“Didn't set my world on fire”

AC Hotel Palacio de Santa Ana
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Valladolid
London, England
“Didn't set my world on fire”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Strictly speaking I am not sure this hotel is in Valladolid (think Ryanair's approach to airports!). On the plus side they did not blink and eye when we turned up at 07:00 in the morning to check in - if only more hotels were this flexible - I was much relieved. The building is very smart inside and out and has a very new, airy & spacious feel to it. The room itself is modern and we had an excellent view over the gardens and river. It is very corporate and the vast majority of the other guests looked like they were on business.

Apart from the fact that this hotel is at least 5 kms from the centre of town my only gripe relates to the service and quality of the food in the restaurant. The restaurant does not open until 19:00 (this is Spain after all) so my wife and I chose from the bar/snack menu as we wanted an early night. The choice is very limited so we went for what should be an opportunity for any decent hotel to show they do the basics well - the ubiquitous burger. It was a thin as a pancake, obviously mass production bought in and burnt. Not great for a 5 star hotel. We sent it back and the kebabs were much better. (I know, I know - you are thinking Spain - burgers/kebabs? - that was all there was).

The following evening we plonked ourselves down at about 18:00 for a drink in the open 'bar' area. There was no other guest or member of staff around. When a manager type did turn up we were told someone else would attend to us soon. After a 5 minute wait I decided to vote with my feet - grabbed a cab and took a cab in to town. It is worth noting that there is virtually nothing in terms of bars/restaurants in the area, and certainly nothing of note within walking distance.

Overall this place just didn't float my boat. If I was on business then maybe things would have worked, but I was not, and it didn't.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark-choosy-chappy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, England
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night for a conference. The venue is very comfortable and the rooms are well maintained. The minibar is free which is a really nice touch, as are the free items in the bathroom.
Restaurant food was also really good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank JimBowen
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 1, 2010

AC Palacio is a beautiful hotel with newly renovated rooms that are large and tastefully done and at $120 p.n. as great value. Free internet in lobby and free mini-bar are a nice added touch. Given the hotel is 10 min. drive to center of Valladolid, I would only recommend staying here if you have a car. The hotel has a parking lot that is free.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HKFoodie
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed August 7, 2010

An incredible place! Great location, nice staff, lovely city.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rmda14
Lisbon
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We only stayed for one night en route to Portugal but would have liked to stay longer. We found our way to the hotel without any problems - there are yellow signposts on the main highway pointing to the turn for the hotel. The staff were very helpful both on arrival, in the restaurant and on departure. We hope to make this our regular stopping off place in Valladolid.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank billyboy2010
Marietta, GA
Reviewed April 16, 2010

An associate and I stayed two nights last year and two this year at about the same time. We thought the restaurant spectacular last year and complimented Sr. Arranz highly. This year service and knowledge of your wait staff very good, but the food quality slipped a great deal. We still find this hotel one that we would use when in the area. Wi Fi spotty and not particularly effective. A best buy in Spain.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank patdemarietta
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for business during almost 5 months and enjoyed it very much. Very good hotel with spacious rooms and a big bathroom. The hotel reception staff always gave me the room I liked and were very friendly. Restaurant staff made for dinner what we wanted, even if it wasn't in the menu... Excellent staff! Good price, very quiet, clean, good amenities, free minibar, excellent breakfast and a superb huge bed. I will always go there if I come back to Valladolid.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business