Tripadvisor

“Crunchy Pig”

Restaurante Jose Maria
Ranked #10 of 287 Restaurants in Segovia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This iconic restaurant has been a place for people to meet and celebrate since 1982. The teamwork and the personal attentions of José María make it a gastronomic benchmark for the people of Segovia, as well as for visitors from all continents, including renowned figures from politics, culture, science and the media, both from Spain and abroad.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I visited there on 19 January 2020. I ordered one portion of 'Milk fed suckling pig' and a dish of 'Lamb roll'. Both were delicious especially the roast pig, it was crunchy.

Date of visit: January 2020
RteJoseMaria, Propietario at Restaurante Jose Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear client,

Yours faithfully

Write a reviewReviews (6,244)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I wanted to love this place. Personnel were friendly, attentive and welcoming. Charming atmosphere (xc for the blue-toned LED lights in the back room - change those out). Food disappointing. Struck me as a place whose glory days were behind them and they relied upon their former reputation. We had appetizers, soup, suckling pig and dessert. Would not return for the food.

Very family friendly. Large dining rooms to accommodate the many tourists.

Date of visit: December 2019

Dear Teresa,

We would like to know further about your experience in our restaurante. Please, write us at comunicacion@restaurantejosemaria.com and let us know what happened.

Reviewed January 10, 2020 via mobile

Are you in Madrid ...? Take some time for a visit to Segovia and then go for a culinary experience at Restaurante José María. Beware: no reservation ... no table ! Very cheerful and traditional ambience. Very high quality food. We went for different dishes and I particularly enjoyed the spicy morcilla (blood sausage) and the tradition Segovian “Cochinillo” (suckling pig) roasted in open brick ovens -just water is added- and finally served with a particular and singular cut by the plate (we had the honour to have the owner himself to our table for that special service). They do produce their own wine too ... a really powerful and excellent wine: Pago de Carraovejas. We had Autor 2016 (D.O. Ribera del Duero) a blend of Tinto Fino 90%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5% and Merlot 5% -12 months in new and semi-new (3 years old) French and American oak barrels. A wine perfectly pairing with that type of food.

Date of visit: December 2019
RteJoseMaria, Propietario at Restaurante Jose Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Ale,

Reviewed January 10, 2020

- Though it was early (around 7-8 PMish, 2 Jan.), people were out on street and the bar area was packed. I was by myself, walked in, and sat at an empty seat at the bar (by the door). (It can be a little intimidating -- but don't be intimated!)
I pointed to what I wanted: 1) The salami (?) with breadsticks (the man to my R, a local, was having it with probably a glass of the house red wine--the salami and breadsticks were right in front of me); and 2) the chorizo (?) sausages (the two ladies to my left, locals, were having that) (the sausages were next to the salami & breadsticks). I loved that the sausages were piping hot! (I only got a half portion.)
Both were delicious!!! I only had these two tapas b/c I already had a dinner reservation elsewhere.)
To pay, I caught my waiter's attention and then waved a bill. He was very busy. He acknowledged me. (I didn't know how much it was and so just waved a bill.)
- I had tried to get a dinner reservation at Jose Maria a few days before. The easiest and best thing is to call the restaurant directly. I asked if the man who answered spoke English. I think that he did -- or they got someone who did. The man who answered was so very friendly, kind, and understanding (of my not speaking Spanish) -- and put me at ease. (The restaurant was already full on the nights that we could do.)
I really, really wanted to try the food here--and am so glad that I did (even though I was going to have big dinner that evening elsewhere).
Jose Maria is on my list for next time! Thank you, Jose Maria!

Dear cliente,

Reviewed January 9, 2020

If you want the Best Cochinillo in Spain this is the Place. I suggest Reservations, wait can be long. We keep visiting this Restaurant every time we go to Madrid, is not a long drive and worthy.

Dear Reinaldo,