“Good effort, mixed results.”
Review of Chardonnay - CLOSED

Chardonnay
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Description: Chardonnay restaurant near Barcelona’s central Post Office in the Gothic Quarter offers tip-top tapas at budget-friendly prices. Once it opens at midday, service never stops, making it an ideal place to snack, dine or simply nibble on something Spanish at any time, non-conventional hours included. On the menu you’ll find the typical spanish tapas, Prawns in garlic, Eggplant rolls with goat cheese, Fried potatoes with sausage paprika sauce..., Salads, pasta, fresh fish, grilled meats, in chardonnay you can test six diferent paellas, with sea food, with octupos, with meat..., and good spanish wine.It is a pleasure serve you, we are waiting to serve you in the best conditions. Chardonnay also stands out for its spaciousness, cosiness, and minimalist décor. "
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our server was a charming young lady who had too many tables, and who struggled with the language barrier. We asked for bread and sliced tomatoes, and received the Catalan specialty of bread topped with a tomato spread. Of the tapas, the shaved artichocke and the mushrooms were faves. Octopus and cuttlefish paella was good but could have been better. The pasta with tomato sauce ordered by a more timid member of our party came with a thin coating of a creamy tomato sauce--how does one mess up something so simple? The chicken with cheese sauce was fine but nothing special. Service was slow. Our server was very professional and was as attentive as she could be, but she was just overworked. It took so long to be served that the manager offered us complimentary desserts. We declined the offer but appreciated the gesture. They need to smooth the rough edges of what could be an excellent establishment.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked a table for 12 for 8pm. Although only 6 had arrived by 8.30, the staff were very accommodating, serving an excellent set of tapas dishes. By 9.00 there were 16 of us and the staff uncomplainingly added an extra table. I enjoyed a good paella as my main course and my colleagues had other traditional Spanish meat, fish and vegetarian dishes. Service was good and friendly throughout the evening and the restaurant has a good buzz about it

Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

I had a very good experience here. The staff were friendly and the food was very good. It is very reasonable and the service was excellent

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I had the mushroom salad with prawns and chardonnay dressing. It was wrapped in (purple leaves) and had arugula in it as well. Way too bitter. And I only got 3 medium sized prawn. The mushrooms tastes like they were from a can.

I also ordered the roasted duck tapas. Again, very nicely presented, but very lacking on actual taste. It was so fatty I couldn't even cut it much less chew it. It came with some plantains that were even less chewable. And the twisted crispy thingies were really stale.

My waiter was slightly on the slow side but friendly. It would have been reasonably price if it were actually good, but unfortunately, it was too far off for me to give it a good rating.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stumbled in to this restaurant with some tired kids - it is trying quite hard but not quite hitting the mark. There must be better restaurants a bit deeper into el born. The staff were friendly and we were able to take away some left overs for my son when he fell asleep. The A/C was a bit poor in certain areas of the restaurant which made for a slightly hot supper.