeed there are better options! Had monkfish, my friends risotto, veal and paella. Fair food, but tastes like warmed up plates, bad shrimps... The paella was ok, fish was fresh, but arrived when everybody finished their plate. All the credit goes to the waitress very nice and friendly service

Reviewed July 14, 2015

We went in for at late night tapas snack. The palce has nice looking tapas on bread/toast on the bar. We ordered two different, some ham and 3 glasses of sangria. 20 minutes of waiting and finally we got our small order. Sangria and ham was OK but nothing special. The two selections from the bar were terrible. Bread was all soaked and moshy. Not nice at all. There are lots of other options on far from this place that is much better.