“Serious design flaws”

Eurostars BCN Design
Ranked #350 of 520 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Let me start by saying that this is not a 5-Star hotel. The only thing 5 star about this place is the location, which is in the heart of Passeo de Gracia. The lobby is poorly situated a floor above the entrance directly in front of the elevators which leaves very little space for multiple guests to wait at the same time. I will say that the hotel was very clean and the bed was comfortable. We had called ahead to ensure that 1 of our 2 rooms had double beds, which was confirmed. However when we got to the front desk to check-in they had nothing blocked for us, no notes of the request, and no resolution other than 2 rooms with kings beds. This is an especially bad hotel for families or anyone traveling with friends because there is NO privacy. The shower, toilet and sink area were literally in the bedroom. The only division were frosted sliding glass doors. Because the shower is in the room with no extra fan or ventilation, and the 2 tiny windows in the room opened to a wall when I would return every day the room smelled as if I had left my car window open in the midst of a rain storm. Perhaps the worst part of the room are the 2 barrel sinks that are blocked off by a sharp edged ledge above them. It is literally impossible to wash your face without the majority of the water ending up on the floor and knocking your head on the shelf (see attached photo). Lastly, the rooms are incredibly dark, despite their being about 16 different light switches scattered about the room without any logical correspondence.
Moral of the story is that I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless they plan to be in and out for a night and need the convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed mid-week for 3 nights and was able to check-in prior to 15:00 (as requested), we were upgraded without asking so it was a nice surprise. The gentleman (Anthony?) at Reception was very helpful in providing suggestions on where to go and what we should do in the city.

The room was a nice size for 3 nights, with a large, comfortable bed. There was more than enough wardrobe space for 2 persons. The air-conditioning worked perfectly, so much that at times it was too cold! and very quiet as well.

The bathroom had two sinks (I love double basins), spacious toilet room, a separate rainfall shower and a bath in the centre of the room which was cool. :)

We had a small private terrace on the back side of the hotel so we could enjoy the sun and be away from the street noise. The blackout curtains were perfect for blocking out the sun when needed.

The only slightly negative comment would be the Wi-Fi signal in the room was weak. When we first tried to use it, it would't connect so we called Reception to see if they could fix it. Someone even came to the room after to check that it was working properly so I can't complain. I was happy they wanted to make sure everything was ok.

We did not go to the restaurant or have room service so we cannot comment on the food. We did not go the gym or jacuzzi on the terrace but it is nice to know they have it available. Housekeeping cleaned our room everyday and did not miss a thing!

The location of the hotel was perfect, we walked almost everywhere and it is very close to the Metro and bus routes as well so very accessible.

We will definitely come back and stay at this hotel! Thank you!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel have terrace and lots of sunshine
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

definitely not a five star hotel.
I got to the hotel after a long journey, and my room wasn't ready yet.
The Jacuzzi "pool" (more a bathtube) was "not working" (since when?), the room/hotel is eccentric and flamboyant, but had some minimal services (I had to ask for the slippers, the cups for tea/coffee were stained, the gym is a 2x2 cubicle, internet was down and had to wait for 2h), but the location is wonderful -- very close to main attractions and metro, and the room was very quiet and the bed comfortable.
no privacy at the toilet, design comes first.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Me and my partner arrived at around twelve, two hours before check in to see if we could leave our bags in the hotel as we had a early flight and wanted to walk around the city. The reception staff told us they had an upgraded room ready if we would like. The room was bigger than I expected and lovely and quiet.The location is great, right on Passeig de Gracia and a 2 minute walk from Placa Catalunya. Definitely get the aerobus if you're coming from the airport which I found both cheaper and faster than the taxi from the airport. The staff were nice and very helpful. Also check out the amazing view of Passeig de Gracia from floor five at the sunbathing area. The only downsides were that the jacuzzi was broken and the double bed was two single beds pushed together which easily moved on the wooden floor. I would recommend this hotel for couples as there is not much privacy with the open space bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just stayed there this past weekend. The location is excellent, at the beginning of the very chic Passeig de Gracia, and very close to Placa Catalunya. The staff were professional and helpful. The hotel is very small and didn't see much of it, but our room was beyond amazing! Huge room by European standards, with a lovely bathtub right in the center. The bed was huge and sooo comfortable. I'm going to hunt down that mattress and buy it for my bed at home! We also had a very cute balcony where I spent a lot of time watching passersby. The only bad thing about our stay was that we only stayed 3 nights... I wish we could have extended our stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, young or old, with or without children. Ask for room 108, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is not a 5-star hotel. Repeat, this is not a 5-star hotel. The room was nice and large with nice a nice design and the hotel was very well located (close to metro, walking distance to Les Ramblas ).

BUT I would definitely not recommend this hotel. The hotel does not have a pool but I saw that it had an exterior jacuzzi and sundeck so booked it anyway. I was disappointed to see that it didn't even work and was closed! This was during peak season and when I asked reception the response was simply that it was broken and they didn't know when it would be fixed. (My bet would be it won't be fixed even by the time you go). The fitness room is a joke (literally just a bike and a treadmill) and the hotel really does not have the facilities to justify a 5-star rating. No nice restaurant, bar, pool.

There were other touches that were not even 3-star let alone 5-star:
- The bathroom did not even have shampoo and conditioner which I would expect in any hotel. When we asked reception for some they sent more shower gel. No bathrobes, slippers, etc. either.
- We asked for a double bed but got two singles pushed together. We asked them to put a proper double mattress but they were unable to do this (initially they had said they would switch room for us but later that day apparently there was no room available. VERY BAD service!)
- The room key card would stop working frequently and we needed to get it reprogrammed at reception

Ignore the star rating. This is false. Only stay here if you value the location and you're getting a 3-star price. Otherwise avoid!

Room Tip: Make sure you clearly specify double bed if you are a couple!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karan L
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The staff reached the high stantards services of the hotel and that offered us the opportunity to feel like staying in a 5 star hotel. As it comes to the room, it was big with a king size bed, comfortable enough for two persons, modern style, looking at the front side, by Passeig de Gracias. The only concern was the shower cabin which was a bit smelling after having a shower due to lack of window, but that was just for a while. The breakfast was great, and delicious covering more than the expected our needs. The hotel was in the center of the city,couple of blocks away from most important sight seeing. Very convenient though to go anywhere at any time. We had 3 days only and because of the hotel place we managed to see all the most important places.

• Stayed: August 2012