“friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Xaica Restaurant

Xaica Restaurant
Ranked #4,963 of 9,400 Restaurants in Barcelona
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: El Raval
Castellar del Valles, Spain
“friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Been here three times over a few years, the food has always been good and the staff helpful and friendly, it has always seemed busy which is a good sign. Its quite compact inside and only one toilet for many people.

• Visited May 2013

Brooklyn NY
“Depends on the time of day???”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by a friend in the area. He advised to go in the evening and to have the paella and sangria. We dined there twice.

Located on a side street near la Rambla this small eatery does not offer much for the eyes. Decor looks like grandmas living room back in the 80's. Perhaps this place serve 30 at most so be mindful about going with a large group. For mom and me it was cozy.

First time around we ordered from the menu of the day along with paella and a pitcher of sangria. I had the skirt steak which was yummy and cooked well. I enjoyed it with the salad (basic) and the seafood paella (very good) and dessert which was also included. The sangria was also solid. Mom and I were full and content with it and agreed to return because the price was just right at about 40euros for both.

Second time we went a bit earlier in the evening since we had a show to go to. It seemed as if they had just opened. This time around I didn’t close my eyes in delight as a chewed my food. Our bread was stale, the paella was very mushy and my shrimp entree from the menu of the day was over cooked. The sangria was still solid. Perhaps we had a different cook this time around which was busy prepping for the evening to cook our orders to perfection. I didn’t complain... mom was still happy and content...

So we had a hit and a miss. Would I return? Yes, but definitely later in the evening like my friend suggested since I believe that matters. Although I prefer to go to a location with nicer décor.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Abraham V
Vestal New York
“Local bar - very reasonable prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Bar area very busy - very casual bar, don't expect fancy atmosphere, multiple TVs with Barcelona playing Inter-Milan when we were there. Paella was much better than at a "fancy" restaurant we ate at the previous day, and at a much lower price; it is available as main course or as appetiser. Flan desert and fresh strawberry desert were also very good. 50 Euros for four of us including multiple drinks each. Excellent service, and we closed the bar, and the drink portions were very generous. Don't expect much atmosphere, and you will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank stangina
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Friendly service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our waitress was very friendly but the food was just average. Wasn't that impressed. Went to l'oliva just down the same road the following night and that was miles better and cheaper.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Carol W
Barcelona
“Homemade and decent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

The first time I went to Xaica was 35 years ago - they´ve been open for 50. I go there quite often. Don´t expect a luxurious place, it is not. But you can eat typical food at a decent price - something difficult to find in BCN, especially in that touristic area. It is a place that lots of locals eat during the week. They have a menu of tapas, costing today 14 € that is great and complete. Today I had melon with cured ham that was divine. Second course, fish. Dessert, drinks, coffee included for 12,95 € ( on Saturdays ). The waiter is really nice too.

• Visited February 2013