“Not that bad”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Raval
Reviewed June 5, 2012

After reading some reviews I was very excited trying the food as not many reviews were that good. I felt like eating something German and there are not many options in Barcelona, except from cooking myself.
The first time I went there, I had the Gulasch, which I must say, was very nice. It was a good portion, the meat was very good. Only downside was that they put rice and mashed potatoes on the plate. One option would have been enough and I would have preferred only mashed potatoes. But apart from that, I would eat it definitely again. My friend had the Kasselerbraten and I'd expected it to be very different. That was not how I know it. We asked the waiter (maybe he made a mistake) but he confirmed that it was what we ordered. Well... We do it different normally. We also had the potato salad, which was good, but not the best I've had. I'd say the ones in the tapas places are better... Anyway.
The second time we went there, we ordered the Eisbein to share. It was ok. In my opinion the portion should have been a bit bigger. They only put like 3 half little potatoes on there, the Eisbein and the rest was Sauerkraut. The food wasn't really warm when it came out. A bit cold really...
The waiters are not the friendliest ones. I know this job is hard, but it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more polite. The atmosphere is ok, it looks very traditional and very basic.

All in all I would say, I'd go there again. You can't compare it with the food in Germany and if you are used to really good food from Germany, this place will disappoint you. But it's a good alternative. And I haven't been home in a while so it'll do every now and then. But I still prefer cooking for myself :-)

There are newer reviews for Alt Heidelberg

Reviewed March 2, 2012

OK...the service is quick. the food was OK. Nothing spectacular...but wasn't bad either. However, their beer selection was disappointing given the German theme in this one.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

The beer was good. However, one of our dishes involving chicken had obviously been cooked a day or two earlier and reheated in the microwave. Blech. The other dish was good.

1  Thank Traveller2984
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have no idea what we ended up in this place. It was late, we were tired, we'd just arrived. It was far and away the worst meal we had in Barcelona. I should have known by the bread (heat yourself, part-baked) and should have retreated when the calamares arrived (gargantuan with soggy batter). The coup de grace was the €15 plate of ham. It wasn't that great but it serves us right for not asking.

Avoid.

1  Thank charlie35slr
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I really don't understand some of the more positive reviews of this place. One of those places there forever and a day and kind of stuck the way it was 30 years ago. I guess if you have never had any German food of any kind, it might be ok. But bland, uninspired. My friend got the wrong thing, the water didn't care. The goulash soup was awful, fries were greasy. The waters also seem like they have been there 30 years and don't care. Take a stroll past the bar and look at the foods just sitting out, for hours, not very appetizing. Want a better choice? Go to one of the Viena fast food restaurants and get the bratwurst sandwich. Much better. Old Heidelberg will continue to be a fixture in Barcelona because it is one of the few German restaurants in Barcelona and has been here a long time. My suggestion is to have a good before-dinner beer here and move along. I found everything mediocre at best.