“Cochinillo Pig-Out!”

Restaurante Jose Maria
Ranked #7 of 237 Restaurants in Segovia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tumwater, Washington
“Cochinillo Pig-Out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our waiter in Madrid recommended this restaurant to us. When you walk in, it looks like a small restaurant but there is another building in back which is huge. We sat near the framed autograph of the king who apparently loves this restaurant. We ate the famous cochinillo - suckling pig. The experience is not to be missed. They bring out the piglet and then cut it with a plate. The meat literally falls off the bone. Don't be surprised when you get the pig's leg and foot as part of your portion! Be advised though, your portion of piglet will cost 25 euro. While waiting in the bar, we were served complementary tapas - bread with jamon and cheese.

• Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
“You must experience this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

We were told by a local to go here for the best in Segovian traditional cuisine. So glad we did! I was with my husband and 11 year old son. The owner came out and greeted us after we had the artichokes with egg and ham. Not to take away from the main dish of roasted pig but this is probably my favorite dish period. Sedately Spain but maybe anywhere. We all ordered the traditional roasted pig and the owner came out and cut it with a plate in front of us. Service was perfect and food matched. I have been sorely disappointed by some restaurants in Spain but this is a must!

Visited December 2013
“Good but not great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I ate the famous cochinillo asado for a famous 25 euro but it wasnt ridiculously good. El botin, in Madrid, does a much better job. The appetizer was good and the staff was as nice as anyone getting a good tip from a heavy bill would be, no extraordinary treatment. In all, it was OK. If you are looking for an oldtown pricey eat, then go for it.

Boston, Massachusetts
“fabulous pig in Segovia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

My wife and I have visited Segovia twice previously, and enjoyed meals at Meson Candido. However, this time (September, 2013) we dined at Jose Maria for a change. This restaurant has a much better wine list, including impressive wines from Jose's own vineyards, and a better overall menu. The roast suckling pig was great, as were the sweetbreads, sautéed foie gras, and dessert.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Steve K
Sanford, Florida
“Amazing place with delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

It was my first time to Spain and Segovia was a highlight of the trip. Restaurante Jose Maria's owner was friends with my brother-in-laws family and he made us feel right at home. He was social and gracious and his signature pig dish is to die for. The entire experience was 5 stars and I truly enjoyed myself. He even started his own winery so his house wine would be top quality and it is. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but his wine is out of this world. I recommend this place 100% as a MUST see restaurant when touring Segovia, Spain.

• Visited October 2013