“Room design not well thought out”

Eurostars BCN Design
Ranked #342 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here in February. The reception was friendly and helpful, the room was large and the bed comfortable. However: the sinks in the room were ridiculous with nowhere to put soap or towels. There were no shelves for clothes. Only one chair in the room. Shower was large but lacked ventilation - smelt musty. The lift near the room made a noise going up and down. We did not take any meals at the hotel so cannot comment on this.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Comments-JBB

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I travelled with my husband for a long weekend at the end of January 2013. The hotel is only 10 minutes walk from the Passeig de Gracia train stop from the airport. It is definitely in a 5* location in terms of getting around central Barcelona and only 5 minutes walk from Gadi's Casa Batllo and La Pedrera in one direction and La Plaza Cataluna and Las Rambles in the other direction. The metro is also on your doorstep. There are wonderful places to eat close by in all directions and great shopping including designer shops and El Corte Ingles. The reception staff were also 5* in terms of their excellent, helpful service, they were a great source of advice for non-tourist places to eat/socialise. The decor inside the entrance of the building and leading to the lifts is awful. The red and black "theme" is, in my opinion, reminiscent of a "bordello" and verging on the tacky. The rooms are not in our opinion 5*. They are quite small (think Paris-small) though well decorated. Word of warning to those of a shy nature... your "bathroom" is a few feet in front of your bed with your toilet "enclosed" within an opaque glass surround. There is an excellent rain-fall shower inside a spacious cubicle however the shower shelf was hanging off the wall. The lights in the room were on 4 different switches so we seemed to spend our time trying to work out which switch related to which set of lights. The lighting over the bed was horrendous - two halogen lights (which had to be removed every night because they continued to shine weakly even when turned off) on two bendy long arms which hung over one side of the double bed and which you had to negotiate past to get into bed every night, just doesn't work! I was glad I travelled with my Kindle Paperwhite so I could actually see what I was reading. The banging of doors echoed through the corridor constantly all day long from both staff and visitors. I'm not sure whether it's because of what the doors are made of or because the springs are loaded too tightly. Another traveller also commented on this to us in the lift. One good point about the room is that the windows open. as not everyone wants to use aircon all the time. The "business centre" consists of one computer that is accessible but has no printer and the other missing a screen.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

this hotel is wonderful, the location, the staff, the rooms , everything OK. to shopping is ideal; not far to Plaza Cataluña en the ramblas, many choice restaurants to eat.
The rooms are lightful en beautiful , breakfast is ok but i prefer to eat outside. the terras is big and the jacuzzi is great.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I came here with my boyfriend for a romantic weekend away. The hotel is in a prefect location, very friendly helpful staff, breakfast was lovely with a great choice! The room was lovely the only thing I didn't like was it was meant to be a basic double but the bed was two single beds pushed together. My partner and I usually always fall asleep spooning/hugging and we werent able to do this as the beds just moved apart. :(

I was very unwell the day we were leaving but thankfully the hotel was able to let us have the room until we needed to leave for the airport at 5pm for an extra €40 but when you're in that situation you really don't care about paying the extra!! We will definitely be returning in the summer months to make up for the time I missed with me being ill and to get some use out of the lovely hot tub on the roof. But Next time i will also request an actual double bed and not two single ones pushed together.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amy D
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very nice hotel, well decorated, designed, nice and original room, tasty breakfast. Well situated, on the one of the big streets of Barcelona and calm in the meantime. Close to the shopping centers, close to Gaudi creations. We spent nice time there and enjoyed our long weekend. We would not say that it is real 5 stars because of some details. But it was really good quality vs correct price.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed in this hotel last weekend for four nights and while the location is great I didn't think it was a five star rating.
The staff were very helpful but the hotel is very anonymous with no real lobby area or bar .
The first room I got was very dark and looked out at a wall directly ahead but as I had requested a quiet room maybe this was my own fault. However when I complained at reception I was immediately moved to a room with a city view which is what I paid for in the first place and it was fine.
There is a outdoor hot tub on the roof but no changing rooms up there and no robes in the bedroom.

Room Tip: 201 very dark with no view.
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed for one night before leaving for a cruise in December 2012. The next time we hope to stay longer. The location is great. We received excellent service, especially at the front desk from Ingrid David. Everyone was very, very helpful. Our room was clean and quiet. Great shower. In fact the room darking shades were so good we overslept. But when we called the front desk, Ingrid extended our check-out time. We were able to leave our bags in the room and check out late. They took our luggage from the room and when we were ready to leave, they met us in the lobby for the taxi they had called for us. We would suggest having a 220 - 110 converter for charging your camera, shaver, computer, etc.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family